VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently purchased a mint condition ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb, and was planning to use this for vhs and video8 capture on Windows 7. I have read quite a lot about lossless capturing with VirtualDub, and understand that this method is maybe the best way to go for ultimate quality results. At the same time, lossless capture would maybe be a bit over the top for my family video8 and vhs cassettes. Maybe mpeg-2 capture would be sufficient quality and also less time consuming?

1. Is Catalyst Media Center compatible with Windows 7 64bit?

2. Can the Catalyst Media Center encode PAL video into PAL mpeg-2?

I have read conflicting user reports about both of these issues, that is the reason for my query.

I am grateful for any advice on this matter.
    Last edited by bjolester; 10th Apr 2016 at 00:03. Reason: Spelling error
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chances are the software may or may not work after all it hasn't update in 9+ years and was build for Vista at the time.
    It may become problem if you have AMD Video card that too new which may brake everything with lates Catalyst Software
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    its works, but you need do a fresh installation , i telling you by my experience

i dont know if you can adjust to pal in catalyst, im able to switch to pal using showbiz arcsoft , in win 10 probably 7 too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bjolester View Post
    I have recently purchased a mint condition ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb, and was planning to use this for vhs and video8 capture on Windows 7. I have read quite a lot about lossless capturing with VirtualDub, and understand that this method is maybe the best way to go for ultimate quality results. At the same time, lossless capture would maybe be a bit over the top for my family video8 and vhs cassettes. Maybe mpeg-2 capture would be sufficient quality and also less time consuming?

1. Is Catalyst Media Center compatible with Windows 7 64bit?

2. Can the Catalyst Media Center encode PAL video into PAL mpeg-2?

I have read conflicting user reports about both of these issues, that is the reason for my query.

I am grateful for any advice on this matter.
    In my opinion, Catalyst Media Center isn't fully compatible with Windows 7. I could install Catalyst Media Center, and it would work for a while using Vista compatibility mode, but eventually it would stop working. I could install Catalyst Media Center again, and it would work for a while using Vista compatibility mode, but eventually it would stop working again. After the third time around, I gave up.

I have an ATI TV Wonder 600 HD USB. I have read that the software encoder doesn't encode PAL video, but I cannot verify it. I have no devices which are capable of generating a PAL video signal to record. If you know how to build a build a filter graph in GraphStudio, you can try capturing from a PAL video source without using Catalyst Media Center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wonder 600 USB Graph No CC.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	36535

Graph Studio is a program that allows building capture graphs from components provided with a capture device's drivers, and by the operating system, various other software, plus some encoders. Capture software does the same thing internally. These graphs are for capturing using MPEG-2. You would use different encoders and different muxers and file writers for other video formats and container files.

Here is a general description of how you might proceed using GraphStudio:

The graph is built from left to right by adding filters and dragging an dropping with a mouse to connect "pins" (little nubs on the filter box) to build the graph.

One adds filters by clicking clicking "Graph" on the Menu Bar, then clicking "Insert Filters". This brings up the Filters window, and filters can be selected using the left-most dropdown list in the "Filters" window.

The first filter in the graph is the crossbar filter for the capture device, found under "WDM Streaming Crossbar Device". The second filter, also for the capture device, is found under "WDM Streaming Capture Devices."

The next two filters to add are the ATI MPEG Video Encoder and ATI MPEG Audio Encoder found under "DirectShow Filters".

Next comes the ATI Multiplexer and the ATI File Writer. Look for them under "DirectShow Filters" too.

The video and audio source are selected by right-clicking the Crossbar and clicking Properties. The video system is selected by right-clicking the WDM Capture filter and clicking Properties. The video and audio ncoder settings are accessible by right clicking the encoder filter box and selecting Properties.

Choosing all the right filters and connecting them often requires some trial and error, as does configuring the settings for the filters themselves. GraphStudio can sometimes add a missing piece between filters to make a connection work.

Once the graph is finished, and the options provided for the filters in the chain are set up, a user can click on the green arrow icon in the tool bar to start the capture. Clicking on the red square icon on the toolbar stops the capture.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Apr 2016 at 16:11. Reason: correction to graph
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    usually_quiet i want ask someting sorry for off topic its possible make a graph but for record only subtitles not video or sound. thanks.

showbiz its able to see properties too of usb 600 hd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    usually_quiet i want ask someting sorry for off topic its possible make a graph but for record only subtitles not video or sound. thanks.
    I don't know the answer to that.

Originally Posted by godai View Post
    showbiz its able to see properties too of usb 600 hd
    Yes, and Magix Video Easy HD could see the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD USB too. In fact, I tried the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD USB with several capture programs, free and paid, and it worked. However Showbiz isn't developed, sold or supported by Arcsoft anymore and there are not many legal options for obtaining it.

MPEG-2 capture is the problem for freeware. There are are one or two free VFW MPEG-2 encoders, but they only capture I-frames.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Apr 2016 at 19:25. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for providing good advice and interesting comments.

Usually_quiet: Thank you for your sharing your experience with the Catalyst Media Center in Win7. The Graphstudio seems like an impressive piece of software, but unfortunately way beyond my computer competance. Very interesting reading though!

Yesterday I ordered the Diamond VC500 video capture kit, including the Archsoft Showbiz software. It seems like an inexpensive and interesting kit, and maybe easier to get to work with current OS than the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb. Based on what I have read here on this forum, the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb is regarded as a better analogue video converter than the Diamond VC500. Would it be possible to capture vhs in PAL mpeg-2 with the Archsoft Showbiz software plus the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb?

I am primarily a Mac user and very much into photography. So the whole thing with vhs capture and PC is mostly unknown territory, that is the reason for the many questions. I guess when I get my PC all set up, I will be able to experiment and find out what combinations of software and capture device functions best��
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bjolester View Post
    Thank you all for providing good advice and interesting comments.

Usually_quiet: Thank you for your sharing your experience with the Catalyst Media Center in Win7. The Graphstudio seems like an impressive piece of software, but unfortunately way beyond my computer competance. Very interesting reading though!

Yesterday I ordered the Diamond VC500 video capture kit, including the Archsoft Showbiz software. It seems like an inexpensive and interesting kit, and maybe easier to get to work with current OS than the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb. Based on what I have read here on this forum, the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb is regarded as a better analogue video converter than the Diamond VC500. Would it be possible to capture vhs in PAL mpeg-2 with the Archsoft Showbiz software plus the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD usb?

I am primarily a Mac user and very much into photography. So the whole thing with vhs capture and PC is mostly unknown territory, that is the reason for the many questions. I guess when I get my PC all set up, I will be able to experiment and find out what combinations of software and capture device functions best��
    I last tried the ATI TV Wonder 600 HD USB with Arcsoft Showbiz well over a year ago for capturing NTSC video from a cable box. As I recall MPEG-2 capture worked. I don't know if capturing PAL video works. I have never had a way to produce an analog PAL signal to capture.

According to one of the video capture experts here, the VC500 is supposed to be good for VHS, if you run the incoming signal through a (line?) TBC first. Otherwise, it is not good at all.

There are many VHS capture threads at VideoHelp. and a lot of conflicting opinions regarding what is best.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help usually_quiet!
    Quote Quote