VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

can i rip DTS Music Disc ?

about ripper i use eac & CUEripper , and like audio editor ,audition cc 2015 & 2014

is there a guide how rip DTS Music Disc ?

about burn the cd ,i'm thinking about imgburn , here i have found a guide http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17#refburnimage
    but i'm not sure that this guide is right

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. As far as I know DTS CDs conform to the standard CD spec, so you should be able to rip them with any CD ripper as wave files. You'd need a DTS decoder to convert the ripped files to normal PCM wave files for creating a standard CD. One that supports DTS in wave files, I assume.

I don't use EAC myself but the internet seems to indicate it'll rip DTS CDs as wave files or rip and convert to flac, but it doesn't decode, so you end up with DTS in a wave file or DTS as flac. Don't hold me to that. It's just what the internet indicates.

Still you could try ripping with EAC and converting to standard wave files with any audio converter that supports DTS. If it doesn't like the wav extension try changing it to DTS.

If the audio is multi-channel, you'd have to downmix to stereo to create a standard CD. Once again you could try your favourite audio converter if it downmixes. Putting this Matrix Mixer in foobar2000's converter chain would do it. It requires manual configuration, but it has a normalise option which reduces the volume according to your downmix configuration to prevent clipping. Much like the "normalise matrix" option in ffdshow's audio mixer filter. foobar2000 comes with an automatic "downmix to stereo" DSP but I'm not sure it's careful about preventing clipping.

If you just want to make a copy without decoding the audio, any burning software capable of copying an audio CD should be able to do it. The guide you linked to seems to explain how to rip a DTS CD and use the ripped files to burn a new CD, but you'd have a burned DTS CD, not a normal one.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 10th Apr 2016 at 02:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    As far as I know DTS CDs conform to the standard CD spec, so you should be able to rip them with any CD ripper as wave files. You'd need a DTS decoder to convert the ripped files to PCM wave files for creating a normal CD. One that supports DTS in wave files, I guess.

I don't use EAC myself but the internet seems to indicate it'll rip DTS CDs as wave files or rip and convert to flac, but it doesn't decode, so you end up with DTS in a wave file or DTS as flac. Don't hold me to that. It's just what the internet indicates.

Still you could try ripping with EAC and converting to standard wave files with any audio converter that supports DTS. If it doesn't like the wav extension try changing it to DTS.

If the audio is multi-channel, you'd have to downmix to stereo to create a standard CD. Once again you could try your favourite audio converter if it downmixes. Putting this Matrix Mixer in foobar2000's converter chain would do it. It requires manual configuration, but it has a normalise option which reduces the volume according to your downmix configuration to prevent clipping. Much like the "normalise matrix" option in ffdshow's audio mixer filter. foobar2000 comes with an automatic "downmix to stereo" DSP but I'm not sure it's careful about preventing clipping.

If you just want to make a copy without decoding the audio, any burning software capable of copying an audio CD should be able to do it. The guide you linked to seems to explain how to rip a DTS CD and use the ripped files to burn a new CD, but you'd have a burned DTS CD, not a normal one.
    hi hello_hello
    what ripper do you use?

i just want to copy it, with 5.1 channels , and not convert to stereo
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Unless your DTS-CD is heavily scratched, I recommend foobar2000 itself for ripping.

If you want to extract the DTS stream from the .WAV file, use bsconvert.exe
    (from the AC3Filter Tools package).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Unless your DTS-CD is heavily scratched, I recommend foobar2000 itself for ripping.

If you want to extract the DTS stream from the .WAV file, use bsconvert.exe
    (from the AC3Filter Tools package).
    thanks
    and to burn ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use foobar2000 for ripping too. Not because I think it's better at it than other programs. Mainly because I already use it for converting and playback. It has a couple of secure ripping modes and it supports AccurateRip.

How do you want to burn the audio? You can't keep the original 5.1ch format and burn it as a normal audio CD, you need to burn it as a DTS CD, only I'd imagine as far as burning software is concerned, a DTS CD is a normal CD. It'd burn a CD from wave files oblivious to the fact they contain DTS audio. For the same reason, I'd imagine any burning software with a disc copying function could burn a copy.
    I've barely used ImgBurn so I'm not sure if it has an "on the fly" copy method, but you'd need two drives for that anyway. I assume you'd use Read mode to create an image file from the original CD, then Write mode to burn the image to a new disc.

When ripping a DTS CD you should be able to convert the audio to another 5.1ch format while ripping with foobar2000. ie 5.1ch wave or FLAC or AAC etc containing standard PCM audio. For that it'd need the DTS Decoder plugin I linked to. Otherwise it'd rip as wave files containing DTS. If you want to convert those DTS wave files to standard 5.1ch DTS files without re-encoding, it seems the program El Heggunte mentioned will do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Once again......"not enough information".
    The OP never explains if he wants to make an exact copy of the disc or extract the contents of the disc so he can enjoy the music on a non-DTS player.
    Quote Quote