VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on an HP DV5 laptop... can't get Windows Update to work. Tried all the solutions suggested by Microsoft, Mr. Fix It, etc, and others, plus other suggestions found on line.... nothing works. Left it on the Windows Update screen for hours, changed settings, only solution I found on line is to delete a Windows folder under System 32, but the computer won't let me delete it. Anyone know of a Registry edit that will fix this problem ? All Windows updates as of February 2016 were already installed with the operating system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Virus?

System Restore Point rollback? Reinstall..?

Most folders in the Windows folder (particularly in System, System32, and SysWOW64) are vital to proper operation, and brute/bulk deletions is not a smart way of figuring out what's wrong.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are windows fixes for WU problems, also, sometimes antivirus can interfere.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is a ms fixit tool just for windows update. get a copy of fixit tool 50202. don't run aggressive mode!
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    You may have to leave it at "Checking for updates" overnight. In other words, at least 8 hours. Windows Update's supersedence logic suffers from exponential scaling. As the list of patches grows for an old OS, the update becomes unbearably slow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    You can try this:

I also experienced issues with Windows Update searching forever for updates when Windows Update 7.6.7600.320 was automatically installed after updating the system to SP1 (this was after doing a clean install of Windows 7).
    The following worked for me:
    1. Manually install KB3083710
    2. Manually install KB3102810
    3. Restart computer
    4. Run Windows Update Diagnostic Tool in order to reset Windows Update (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058)
    5. Restart computer again and search for updates

Edit: I found this on the internet
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Instead using MS crap go for offline update installer - it is faster, better and allow you to update multiple computers without clogging bandwidth.
    http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Recently went through the exact same thing on a few different machines. Installed Win7 from scratch, tried all the KB for windows update and fixes and nothing seemed to work. The only thing that did work was to pull the update time to something close to the current time and WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. It could take 5-6 hours before it finally started. Makes no sense but that is all that worked.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WSUS offline update installer is a fine option, and works great.

But my experience is dat it only works if you install windows from scratch and NEVER used windows update on that machine.
    If you do than even wsus wil at some point of the install been busy for hours! just like normal windows update does
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I ran into the same issue on a new install of windows 7, and my windows 8.1 laptop,after a lot of reading various methods online I came across http://download.wsusoffline.net/ what pandy suggests fixed both of my computers and a friends as well.
    When I first installed win 7 the updates were working but as i continued to update it got to a point where the updates just hung, both the win 8.1 laptops were not fresh installs but it cured those as well.
    Last edited by fatbloke88; 9th Apr 2016 at 10:37.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at all the Windows Update files under System 32 on another Win 7 HP laptop, noticed a folder named "Handler" with two sys files that were missing on the DV5 laptop. Copied both files to the problem machine, changed settings to "Download Updates Automatically".... after a few hours of leaving the DV5 on, Win 7 downloaded a ton of updates, and it finally worked. Whether or not it will continue to work, remains to be seen......

THANK YOU for all the suggestions, much appreciated !
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I instaled Win10 on two ASUS computers one had Win7 the other had been upgraded to Win8, both upgraded to Win10 with no problems. One i had to reinstall my SONY Video software, the other worked fine but i still reloaded the SONY software.
    Both allow me to transfer my videos from camcorder to computers, and both will allow quick viewing of videos.
    I do have two other computers still running Win7 just in case i run into a Win10 problem.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Instead using MS crap go for offline update installer - it is faster, better and allow you to update multiple computers without clogging bandwidth.
    http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    Have run into this problem off & on, with multiple computers -- both desktop and laptop, running 32 or 64 bit editions of W7. Did not encounter it on 8.1 and 10 test boxes . . . though both of those croaked for other reasons, and I have not had time to do much in the way of recovery attempts with either. It has just recently happened with an office desktop running W7 that had mostly been trouble-free, up to this point. Twice this week, we let Win Update run for several hours, with nothing happening. The second time, I skipped some optional updates, and pared back the list of "Important" ones to a smaller number, but this made no difference.

In the case of one laptop, I also went through a set of all 6 YT videos outlining various fixes, and none of them worked ! I can only conclude that Win Update must be thoroughly hosed on that machine, and the only thing left to do might be to uninstall Win Update and reinstall it. In some cases, I think the problem must reside with the particular computer; in other cases, I think there may be some serious problem at Windows Update itself, from time to time. That is my working theory, until something better comes along.

That is why I'm glad I had bookmarked this thread, because I did not recall or have a record of the suggestion above. I'll give that a try, next time. But, I wanted to ask this: I had heard there was a MS Win repository online where IT types could go to download pretty much any KB patch, then apply them locally and manually to any computer, at will. Is that what this is ? If not, can this be found elsewhere ? And, when it comes to applying them, do you simply double-click on the KB patch(es) you've downloaded ? I vaguely remember doing this download file & apply offline routine in the past -- probably with XP or even earlier -- but I just don't recall the specifics. I think it may have been a bit cumbersome (in terms of navigating, or the steps), because they did not want to make this too easy.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 8th Oct 2016 at 01:20.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may be thinking of the update catalog, must be run from Internet Explorer:

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem with windows 7 32 or 64 bit. I could get the windows to update and I put sp1 on, but no more updates after that...

1) Update internet explorer to version 11

2) Add after internet explorer 11 add these fixes as stated:
    This has worked for me every time:

The solution:

Stop the Windows Update Service (wuauserv).
    Download and install KB3050265
    reboot
    Download and install KB3102810
    Reboot and check for updates again. All of our machines found their required updates in less than 5 minutes.

I hope this helps you...
    Last edited by maonstad; 8th Oct 2016 at 01:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Hmmm -- I guess you must be right about access via IE only. I got this:

"Your connection is not secure

The owner of catalog.update.microsoft.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify misconfigured sites"

But see my reply to maonstad, below.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maonstad View Post
    I had the same problem with windows 7 32 or 64 bit. I could get the windows to update and I put sp1 on, but no more updates after that...

1) Update internet explorer to version 11

2) Add after internet explorer 11 add these fixes as stated:
    This has worked for me every time:

The solution:

Stop the Windows Update Service (wuauserv).
    Download and install KB3050265
    reboot
    Download and install KB3102810
    Reboot and check for updates again. All of our machines found their required updates in less than 5 minutes.

I hope this helps you...
    Thanks for your reply, and I'm game to try almost anything at this point. However, I must cast a shadow of doubt on your "Gotta Have IE 11" idea, because:

The most recent example (office computer) to which I referred already has the latest IE 11, plus those KBs you cited, as well as nearly all KB patches other than what has been released over about the last 14 days. Secondly, one of my home computers (running W7U x64) has its IE still frozen at IE-9. Numerous attempted updates of that IE have failed, and my last recourse there will be to uninstall its IE and try to install IE-11 from scratch. (That may have attendant risks I would not lightly dismiss, so I've held off on trying that.) Nevertheless, on that particular box I can usually get whatever MS Updates I want. It has not been completely free from the Update hangs, but in general it has done much better than a number of other computers I have used or oversee.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm working on cleaning up a laptop this weekend and couldn't get Windows Update to work after installing Win7 SP1.

Installed the KBs above and no go. Finally ran Windows Update Troubleshooter here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e3246756...troubleshooter Despite the fact that it says it's for Win10, it worked fine on Win7 X64.

I've downloaded and am currently installing a ton of updates (over 1GB) and hopefully won't have any other issues.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I'm working on cleaning up a laptop this weekend and couldn't get Windows Update to work after installing Win7 SP1.

Installed the KBs above and no go. Finally ran Windows Update Troubleshooter here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e3246756...troubleshooter Despite the fact that it says it's for Win10, it worked fine on Win7 X64.

I've downloaded and am currently installing a ton of updates (over 1GB) and hopefully won't have any other issues.
    Great. I was at an awe at what to do , and I did what I did and it worked? At least you got it working.. That sound about right about the size of the updates...
    Last edited by maonstad; 10th Oct 2016 at 11:51.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Why is this non-vid thread choking up this sub?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I've had this problem many times in the past nine months. I tried dozens of "fixes." In the end it became obvious that it is simply a Windows server problem, and they are purposely degrading the upgrade of any computer to anything other than Windows 10. The solution? Just let the update continue for 24-48 hours. At some point it will magically start the process and, eventually, complete.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not entirely sure, but I think I solved the Windows Update problem with this file, from April 2016. Then changed the setting to let Windows Automatically download updates. Once I did that, updates started coming regularly, even the simple Windows Defender updates. I think the "server" problem went away after the free Windows 10 Update ceased in July. This file was applied to a Windows 7 Ultimate X86 32 bit laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  23. "I solved the Windows Update problem with this file,...."
    And what might 'this file' be?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Sorry, tried to upload the file itself, 9.27mb, guess it didn't work

Windows Update Agent 7.6x86 version 6.3.21.0

still not sure if this was the one that worked for me, I tried all kinds of nonsense to get my Win7x86 laptop to update, but this file is in my Downloads folder
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by joecass View Post
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Sorry, tried to upload the file itself, 9.27mb, guess it didn't work

Windows Update Agent 7.6x86 version 6.3.21.0

still not sure if this was the one that worked for me, I tried all kinds of nonsense to get my Win7x86 laptop to update, but this file is in my Downloads folder
    Please re-read my last post: you may just need to let the update run for 1-3 days. Eventually it will probably work.

I spent five days of my life on this one when I had to restore two computers to Windows 7. After installing Windows from the Microsoft discs, I wanted to apply the updates (even though I never update my own computer). It was then that I found out about these update problems. I too got lots of advice about downloading various patches and files and indeed, shortly after downloading one patch, the updates started. Then, a few hours later, I had to re-do the installation from scratch (long story). When it came time for the update, I used the file I downloaded, but this time the update stalled out, just like it had done before. I then had similar issues with a second computer and finally concluded that it was just coincidence that the update started working shortly after (note: not immediately) I applied the patch the first time.

I've then had to do this a few times after these initial two experiences, and having learned my lesson, just let the update run for several days.

I really don't think you can do much because the problem -- intentional or otherwise -- is on their end. I can give you many other examples of intentionally degraded functionality on XP and Windows 7 as Microsoft tries to force everyone to Windows 10. Since Windows 10 contains not one single useful feature compared to the last decent version of Windows (version 7), and actually not one useful feature compared to XP, and since Microsoft gave away Windows 10 for months, you have to ask yourself, if there is nothing in it for me, what's in it for them? I think I know the answers, but I'd sound like a conspiracy nut if I posted them. We'll see how it pans out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Why is this non-vid thread choking up this sub?
    Uh . . . because it's effing critical, maybe ?! 90+ % of the apps. we deal with here on VH run on Windoze.
    Would you build your 20-story hotel on top of shifting sand dunes ?
    But I have no complaint if the mods choose to relocate this to "Computer" section.

And, still working on the problem, hoping to come up with some useful answers . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft has made it really hard to find deployable (for IT and Corporate) updates. Snoop around www.technet.microsoft.com and www.catalog.update.microsoft.com for downloadable versions of updates. Having the kb# will be a great help.

Windows 7 SP1 is available for direct download here:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd641430
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yes Windows 7 SP1 is available but there are hundreds of updates issued after that. Some of those just will not update on my computer even after using most of the suggested help given in this thread.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Yes Windows 7 SP1 is available but there are hundreds of updates issued after that. Some of those just will not update on my computer even after using most of the suggested help given in this thread.
    Are these critical/security updates or optional updates ??
    And have you tried using open dns or Google dns to see if windows updates
    works ??
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Yes Windows 7 SP1 is available but there are hundreds of updates issued after that. Some of those just will not update on my computer even after using most of the suggested help given in this thread.
    Microsoft is switching to rollup updates for Windows 7. This drastically reduces the number of updates and it will be reduced further in the future. Only things like IE and .NET remain mostly separate.

Install in this order (restart after each):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3125574 (first big convenience rollup)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3179573
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185278
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185330

The rollup can be integrated into the installation ISO so installs become easier as well. (But there were already third-party solutions like that in the past)

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Hmmm -- I guess you must be right about access via IE only. I got this:
    It seems the catalog is now compatible with other browsers.
    Quote Quote