VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic AG-1970. I use it to convert VHS to DVD both to my Pioneer DVR and my computer.

I have noticed recently that the playback has been pretty bad. The picture looks fuzzy, almost like it was underwater. I thought it was the age and condition of the tapes (15+ years recorded in SLP) until I played the tapes in a nondescript Sony VCR that I have. The Sony played the tapes much better.

My questions are these: Is the Panasonic worth servicing? If so, where? (Note: I contacted a service center in Texas. I live in Northern NJ). Should I explore just buying another machine? I have seen the Panasonic AG-1980 and JVC H-S7900U available.

Appreciate any replies. Thanks.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did it ever look good for SLP? My two don't. (Okay, one of them is defective, but they both output a similarly grungy picture from SLP / EP.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Did it ever look good for SLP? My two don't. (Okay, one of them is defective, but they both output a similarly grungy picture from SLP / EP.)
    Good question. I thought it did but it had been a while since I used it and I started to use it again. I don't remember it looking this bad.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 1960 and I have to clean the heads and tape path on a regular basis. Old tapes start to lose their coating with age. SLP also usually looks pretty bad when trying to convert to digital.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies, everyone. After doing research, I decided to buy a Panasonic AG-1980 and use my AG-1970 as a lovely rewinder.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote