VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good day

If I want to record 10 bit 422 raw video to an external recorder(like an atomos star ) should I have a sensor on the camcorder that output 10 bit 422 raw ? (This is for raw hdmi output) I have heard there is camcorders or cameras that output 8 bit 420 raw which defeats the purpose of recording in 10 bit 422 as you will just have a larger size .

How can I deternine what a camocorder's image sensor raw output bitrate is?

Does the hdmi allow 10 bit 422 to pass to the external recorder? Do I need clean hdmi to do that ?

Also does all image sensors provide interlaced or progressive raw signal output? How can I determine if my sensor outputs interlaced or progressive raw signal?

Thank you
    Last edited by oduodui; 7th Apr 2016 at 04:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    How can I deternine what a camocorder's image sensor raw output bitrate is?

Does the hdmi allow 10 bit 422 to pass to the external recorder? Do I need clean hdmi to do that ?

Also does all image sensors provide interlaced or progressive raw signal output? How can I determine if my sensor outputs interlaced or progressive raw signal?
    HDMI as interface support fully RGB 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, also 8, 10 , 12 bit per component is supported - however your source may be not capable to provide anything over 4:2:0 and 8 bit.

Usually signal from sensor is progressive but some complex schemes of interleaving may exist to read data from rows (depends on sensor type, frame rate, interface speed etc)

You may try to use some moving pattern to understand capabilities of your sensor (you can even put some color stickers on a fan blades - shutter speed may affect results so be sure to have lot of good light).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you so much

I just want to ask does shutters come into the equation for for video recording? I thought shutters was only of importance in still photography?

Again thanks

Overall I just feel it is useless to record to an external recorder if you require puildown since it won't be the same quality as 30 fps progressive that was native output.

I have a suspicion that you going to have to fork out a lot of money to find a camcorder (especially long recording sessions) that has an image sensor that outputs raw 1080P at 30 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok read the article.

Does dslr's use global shutters?

So a ccd camcorder would be the way to go. AGain pretty expensive
    I suppose .

Yikes!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    Thank you so much

I just want to ask does shutters come into the equation for for video recording? I thought shutters was only of importance in still photography?

Again thanks

Overall I just feel it is useless to record to an external recorder if you require puildown since it won't be the same quality as 30 fps progressive that was native output.

I have a suspicion that you going to have to fork out a lot of money to find a camcorder (especially long recording sessions) that has an image sensor that outputs raw 1080P at 30 fps.
    Video is same rules as for photography only there is more frames in 1 second...
    Pull-down is only required to deal with NTSC, nowadays seem it is less important as many consumer devices accepting cinema framerates natively.
    Most of sensors is capable to produce 1080p30 RAW without problem (however it is more like Bayer grayscale than YCbCr - usually debayer and conversion to YCbCr is performed in video processor).

Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    Ok read the article.

Does dslr's use global shutters?

So a ccd camcorder would be the way to go. AGain pretty expensive
    I suppose .

Yikes!!
    But only Frame Transfer (i.e. twice larger silicone die than in case of other sensors) - best way to avoid rolling shutter issue is to use plenty of light and as such reduce exposure time.
    Nowadays more and more consumer cameras are capable to deliver decent quality 1080p60 - but not many of them offer RAW output (RAW is usually related to pro market).
    If you search for some relatively inexpensive camera then perhaps something from Blackmagic Design suit your expectations - this is more pro than consumer but you need to add optics and this may be expensive.
    There is at least one topic on this forum dedicated to camera selection but it is quite old so perhaps it will be good to create new one - describe all your needs and budget and i believe there is plenty of people with experience and they can advise you on this topic.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products
    Last edited by pandy; 7th Apr 2016 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks

I appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I feel like you guys are discussing two separate things. Pandy is (mostly?) talking about RAW as used in photography, i.e. undecoded sensor data.

OP wasn't originally asking about that, from what I see, despite using the "raw" term. He was just talking about uncompressed HDMI output.
    Quote Quote