VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used tmpgenc products in the past. I'm playing around with the trial of video mastering works 6 because I really like the editing interface. I've captured some things (720p, 60fps) that I would like to edit commercials out of and crunch down a bit. I haven't been able to find a good set of parameters to encode with that give me the same size/quality that I see in other things and it's perplexing me a bit.

It seems (anecdotally) that handbrake does a better job of size/quality than vmw, but even then I'm sorta guessing my way around. And that doesn't allow me to edit.

So, I guess I'm sort of asking two things:
    1) If I have 720p at 60fps what should I do with that? Should I do interlaced or progressive and what's a safe number that won't screw everything up (30? 60?). What's a good rule of thumb for vbr/cbr?

2) Is there other software that will do all this maybe with handbrake or something?

If this is all in guides I've missed, I apologize. There's just *so* much information here.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Doesn't video mastering works give you the option to use x264 ? That's what handbrake uses. If you use the same settings and build revision (assuming same processing/filtering) the results should be the same
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you looked at videoredo TVsuite h264 ... Version
    It can edit the commercials and only recode the necessary frames, not the whole video

the quality will be the same as the original capture

IF you are trying to improve quality above the original capture, then your talking about applying filters such as sharping, deblocking, shading
    and that is something different and results can vary greatly,

you may need to change capture hardware and software methods to get the results you want
    Last edited by theewizard; 6th Apr 2016 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your final output? Blu-Ray, DVD or just H.264/MKV for computer/BD player playback?

If it's just H.264/MKV, then AVIDemux is another freeware editor option.

And I use Handbrake a lot for DVD/BD conversions to MKV/H.264/AC-3 for my video backups for HDD playback.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just h264 is all I want actually. I'll have to look at videoredo again. I'm ok with a two step process.
    Quote Quote