VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I was wondering if subscription based programs for audio, video, photo, etc include the idea that a company, corporation, individual, etc owns your material?

How is it dealing with subscription based services? Does your hardware need to change a lot? Are your programs still working once your subscription stops?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Hi.

I was wondering if subscription based programs for audio, video, photo, etc include the idea that a company, corporation, individual, etc owns your material?
    I wouldn't think that many subscription-based programs would dare to claim ownership of your content among their terms and conditions. Nobody who creates content for a living would want to use those programs in that case.

The closest thing to that I have seen is Microsoft claiming the right to use your content without your consent if you use certain Microsoft services and publish your content without any conditions. However Microsoft also says that you retain ownership of that content, and they do not own it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. subscription programs do not own your content.

As to hardware requirements -- it's simply software, and therefore each program has its own unique requirements the same as any buy-outright software. Most subscription services require an occaisional internet connection to validate the license -- but again, each is unique. Some let you keep using the version you stopped subscribing on, some stop it outright. There's no general rule.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for the replies.

I have in the past emailed multiple companies and they explained the difference about using their soundpool collections or paying a license fee for something such as that, compared to no fees or clearance needed for playing or programming your own content. With subscription based services I wasn't sure if anything could be different.

What it seems I have read is related to what usually_quiet wrote about Microsoft or some companies potentially using your content as promo or on an "artist" page.
    Quote Quote