VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to digitize my DVD collection and I'm a complete novice. I've done some testing, read a bunch of info online and managed to find settings that appear to work well backing up movies and tv.

I'm having some problems with my sport DVD's. When I watch the original DVD on my tv, picture plays smooth. The mkv I create appears like it's running at a slower frame rate. They are PAL DVD's. When I check the Handbrake ripped version in VLC player it shows frame rate to be 25 which to my knowledge this is how it should be. I have been using 'same as source' in Handbrake and 'variable framerate.'

To give an idea of what I'm seeing, I also stream live sport so the difference in frame rate appearance is almost like watching a stream at 60fps compared to one in 30fps. Best way I can think to describe it.

Is there any setting in Handbrake which may resolve this problem?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sports is normally shot interlaced giving 25 frames per second but each frame contains two half pictures, called fields, displayed one at a time at 50 fields per second -- hence the smooth motion. Handbrake doesn't really support interlaced encoding. You should set the deinterlace method to Bob, and the frame rate to 50 fps. That will retain all the motion smoothness of your source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sports is normally shot interlaced giving 25 frames per second but each frame contains two half pictures, called fields, displayed one at a time at 50 fields per second -- hence the smooth motion. Handbrake doesn't really support interlaced encoding. You should set the deinterlace method to Bob, and the frame rate to 50 fps. That will retain all the motion smoothness of your source.
    Fantastic! Thanks! I'll try that right now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo, just tried it, worked great! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. You might run into problems: some older devices and computers can't handle 50p or 60p playback.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Works on everything I have, tested it, no problems whatsoever so it's a working solution for me.
    Quote Quote