VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yesterday I recorded a Formula 1 video with my DVR, I edited with VideoReDo and deinterlaced with MeGUI using Yadif with Bob. For some reason, when there is a fast motion in the video half of the frames look good like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	160401_1722(Rai Sport 1 HD).ts_20160402_112732.921.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	36364

and the other half look sort of blurred, with the color fading like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	160401_1722(Rai Sport 1 HD).ts_20160402_112743.750.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	36365

Is there a way to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. How did it look before you deinterlaced it?

The FOM feed consists of several parts -- main world feed, pit feed, overlay data, in-car channels that local broadcasters have some limited discretion on how to use. This is a long-winded way of saying there may be inconsistencies shot-to-shot that are compatible with 50i but might have to be deinterlaced on a shot-by-shot basis. It's also not out of the question you just did it wrong.

If you want to post a short sample that includes an on-track as well as pitlane shot, others can have a look.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    How did it look before you deinterlaced it?

The FOM feed consists of several parts -- main world feed, pit feed, overlay data, in-car channels that local broadcasters have some limited discretion on how to use. This is a long-winded way of saying there may be inconsistencies shot-to-shot that are compatible with 50i but might have to be deinterlaced on a shot-by-shot basis. It's also not out of the question you just did it wrong.

If you want to post a short sample that includes an on-track as well as pitlane shot, others can have a look.
    Before I deinterlaced the video, I checked it on PotPlayer with deinternacing on and, at first, it looked a bit strange. Aftert that, I cut a piece of the video and deinterlaced it with MeGUI and the result was what I posted. By the way here are some video samples.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you clarify what those video samples are?

Are they BEFORE videoredo , or AFTER megui and processing ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Can you clarify what those video samples are?

Are they BEFORE videoredo , or AFTER megui and processing ?
    After MeGUI and processing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You should upload the original, to determine if the problem exists when recording, or if it was something done by videoredo, or megui

But looking at the screenshots it looks the the chroma wasn't handled correctly .
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm sorry but I can't upload the full recording because my upload speed sucks and it would take forever. This is the first time this issue has occurred in over 4 years of Formula 1 recording. These are samples BEFORE deinterlacing with MeGUI, just cut with Videoredo from the original recording.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was asking for you to cut a segment from the original (not upload the entire original), but it's unlikely that videoredo did anything negative

This is chroma mishandling , resized in progressive manner to 4:2:0 instead of interlaced manner, when somewhere along the way it was originally 4:2:2 . Likely the broadcast was 4:2:2 or somewhere upstream in processing prior to broadcast. If it was broadcast as 4:2:2, the DVR or your equipment probably did the wrong conversion to 4:2:0 in a progressive manner

There is not much you can do to "fix" it
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, thanks for the help anyway
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since only 1/2 the fields are affected, people in the past have tried to reconstruct the chroma based on the luma and/or chroma from the "good" fields by various interpolation methods, but the results are mediocre - in some cases it works ok, but it can cause other artifacts in some places. Also scenechanges can pose problems to algorithms

If it really bothers you, another option is to single rate deinterlace to 25p instead of 50p (smoothness will become more choppy), keeping only the good frames
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah, the error is either at RAI, your service provider, or your DVR. At least it's consistent. Poisondeathray (as always) has laid it out pretty clearly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Yeah, the error is either at RAI, your service provider, or your DVR. At least it's consistent. Poisondeathray (as always) has laid it out pretty clearly.
    The error was at RAI because I recorded another video and the footage was good, there weren't any strange effects.
    Quote Quote