VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Let me first write what the problem is I'm trying to solve. I have one DVD in VOB format, of which I want to edit a tiny part of the audio stream/file. The approach I took was to demux, edit audio file and then remux, but somehow the subtitles become really messed up through this method.

Second I tried to demux, edit and remux one seperate VOB file, but then the media player (VLC) crashes when it tries to open it.

I have been working on this problem now for 2,5 hours but still no satisfying solution. Do you know any way how I can achieve this. Just for clarity. The DVD consists out of multiple VOB files, and only in one set of VOBs (the main movie) a few seconds of sounds needs to be muted. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by PurpleHaze22 View Post
    The approach I took was to demux, edit audio file and then remux, but somehow the subtitles become really messed up through this method.
    Maybe if you explained what software you used for this work, someone could help.

So, you actually have a complete and edited audio file for the main movie in the DVD? If so, take the video, fixed audio, subtitles (in SUP format), the chapters file, add them all into Muxman and reauthor the DVD. If you need any of those things extract them from the original DVD using PGCDemux. Fix the subtitle colors afterwards in PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit.

If you then need to integrate that DVD you made back into the original one (to keep menus and any extras), you can do that using PGCEdit, but you might need further instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi manono,

Thanks for your reply. Due to a lot of other activities I was not able to reply any earlier. So what I just did is the following.

1. Backup the DVD to my harddisk, there are 5 IFO files there. One main IFO (without number), the others are numbered 1 to 4.
    2. I took the fourth IFO file as an input for demuxing (because that is the main movie)
    3. Edited the audio stream, exported audio file in same format, and remuxed.
    4. However the output of remuxing process is again a VIDEO_TS folder with TWO IFO files (one with number, one without), also including one BUP file? I dont get why this happens.. Also the original cell structure of the the fourth IFO/VOB is lost after remuxing..

After this point I'm a little bit lost, I don't know how to integrate the fourth IFO file, including the VOBs into the original DVD structure. Is it simply a matter of deleting and adding in PGCEdit?

Getting the subpicture colors right will not be so difficult I think, I will just export a color file from the original DVD and use it later on to import correct colors again to the reauthored DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PurpleHaze22 View Post
    4. However the output of remuxing process is again a VIDEO_TS folder with TWO IFO files (one with number, one without), also including one BUP file? I dont get why this happens.
    Don't worry about it. It's normal.
    Also the original cell structure of the the fourth IFO/VOB is lost after remuxing..
    The cells/chapters won't magically show up. You have to add them in when reauthoring with your fixed audio. Get them from the original DVD using PGCDemux. They're in a Celltimes.txt file. In Muxman you add them back with File->Import Chapter.
    After this point I'm a little bit lost, I don't know how to integrate the fourth IFO file, including the VOBs into the original DVD structure. Is it simply a matter of deleting and adding in PGCEdit?
    Delete nothing. Open the original DVD in PGCEdit. Highlight the PGC to be replaced (your movie, which is being replaced with a 'new and improved' version). Then go File->Replace VTST Titles. PGCEdit will take it from there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you manono, for your quick reply and help. Now I have followed your advice, however PGCedit gives one error message due to the fact that there are two TTNs in the original DVD and only one in the edited version. I'm not really sure what this al means, therefore I added a screenshot.

What to do next? Edit: Never mind, I already found the solution

Edit 2: Ok, maybe I have not solved the problem. I just deleted the last TTN, replaced the first one and the DVD can be played. However when I want to navigate through the navigation menu to one specific point in the movie, the VLC player crashed. Does this have to do with deleting the last TTN, is there a way to solve it?

Edit 3: The current situation is, the movie is edited as it should be, however the navigation menu to jump to specific points in time does not work, but results in crashing of VLC. So the navigation menu needs to be fixed, is there any way to do this? The probleems seems not having anything to do with deleting the last TTN, because when I tested it directly after deleting and all worked fine. However after inserting the remuxed VOBs, or replacing the VTS files in PGCedit, the navigation menu is broken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Error message.png
Views:	145
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	36791
    Last edited by PurpleHaze22; 27th Apr 2016 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, when I wrote my previous response I was thinking it might be that, but it's rare enough that I didn't mention it. That's a problem with PGCEdit - that the replace doesn't work when there are two titles in the same domain. Go to Plan B.

Open the original DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the movie in the top screen so that it appears in the bottom screen. You'll see two titles, just as in PGCEdit. But one will have size and the other won't. One will be many MB and the other nothing or almost nothing. Highlight the one with size and hit 'Replace' over on the right side. Scroll to the correct IFO for your fixed version and take it from there. I prefer to use PGCEdit for this, when possible, (and I do it a lot) because you don't have to process the entire DVD. You can just move VOBs. So, VobBlanker is a little bit slower but it works.

You remade the fixed DVD with cells/chapters by now, right? And if you've messed up the original DVD with all that fooling around, PGCEdit saves the original IFOs so go File->Backups->Restore Backup. While working in VobBlanker you might want to 'Blank' (remove) any unwanted warnings, logos, trailers, and any other useless garbage in the DVD.

Sorry for the hiccup. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No worries about the hiccup, Im very happy with your help so far. However the story is not finished, due to the fact that I now have a problem with the format of the remuxed part. The original movie is played in 16:9 format, however after remuxing the video is in 4:3 format. I tried to modify the settings in Muxman, but it would not accept it. Therefore the question now is, is there any way to change the 4:3 viewing format to 16:9 view format. The pixel ratio can just remain the samen, I just want to reauthord the DVD as it was originally. For clarification I added two screenshots, one of the video format as it is original, and one after demuxing, editing, remuxing and replacing through Vobblanker.

Name:	Vobblanker original.png
Views:	96
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	36816

Name:	Edited movie - formal problem.png
Views:	99
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	36817

P.S. The menu structure is working again when I use Vobblanker, so that problem is solved.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Highlight and right-click in the upper window the one you want to change. Click on 'Video Attrib'. In the new box you can change it to 16:9. You'll probably also want to check 'Automatic Letterboxed' which defines how it'll be played on old squarish televisions.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoAttributes.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	36821  

Last edited by manono; 28th Apr 2016 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much for all the help, it is now all good!
    Quote Quote