VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I normally use a fresh copy of AnyDVD to take DVD films onto my hard drive.
    But when I downloaded it yesterday it said that I needed to buy a licence.
    I only copy a few DVD's per year so don't really want to pay out for this.

What else is there (freeby) that I can use now the AnyDVD has started to charge.

Thanks

K
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try dfab passkey lite free... to unlock decrypt on the fly
    use dvd shrink, "set no cpmpression" to rip the dvd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Slysoft went out of business and AnyDVD is now RedFox AnyDVD HD. Same programmers, but the owner of Slysoft is no longer involved.
    If you had the lifetime license for AnyDVD, it should still be valid, but limited time licenses also existed, and yours might have run out. Also, the lifetime licenses will lose access to the online database at the end of April, so everyone will need to repurchase the program soon, if they have a disc that requires access to the database. Those are almost entirely Blu-ray, not DVD's.

There are a few free alternatives. MakeMKV can decrypt and rip DVD's, but will only do so in MKV format for the main movie. There is no re-encoding involved, so the quality will be the same, but you lose menus, extras and the original DVD-video format.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is free to use. It is part of the DVDFab package, and will continue to work even after the trial ends. This part of DVDFab lags behind slightly on encryption updates, but that is not as important for DVD's as it is for Blu-ray. Still, you might run into a very new release that DVDFab HD Decrypter will not rip. Output will be DVD-video in file format, so you can't rip to an ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    I'll have a try at DVDFab Decrypter to rip and DVDShrink to bring the file down to a size that my (very old) PC will handle
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded DVDFab Decrypter and it said that the trail period had expired - as soon as a I open it.
    I clicked Try and then it say that as the trial has ended this programme will close in 60 seconds

So I can't use to rip a DVD
    Any suggestions please ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Clicking on Try should allow you to use DVDFab HD Decrypter, so I don't know what is going on with it. You can always use DVDFab Passkey Lite, as thewizard recommended, though it is limited on the types of DVD protection it will resolve.

There aren't many other free DVD decryption programs around that are updated anymore. Older programs like DVDDecrypter still work for the vast majority of titles, but you will run into some it will not handle. You could combine it with DVDFab Passkey Lite.

There was a program called TDMore Free DVD, and it is still available for download here at Videohelp, but it was abandoned last year. It was an offshoot of DVDFab, but since they have decided to ignore pressure from US courts, they decided it wasn't necessary to keep the program active.

Your best bet is MakeMKV, but as stated, it won't rip anything other than the main movie from a DVD, and you won't have the original format. If you absolutely have to have DVD-video as output, you could run the resulting MKV through AVStoDVD. It won't re-encode material that is already compliant to DVD specs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Use Handbrake, totally free. As long as your DVD is not encrypted or copy-protected, Handbrake is enough.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lets see 'once or twice' a year, with anydvd, and dvd decrpyter won't do it

Id say it is a new protected release, Don't you think ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sunnt View Post
    Use Handbrake, totally free. As long as your DVD is not encrypted or copy-protected, Handbrake is enough.
    Handbrake doesn't do any ripping...so what are you doing in this thread about RIPPING?

I recommend MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All
    Thanks for the help.
    I ripped using DVDShrink and then ran the video file through Handbrake.
    This seemed to do the job - although the files are a bit larger than when using AnyDvD, oh well.

Ha Ha but now I have another problem (with metadata) but I'll post that in another questions on the forum and hopefully some of you experts will be able to help.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote