VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Starting to get some laggy playback on .MKv videos. My cpu is an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2611 MHz. I was wondering if I could replace it with a AMD Phenom x4 9650 2.3GHz Quad Core Socket AM2+ 2MB 95W and just do a straight up swap? No new mobo or anything..? My mobo is also an old ASrock N68c--S UCC.. Just looking for some smoother playback on these high quality HD videos..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Was it not laggy before (with same CPU)?

What storage media is it on?

Background processes?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. You might be better off with a GPU that can decode. If I've clicked and followed the right links, it seems your onboard GPU can't.
    (Nvidia PureVideo) http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html

The MB has a PCI-e slot though, so you could add a card. I know nothing about ATI but Nvidia cards from around the Geforce 7000 era can decode h264. The 8 year old 8600GT in this PC does the job nicely. You could probably pick up a second hand card of similar vintage for slightly less than not much.

There's a list of old cards here and their decoding capabilities. A tick in the column labelled "H.264 Decode Acceleration with IDCT and CAVLC/CABAC" would be preferable. Without it they can't do all the decoding work, or not any of it, as the case may be. For h265 decoding, you'd need a fairly recent card. http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

I don't know much about player options, aside from MPC-HC. It's internal video decoder can be configured to use Nvidia Cuvid. MPC-HC no longer supports DXVA for XP (assuming that's what you're running), but Cuvid works well for me. I think MPC-BE might still support DXVA on XP. I'd have to check.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A good 2nd hand graphic card from nvidia should be more than enough i say (Gtx 560 / Kepler).
    With that mobo you can go up to a 6 cores Phenom II X6 2.8 Ghz.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/index.fr.asp?cat=CPU
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    It was never laggy before. I have a NVidia GeForce GTX 560TI. Started going laggy when I switched from a 47" LED 3D tv to a 65" LED tv, this pc is only used to play movies on my tv thats all. Would going from a medium sized tv to a large tv make any difference? So installing a new chip will be worth it or no?
    Quote Quote  
  6. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the problem is your CPU. I own a humble Pentium G630 (dual core 2.7 GHz) and I have no trouble playing 1920x1080 HEVC x265 videos with a CPU load of "only" 35-40%.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote