VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I really need a Blu-ray player that can play my dvd's closed-captions, so I was glad to see that most players released since 2014 (in the US) had that option (I have many R1 dvds).

The problem is that I live in France, and it looks like none of the European players have that built-in CC decoder (I checked the manuals online, but maybe they just don't mention the option in Europe?). So do you confirm, are there no players with the CC option in Europe? Could someone please check their european model (if it's less than 2 years old)? I know Sony, LG or Panasonic include this decoder on US models.

I guess I might have to buy an imported American player...
    Last edited by Nico Darko; 28th Mar 2016 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I could test on my Sony BD-1200 but I have lost my only closed caption DVD (Star trek 2: Wrath of Khan)...

Maybe if I could burn a test DVD with closed captions. But where can I find a sample dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for replying. Maybe you could just check the "system settings" and see if "closed captions settings" appear. See page 31 of this manual: https://docs.sony.com/release//BDPS1200_BX120_S3200_BX320_S5200_BX520.pdf

It does say "For customers in the USA", but I'd like to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. No Closed Caption setting under System Settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok Thanks for checking.
    Quote Quote