VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am looking for the most basic software that can convert a sound file with an image background to mp4 video.

The sound and image are produced separately but the program should allow user to load both and then convert to mp4 video.

I already use Studio + ULead but they are too big for that purpose.

The basic software is needed for someone else who doesn't have these anyway

Suggestions are greatly apprciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just as a test I created an AviSynth script with one line inside:

ImageSource("Picture.bmp")

I loaded that script with the picture BMP into RipBot264. Then I opened a separate audio file and had it make a 41 second long MP4. It worked. Probably not what you had in mind, though.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you manono. The end result issomething similar to "Picture.mp4", i.e. image background with sound.

The user is a complete novice. I am really looking for a basic program, if it rexists, where the user would do this:-
    -> start the prpgram

-> select the sound file

-> select the background file

-> click "make movie"

Thank you anyway!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was just wondering if it could be done using a command line - e.g. FFmpeg or something like it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tetrahall View Post
    I was just wondering if it could be done using a command line - e.g. FFmpeg or something like it?
    Yes you can - but I wouldn't call it "basic" for most people.

You would use -loop 1 to loop the image , and -shortest to cut off depending on whether the audio or video was shorter

It depends what it's going to be used for (what the target is, what device, what situation) , but it would look something like this, you would adjust the framerate, bitrates, audio codec etc as you see fit. Some types of input audio can be stream copied (-c:a copy) , instead of re-encoding, if the desired format is MP4. If it was for streaming for your own site you would use -movflags faststart to move the moov atom to the beginning. Not necessary if it was for something like youtube.

Code:
    ffmpeg -r 10 -loop 1 -i "image.ext" -i "audio.ext" -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -shortest output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you, poisondeathray, for your reply.

True, it is not the "basic" software I was looking for. I thought if there isn't one, then getting him to simply change the names of the image and audio files would be an easier alternative.

What it is, he is a teacher of English, and the videos are very short, to be used in classes: simply words displayed on a laptop screen (jpg image) and a voice (sound.mp3 ) pronouncing these words. The taget video format is mp4.

Given the above, do you think the code:-

ffmpeg -r 10 -loop 1 -i "image.ext" -i "audio.ext" -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -shortest output.mp4
    is right?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tetrahall View Post
    What it is, he is a teacher of English, and the videos are very short, to be used in classes: simply words displayed on a laptop screen (jpg image) and a voice (sound.mp3 ) pronouncing these words. The taget video format is mp4.

I would stream copy the audio if it's MP3 (MP3 is compatible in MP4 container). Not only is it faster, but the quality will be higher

Code:
    ffmpeg -r 10 -loop 1 -i "image.ext" -i "audio.ext" -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a copy -shortest output.mp4

Would you consider something like Ulead or any NLE with a timeline as "basic" ? If so, he could use a free video editor such as aviutl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you very much for the code and the suggested editor; aviutl. I will download it and see.

I will come back If there is a need for further help. Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should there be a great demand for it, the code could be copied to a smaller version of my larger program to do just the one tab functions. It may take a couple days to debug:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Mar. 28 23.33.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	36335

Or if more than one image is needed with or without transitions:

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Mar. 28 23.39.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	36336
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for the info.
    I am still experimenting with both ffmpeg + aviutil.
    But out of genuine interest, is your program available on the net to download?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tetrahall View Post
    It may be useful to visualize sound on screen, on your place i would consider to add wave and perhaps spectral characteristic of a sound. For some people may be beneficial to see sound.
    ffmpeg offer some filters to do such things - from practical perspective this may look like:

use picture as video background, use audio, produce additional overlay layer to visualize sound:
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/FancyFilteringExamples#Audio
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Waveform

btw i believe that mp4 is mpeg-4 part-2 ASP not h.264
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you very much, Pandy, for the interesting info!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tetrahall, I posted the program for feed back here and no one wanted to test it... I have sent a link to 5 people who promised they would give me feedback but not one has...

In reality it does too many things, including many of the histogram and waveforms included in Pandy's post (BTW Thanks so much Pandy for the MANY additional forms of waves!!!)

This program was written by me to do many, many of the common things listed on the tabs in the previous post that I cannot remember how to do. It is made to be used with FFMPEG, AVISYNTH and a player that will frame advance and go back such as Potplayer and others. It also calls whatever utility it needs, written by people sharper than me. I purposely made it so functions can be added and incorporate the best utilities and programs available for features needed.

You said you just needed a program to input (or drag and drop) the Image and Audio and make a video from them. A smaller easier to use utility could be made and just use the code and programs necessary that are already used in my larger program, copied over. It would need a little bit to do but if it is something that would be needed long term or for a good use for students, I would be willing to do.

Otherwise the ffmpeg format is like:

Name:	ScreenHunter_190 Mar. 29 16.30.jpg
Views:	1534
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	36337
    Quote Quote  
  14. hi Budman1,
    I wouldn't spend more time on the script just for this particular job. It is not long term.

Thank you for the offer anyway!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    tetrahall, I posted the program for feed back here and no one wanted to test it... I have sent a link to 5 people who promised they would give me feedback but not one has...

In reality it does too many things, including many of the histogram and waveforms included in Pandy's post (BTW Thanks so much Pandy for the MANY additional forms of waves!!!)

This program was written by me to do many, many of the common things listed on the tabs in the previous post that I cannot remember how to do. It is made to be used with FFMPEG, AVISYNTH and a player that will frame advance and go back such as Potplayer and others. It also calls whatever utility it needs, written by people sharper than me. I purposely made it so functions can be added and incorporate the best utilities and programs available for features needed.

You said you just needed a program to input (or drag and drop) the Image and Audio and make a video from them. A smaller easier to use utility could be made and just use the code and programs necessary that are already used in my larger program, copied over. It would need a little bit to do but if it is something that would be needed long term or for a good use for students, I would be willing to do.

Otherwise the ffmpeg format is like:

[Attachment 36337 - Click to enlarge]
    Sad that no one gave you feedback. Program seems good to me.. kindly provide the download link again. Thanx
    Quote Quote