VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. The simplest solution: don't turn the Raspberry Pi off. It only consumes about 1 watt at idle. It will only cost you about $2/yr in electricity.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those are low powered devices, different approach is applicable here, always on, always ready.

3. It is OpenElec but interface is Kodi basically. OpenElec is something that allows you to boot into Kodi right away.
    So your statement basically says, I do not like Kodi interface. Why is that? There might be different versions of Kodi for Raspberry , but basically all the same and similar.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The simplest solution: don't turn the Raspberry Pi off. It only consumes about 1 watt at idle. It will only cost you about $2/yr in electricity.
    Sweet! That's good to know, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Those are low powered devices, different approach is applicable here, always on, always ready.

3. It is OpenElec but interface is Kodi basically. OpenElec is something that allows you to boot into Kodi right away.
    So your statement basically says, I do not like Kodi interface. Why is that? There might be different versions of Kodi for Raspberry , but basically all the same and similar.
    Hmm I think I just found the interface a bit lacking in terms of being able to browse and see everything. I've only used it a few times and haven't really played around with any of the settings so might be that I just haven't explored enough.
    Quote Quote  
  5. there are two ways how to watch stuff,

first is "movies", where everything is sorted by library, so your content could be on any device, anywhere on network and you just find it by your preferences (actor, year, genre etc.), but first you need to tell Kodi what directory, device, DLNA server to add and then you can run that particular directory or location with a scraper of your choice, that creates that virtual library (watch some tutorial). Running that scraper is optional, but it pulles informations and picture from web and it is graphically pleasant to browse. Of course you do not let run scraper throu home video locations, because it cannot pull appropriate data over web, it would only screw up naming and images.

second way is browsing as you were looking for, using video/files, but again, first you need to add a particular directory with video files. This way you can add many locations external hardrives, shared files over LAN and input passwords as well if applicable. For windows share files I use Zeroconf sharing over Windows smb

Do not be let down by this, it might take time to sort it all out first time,but it pays back later on. You do not have to navigate all over network after you create those locations, directories, services you go into videos or movies right away
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theproman23 View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Those are low powered devices, different approach is applicable here, always on, always ready.

Hmm I think I just found the interface a bit lacking in terms of being able to browse and see everything. I've only used it a few times and haven't really played around with any of the settings so might be that I just haven't explored enough.
    Skins. There's a wide variety of ways things can be displayed with different skins.

I am not a fan of Kodi's default Confluence Skin and have used Aeon Nox for a couple of years. About six months ago I started using Arctic Zephyr. I like these skins because I can add "Favorites" to the Kodi "Blade". That way if I have UPnP source or something else I can just add it to the Blade, maybe add a custom icon, etc. Makes the Wife (and family) Acceptance factor much higher.

I don't actually use the network shares and standard "Movies, Music, etc." that Kodi defaults to because I use a DLNA server, Mezzmo, that lets me organize my libraries and control access a lot better than Kodi can. I simply create shortcuts to the libraries I create on my server and put them on the Blade as favorites. You can't do that with the default skin. You'll always be tied to Kodi's way of doing things on a certain level but you can present things in a lot of different ways with some very different skins.

What specifically are you disappointed in?
    Last edited by smitbret; 20th Apr 2016 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote