VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought some DVD's from someone.. in the past I've been using Vidcoder to encode my DVD's into mkv. No issues at all.

So I pop the first DVD that I just received and open Vidcoder. It shows Title 1 and Title 3. Where's Title 2 I thought? If I open the DVD in Windows Explorer it shows 3 large files of 1GB each.. do you think Title 1 and Title 2 are being stuck together in Vidcoder?

It was after midnight last night (I wanted to encode while I was sleeping) so I didn't get a chance to play back the DVD other than a few seconds worth.

Guess I'll just have to rip it, play it and fast forward and then do the same on the DVD to see if it all ripped.

Can I manually point VidCoder to a VOB file rather than just the whole DVD?

What format would you choose to rip to if you had to cut up the video afterwards? The video is a television show, but I notice the episodes are all strung together as one long video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen several DVDs where one of the Titles seem to be missing using VidCoder. But the DVD converted properly.

You can open just the VOBs, but the titles may span across more than one VOB, so you would have to join then after encoding.

If I wanted to cut out the episodes, I would probably use VOB2MPG or similar and not change the format.
    You could probably then batch them with Vidcoder to your desired format after cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. Will try later on tonight.

I asked the person I got the DVD from if it was meant to be one long video or separate. Maybe the DVD was burned wrong. I don't know what software was used, or what causes DVD's to be burned wrong.. but for example I've received DVD's from one person with some menus that show up fine (television episode number and name, thumbnail) and others that just show up as a blue screen and say TITLE1, TITLE2, etc. I don't mind, because the DVD seems to play fine. I'll have to open up the second DVD and see how it is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used VOB2MPG.. it worked very quickly. I know they're old TV shows, but still I can't help but wonder won't ripping to MPG hurt the quality? I'm not going to share files as an MPG with anyone.. I'll need to convert it to H.264/MKV. The pro version says it's 3 times as fast, but who the heck would buy something that requires a "fix" to work on Windows 10 and hasn't been updated in 5 years. Plus, this is fast enough.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    'Ripping' in this case is the proper term, as in a 'exact' copy of the contents of the DVD VOBs. They are already MPEG files, so no loss/no conversion.
    VOB2MPG just takes the MPEG out of the VOB container.

And MPEG format is easy to split or separate to individual episodes with no loss with several editors that handle MPEGs.
    Much easier than a highly compressed format like H.264.

Then you convert those whole bunch of MPEG episodes to your MKV (H.264/AC-3) format with a program like VidCoder.

Some episodic DVDs are all combined together to a single file, depends on how they were authored.
    If they are a single large file, then the method I outlined works very well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Got it. I didn't know they're just MPEG in there. I set up Vidcoder with the times of each episode and will start it once I go to bed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. PS - I think I know why Vidcoder only saw 2 files out of 4.. I think there's a setting to not take videos under a certain length. There's a video and in between is a 1 minute video of nothing, then another video, then another 1 minute of nothing. So it was skipping the 1 minute ones.
    Quote Quote