VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My internet gets kicked off every so often. I am connected wirelessly and using Windows 7.
    I reset my router and modem.
    I noticed it is connected to my wireless network connection "home". But at the top, it says currently connected to "home 2". What is the "2"? Is that what is throwing it off? I can't seem to get rid of the "2"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you check if the problem is the wifi connection or the internet connection itself is lost?
    The "2" can be renamed/deleted or whatever you like:
    http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/wp-images/Windows7-Network-large.jpg

click on the big house symbol on the left, I am already on Win 10 so I can't make a screenshot by myself, in Windows 10 I had to adjust my name with registry editor, seems to be the only way so far.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Internet connection is good because I get it on my other devices. Just this laptop intermittently gets kicked off.
    I dont have a "connections"
    access type = internet
    homegroup = joined
    connections = wireless internet connection (home)

Says the network discovery is turned off but it wont let me turn on for some reason even though I am the administrator.
    How do I rename it to get rid of the "2"?
    It is like it is connected to that network two times.
    Last edited by jyeh74; 19th Mar 2016 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should remove the saved wifi networks home and home 2 and reconnect this laptop.
    http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/24/windows-10/remove-saved-wi-fi-networks-windows-10.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. The "2" is a meaningless naming designation. It indicates you were on this network at one time, disconnected, and reconnected to it as a different net. No problem whatsoever with the name itself.

The problem you wish to solve is the disconnection. The name issue is a useless waste of time.

More info on the situation pertaining when the disconnect happens would be useful. Without that, experienced guesswork is all that remains.

With a laptop, particularly on battery, and again particularly when the network has not been accessed for a period of time, this would point to a power-saving mode, often set by default for network cards. Investigate and eliminate.

Other possibilities are a nearby unshielded electrical device, such as a microwave oven or radio transmitter, arc welder in your neighbor's garage, electric motors, etc. Sunspots.

Next is flaky card or router.

Knowing EXACTLY what procedure is followed to restore connection would be useful. Estimated time parameters, using real numbers, for frequency and duration of disconnect would also be useful. Concurrent wireless connections thru other devices at the same time and their response, distance of suspect laptop from router, name brands, models, much is missing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Total lack of OP response noted for future reference.

Will waste no further time on this individual.
    Quote Quote