VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I record to a standalone DVD recorder and rip to my PC. Can anyone recommend a free piece of software that can trim the resulting VOB/MPEG files and apply a short fade to or from black at the beginning and end, all without re-encoding the whole thing?

(I've developed a workaround method using TMPGEnc Authoring Works, but I'd have thought there's a simpler and more elegant solution out there.)

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt you will find any free software that can add fade-in/out easily AND without reconverting the entire video.

But doesn't tmpgenc authoring works just reconvert at the cuts?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    But doesn't tmpgenc authoring works just reconvert at the cuts?
    It does indeed, and it's the perfect tool for what I'm trying to achieve - provided the end goal is burning to DVD. Sometimes, though, I just want the MPEG file.

My workaround at the moment is to go through Authoring Works, build a DVD folder, find the relevant VOB file, and convert back into MPEG. It works, but surely there's a more streamlined way to do this, isn't there? I mean, I literally just want to top and tail an MPEG, applying fades in and out at the same time.

Is Womble my only hope, or is there a free alternative?
    Quote Quote