VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm tired of mucking about with pci cards dazzle / pinnacle etc

I tried using CCTV recorders and HDD DVD recorders, none are suitable.

I've been at this for more than 5 years now, and never found a simple solution.

Does anybody know of a device that will record footage from a fixed digital camera,
    into a normal ( avi / mpg etc ) file format that my editing software will recognise,
    with an easy / simple process to transfer it to computer for editing.

I am puzzled that such an obvious function is not available ( or am I looking in wrong places )
    Every method I have tried has some real problems.

For example:
    HDD DVD recorders dont have convenient outputs ( I suspect for copyright reasons )
    CCTV recorders are awkward to use, dont produce easily editable output files

Any Ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Please say more about your camera, your software and how you're using it. (Security? Classroom?) The simplest solution would be to capture directly into your NLE from the camera feed, but you seem to have some reason for not doing that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are you trying to do
    Edit security footage
    Or do something else
    Understanding what you are in need of, will help people help you

You might try using real cameras, not security cams, with composite video output
    Feed the av signal to an composite to HDMI converter
    Take the HDMI feed it to a stand alone game capture device that will record it to any USB flash drive or HDD as an mp4

It's hard to give advice with out more info
    Last edited by theewizard; 16th Mar 2016 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand your frustration. Us regulars have either a) been through it, or have b) been through it.

Capturing is a minor science, and has many different requirements depending on what you are capturing. Also, capturing VHS, TV, HD, DV, cameras, etc, each is its own branch. Yes, please give us more info on what your gear is, camera type, etc.

Originally Posted by herder View Post
    I've been at this for more than 5 years now, and never found a simple solution.
    I'm tired of mucking about with pci cards dazzle / pinnacle etc
    Well this explains alot. Somewhere in my posts I say a mouthful on Dazzle/Pinnacle and how they can delay any capture project. My first bit of advice is: Stay away from such garbage.

I said it before, and will say it again: Dazzle/Pinnacle products are so bad you can blame a divorce on them.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks folks for all your rapid responses.....
    very encouraging - I may actually be getting somewhere now !!

Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The simplest solution would be to capture directly into your NLE from the camera feed, but you seem to have some reason for not doing that.
    smrpix
    Reason is probably - too stupid !

After your comment, it gradually dawned that the reason for the pci / dazzle woes is defunct since the upgrade to digital cams.
    The unsatisfactory workaround of the digitise problem is now invalid, but my headset remained with the old setup.
    stuck in the groove !

So 2 issues remain:

1) need an effective RELIABLE capture utility ( preferrably compressed, since .avi is huge)

2) what port and / or connections to admit the digital signal to computing environment ( which will probably be an array of laptops )
    the signal is arriving via coaxial media with BNC terminals - needs to transmute into USB adapter ??

any suggestions or experience here ??

theewizard
    this is interesting too:
    "Feed the av signal to an composite to HDMI converter
    Take the HDMI feed it to a stand alone game capture device that will record it to any USB flash drive or HDD as an mp4"

what is HDMI converter pls ?
    what is a stand alone game capture device ?
    can you give examples pls ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    [ Sorry, folks. Unintended post ]
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    theewizard
    this is interesting too:
    Take the HDMI feed it to a stand alone game capture device that will record it to any USB flash drive or HDD as an mp4"
    That's horrible advice.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=lordsmurf;2437430]
    That's horrible advice.
    So what's better advice ........ ?

You all asked for more detail, to help, so here goes ( it might make more sense now I'm sober ! )

Years ago, I saw a cheap board cam on display in my local hardware shop, and bought on a impulse.
    This was analogue hence the capture & digitizing difficulties I mentioned. It was just a bit of fun.

we have used it looking at beer garden or harbour when on holiday, to capture odd behaviour.
    and for filming pranks in the 'You've been framed' or 'Candid Camera' genre.
    sometimes we put it on the bar in our local & did wind-ups on mates etc.
    so whatever solution needs to remain portable, and always spending as little money as possible.

Then as time went on I became more enthusiastic & ambitious, and submitted some clips to TV shows
    Then became aware that I wanted better picture quality, so recently took advice and bought a cheap oriental digital cam
    I was advised to switch to coaxial shielded cable with BNC connectors, but it is bulky & inflexible so defeats the purpose really.

The CCTV and DVD recorders I have experimented with, were all awkward to transport & position,
    and linked to the cam with phono cables which give flexibility to move it around.

Once the content is in the computer by whatever means, I edit with Pinnacle studio 10/14.

I make a little compilation of clips perhaps monthly, so what has evolved from that over the years,
    is that at Christmas I make a bigger sequence, and we all sit around the bar,
    and have a good laugh at the years tomfoolery - remember this? - remember that? etc etc !!

It has progressed from idle tinkering to more of a hobby, and since I retired I have more time,
    so decided to rethink the whole setup, and that's where I am at now.

As the cam is now digital, I realised from comments from smrpix that I can also dump the analogue recording devices,
    and use a laptop for the recording (which is quite portable). So that's a conceptual step forward.

Problems from that are:

1) what adaptation will get the digital signal from the cable actually into the laptop ?
    2) what software will fix the signal into a .mpg2 file for edit ?

Has anyone any suggestion pls ?

PS: lordsmurf - sorry to hear your health news- glad you're on the mend, keep on capturin on !
    Last edited by herder; 17th Mar 2016 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What type of digital camera you have, If DV you need a firewire cable, if memory card type just insert the memory card into your computer and edit the footage, As to your analog videos, what format are they recorded on ? VHS, Hi8, Video8 ??? More technical details ... more help for you.
    If you are laptop based like me it is going to be hard to find a good capture devices for analog video that use USB, They did make some good firewire based capture devices but their quality is limited by DV limitations, There is no USB 3.0 A.F.A.I.K devices that can capture losseless AVI with built in procamp and frame sync / TBC that are friendly to bad analog signal, There are some game capture devices with USB 3.0 but reported here in the forum that have frame drop problems or some other issues with analog video sources, But since you're not interested in capturing losseless you can forgot about USB 3.0 devices and you can focus on USB 2.0 devices.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've had good luck using the HDMI out from the camera and capturing with devices like blackmagic intensity.

But again, I'm making a lot of presumptions about your gear and what you are doing with it. "Cheap oriental digital cam" can cover a lot of bases.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    theewizard
    this is interesting too:
    That's horrible advice.
    With the very little info available...
    It was just one suggestion that might work

Too the OP
    I think something like a go pro or other camera with a high density flash memory of USB stick
    Would do the job
    Stand alone hide in the corner
    The files will be in MPEG or mp4
    Store in removable memory, just attach to the PC , transfer and edit
    No capture hardware needed
    An external battery out USB power pack will allow hours of fun time , only limited by storage space
    Quote Quote