VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have over 50 Mini DVDs containing videos that I have recorded using Canon DC220. When viewing a DVD with the videocam I can see several recordings and I can see the date when recorded. They can be played back and viewed on the television using a composite RCA video connection.

On the DVD there is one folder DVD_RTAV containing two files VR_MANGR.IFO and VR_MOVIE.VRO.

I am trying to edit the recording on my computer but I cannot find any software which can handle the separate recordings within the VRO file.

I have tried TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 in three different ways to create an MPG file, but each way gives me one recording 20 minutes long where all 19 individual recordings have been combined into one.
    The three trials are:
    a) Copy DVD_RTAV to hard disk on computer and work from that.
    b) use the DVD on the Canon where the DVD is not finalised
    c) Same as b) but where the DVD IS finalised.

Ihave tried various other packages but none of them seem to be able to do what I want.

Does anyone know any any other software which can handle the individual recordings within the VRO.
    Last edited by Perceptive1; 12th Mar 2016 at 10:44. Reason: Mispell
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know nothing about your camera
    My question is can you play vro file on your PC
    Can you open it in an editing program
    You have been treating this like those are folders, looking for the individual files inside
    I wonder if this is more like tape
    The ifo is a time position index, and the vro is one continuous movie file
    There are no individual recordings, it's one recording
    I think you need to load the vro file then edit out aka save each segment as a separate file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply Theewizard.

The VRO plays perfectly using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 but everything is combined together. 20 minutes with no breaks.

I think that I need something similar to IfoEdit but for VRO. IfoEdit uses the IFO file but is specifically for VOB not VRO.

I am not clever enough to use the IFO file myself. It seems a shame to lose all the recording Information which I know is present on the IFO file.

I am loath to go through each VRO file and define the start and end of each recording. Even if I did I would lose the date when it was recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may not have a choice
    DVD ifo is 'cell' based
    Not exactly the same as a time based index system
    I'm guessing the time markers might be on the camera disc
    The ifo index contains the time markers for each segment
    So the disc drive in the camera can move to the correct spot on the disc
    Something software on the PC may not be able to duplicate unless you can create an ISO image of the camera disc on the PC hard drive, containing the time markers and software to read it
    Last edited by theewizard; 12th Mar 2016 at 12:14.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At one time I used PowerDirector to extract individual recordings from DVD-RAM discs made by my Panasonic DVD recorder, which used VR mode. The software is not free but has a free trial. I don't recall if the recording date was part of the file name.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the attached file can open VRO and save segments - but it's been a long time and I don't have any VROs to test.

Use (Dracore) VOBTools to analyze and segment the file into .VOB files (rename the .VRO file to .VOB first).
    Highlight and extract the segments.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I think the attached file can open VRO and save segments - but it's been a long time and I don't have any VROs to test.

Use (Dracore) VOBTools to analyze and segment the file into .VOB files (rename the .VRO file to .VOB first).
    My security software AVG said there was something it didn't like about this so I didn't open it.

I hope you have not got a problem on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    At one time I used PowerDirector to extract individual recordings from DVD-RAM discs made by my Panasonic DVD recorder, which used VR mode. The software is not free but has a free trial. I don't recall if the recording date was part of the file name.
    Thanks for this advice.

I have an old cut-down version of Power Director which came with a bird box camera. I had uninstalled it but I still had the installation DVD. I have reinstalled the software and can confirm that it does handle the individual recordings. The are some problems with this version of PD so I may need to upgrade to a later version. The cut-down version does not handle Dolby.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Perceptive1 View Post
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post

My security software AVG said there was something it didn't like about this so I didn't open it.

It was probably a false positive. I scanned the file with Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and they didn't find any problems. However, I when tried VOBTools on a DVD-RAM disc recorded in VR mode, I found it wasn't possible to use it to process VRO files. It doesn't recognize them. It only lists VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Perceptive1 View Post

It was probably a false positive. I scanned the file with Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and they didn't find any problems. However, I when tried VOBTools on a DVD-RAM disc recorded in VR mode, I found it wasn't possible to use it to process VRO files. It doesn't recognize them. It only lists VOB files.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad there wasn't a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet

I made three short recording on a DVD-Ram disk & copied the vro file to the Desktop.
    Used vobtools to open the file;it listed three.
    I extracted three files as individual files then as joined.
    Worked OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	36147
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet

I made three short recording on a DVD-Ram disk & copied the vro file to the Desktop.
    Used vobtools to open the file;it listed three.
    I extracted three files as individual files then as joined.
    Worked OK.

[Attachment 36147 - Click to enlarge]
    I was using the DVD-RAM disk directly. I could use the "Browse" button to select the DVD_RTAV folder from my optical drive, but could not see any files, since the only choice under "Files of Type" was VOB. I could not go any further because it was not possible to select a file.

[Edit] I copied the DVD_RTAV folder to my PC, but that changed nothing by itself. I had to change the file extension from VRO to VOB to select the file and process it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2016 at 16:00.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Accessed the disk using vobtools, changed the search to *.vro and it picked it up.
    Opened the file and it read the three recordings.
    However since Perceptive 1 is happy with the other program, it's all moot now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard011.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	36149
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Accessed the disk using vobtools, changed the search to *.vro and it picked it up.
    Opened the file and it read the three recordings.
    However since Perceptive 1 is happy with the other program, it's all moot now.
    OK. That explains it. I just never thought to type in a file name that is not present in the list that a program displays as valid choices for input. From past experience, I expect any file with an invalid extension to be automatically rejected by the program, so I always use a mouse to select files from the list of choices displayed by the program.

Once I used your trick, I could select a VRO file directly from my optical drive. although I don't recommend doing that now that I have tried it. Analyzing the VRO file on the DVD takes as long as copying the DVD_RTAV folder. If someone is going to extract all the recordings, copying the DVD_RTAV folder file to a hard drive would save time over all.

VOBTools is still a good choice for VR mode recordings on DVD-RW because the individual recordings in a VRO file are always continuous on DVD-RW.

However, of the six or so programs I ever tried for copying recordings on DVD-RAM, only Cyberlink PowerDirector worked perfectly. I'm guessing that the reason is that none of the other software I tried allows for the fact that DVD-RAM disks permit individual recordings to be fragmented, like files on an HDD.
    Quote Quote