VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a large number of video8 /Hi8 tapes that I want to capture to digital format .I almost have the workflow optimized for the captures.

However as initial component of my workflow I have a D8 camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV238E ) with TBC and DNR working also in pass through that works fine with video 8 but as the “ color edge issue” problem . I also have a combo deck video8/hi8 – VHS (SONY SLV T 2000 ) that doesn’t have this issue but actual has smear . So both devices are not the ideal for playing my video8 tapes and getting the most from them.

I was thinking that probably a reasonable improvement to my workflow would be to get a better initial player for my video8 tapes. Probably a high-end Hi8 deck with TBC, noise reduction svideo output and if possible with dropout compensation would be a good improvement to get better initial tape readings so as my workflow would not be conditioned by the first and probably more important element in it.

Could anyone give me some clues about good HI8 decks or camcorders probably pro or Prosumer versions that could fit my needs , providing a good and detailed picture without smear or the color edge issue. I tried some other D8 camcorders and all have the color edge issue so the D8 path is somewhat compromised only if I knew for sure that it would not have this problem. I don’t have a fixed budget but if possible I would prefer not to spend more then about 350€.

I am in Pal Land and also would prefer a device located in Europe to avoid import charges that would increase significantly the final price
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The models that can be more easily found are:

Sony EV-S550E
    Sony EV-S700E
    Sony EV-S880E
    Sony EV-S900
    Sony EV-S1000E
    Sony EV-S9000E

If anybody knows these models and can recommend any for video8 playing and capture I would be grateful
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the Sony EV-C2000E which is a Hi-8 PAL deck. It has an edit switch which removes the colour bleed very well. I am very happy with the quality of this machine.
    Quote Quote