VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all

I am bidding on a digital8 camera which can play back hi8 and 8mm tapes.

Using the DV on the camera and into a ADVC100, is this the best way to capture Hi8/8mm tapes.

Or would i be best off buying a hi8 camera with s-video out and going through my Panasonic NV-HS960 (s-video/tbc), through an analogue to hdmi converter and into my capture device at ProRes HQ ?

Thanks for your advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How are you defining best? Highest quality?

Why would you connect the DV output to the ADVC100 rather than to your computer directly?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376837-DV-conversion-vs-lossless-capture-comparison...uto-load%21%5D

There have been a few other threads recently comparing methods with Video8 source.

Personally I would go for a Hi8 camera with TBC. Whether the internal TBC is better than your other options will depend. The S-VHS VCR will not help you. Its TBC is only operational for internal playback.

Going to all the effort of chaining the equipment together seems pointless to me if you're going to capture to another lossy format (ProRes).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Vaporeon for taking the time to respond.

How are you defining best?
    Yes. Best in this context would mean of the two options presented which would be highest quality.

Why would you connect the DV output to the ADVC100 rather than to your computer directly?
    The digital 8 camera is 4pin firewire. The ADVC 100 has a firewire 4pin input and a 9pin output and my mac has a 9pin. When written out like this.. I see your point. Infact... I will buy a 4 pin to 9pin cable today to cut out the middle tech.

Going to all the effort of chaining the equipment together seems pointless to me if you're going to capture to another lossy format (ProRes).
    Its a good point and only one that i would consider if it was suggested that SVideo was the best way to capture.

The reason that i suggested it is because i am putting together a second capture system with the tools that i have. I have a HD capture device called the ninja 2. It captures to ProRes HQ on a 1tb hard drive. It also includes an LCD monitor built into it so i dont need to buy a 2nd computer and monitor. I use it on my HD cameras to capture direct to ProRes rather than AVCHD.

I am getting lots more requestes to convert old tapes for people and before i get swamped, I am looking for affordable ways to capture footage without having to buy lots of equipment (computer/monitor/advc or other)

I would really be interested to hear if you would you suggest an alternate way with less equipment. Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by Sir_Loin; 9th Mar 2016 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Sir_Loin View Post
    I will buy a 4 pin to 9pin cable today to cut out the middle tech.
    That won't work on its own. You need FW400->FW800->Thunderbolt on a modern mac. It's the only combination that works with cameras.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV loses a lot of quality, so ProRes (422?) won't be "high quality" anymore.
    The data is already gone, thrown away by the DV converter.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote