VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    i would like to know your opinion on ths video, how to convert it right, should I rip it with YADIF and TFF or YADIF, TFF and check FAKE INTERLACE?
    Movie name is Maria di Nazaret (Mary of Nazareth), TV film

Code:
    Video #0          : AVC at 20.6 Mbps
    Aspect            : 1440 x 1080 (1.778) at 25.000 fps

Audio #0          : DTS at 1 509 Kbps
    Infos             : 2 channels, 48.0 KHz
    Language          : es
    Code:
    Bit rate                                 : 20.6 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate                         : 28.0 Mbps
    Width                                    : 1 440 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields
    Scan order                               : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.529
    Stream size                              : 14.9 GiB (91%)
    Language                                 : English
    Quote Quote  
  2. Convert it right to use it how? DVD, YouTube, BluRay, computer playback?
    Quote Quote  
  3. PC and TV media box playback, im confused with fake interlaced option, or maybe i should downscale it to 720p without Fakce Interlaced check? Whats my options please?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why convert it? Is it even interlaced or only encoded as interlaced? If you don't see any interlacing then it's not interlaced.
    Whats my options please?
    And what is your goal? Your best option is to just leave it alone. Saves time, saves quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I dont see any interlacing, but xvid4psp > analyze , came up with
    Source type: progressive
    Field order: unknown
    Deinterlace: Yadif

Input and Output framerate = 25.000fps

so thats why im confused

edit: and I dont understand yet, when to use fake interlaced option and when not on 1080i sources, can someone explain me that, please?
    Last edited by cybero75; 5th Mar 2016 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only reason to ever use the --fake-interlaced option is to author a progressive BluRay with a resolution/fps combo that normally requires interlacing. Are you trying to create such a BluRay? No? Then you should not use it.

Next question: is your source content interlaced or progressive? (MediaInfo does not show this)
    Look at it in an editor or player with the deinterlacing turned off. Do you see combing artifacts? Yes? Then either use --tff, --bff or deinterlace. No? Then encode as progressive (x264's default). (If there are combing artifacts on some frames with movement but not others you may have found telecine which needs IVTC, but this is not the case for 25 fps sources)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Given the fact that interlaced video reflects an era when technology required compromises and is quickly becoming a thing of the past a la the silent movie era, whenever I get my hands on interlaced content, I de-interlace it as a matter of course. Now, I never deal with commercial content (movies or broadcast), so my motivations are driven by factors that are a little differently than many others on this forum.

Now with all that said, de-interlacing HD content will be very intensive on your system. For this reason, I use QTGMC and in multi-threaded mode.

This doom9 page is a good resource to get started. I would start with single-threaded mode before tackling multi-threaded mode. Just as a benchmark the step up in speed for ST vs MT for me is about 6x on my i7 3770K which has 8 threads.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028
    Quote Quote  
  8. thank you sneaker and SameSelf for best answers!!
    Are you trying to create such a BluRay?
    No, so i dont need to worry about that option anymore
    Look at it in an editor or player with the deinterlacing turned off
    I dont see any artifacts, so ill encode it in my usual way
    de-interlacing...very intensive on your system. ...I use QTGMC and in multi-threaded mode
    yes its is .... ill try QTGMC with next live show 1080i BD, im using multi-thread 12, because i have i7 5820k CPU, i have some experience with encoding, however very little experience with interlaced/telecined sources
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by cybero75 View Post
    i have i7 5820k CPU
    Holy smokes! You have an Extreme sku with 6 physical cores! Then you should ABSOLUTELY be using QTGMC MT. The step up in speed from one physical core to 12 threads will probably be 10X. I don't recall off the top of my head what my fps is for HD content. But my guess is you will probably get close to real time speeds on that beast. It is one of the few applications in the wild, beside x264, that will actually make use of all your threads. Rock on!

Plus there just isn't a better de-interlacer out there than QTGMC. It does wonders with SD content, to be sure. But every time I de-interlace HD content, my jaw drops. The results are THAT STUNNING. I have seriously considered switching to shooting everything in 30i on my HD camera to "fake" 60p content.

Also, the setting to use in QTGMC is not necessarily equal to the number of threads you have. For example, I use 9 for SD content but 7 for HD content. The key is to start a little lower than your number of threads then increment it up one at a time until cpu usage is close to 100%. It is balance between speed and stability. SD content is a breeze. HD content is harder, and you will likely have to play with your SetMemoryMax setting as well.

Good luck and feel free to post back here if you have problems.
    Quote Quote