VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of new (and old) movies come with Closed Captioning (CC) rather than subtitles (eg, A Night in Old Mexico, The Red Baron)
    Actually they have both sub t's and CC. The CC does not 'appear' to either the media player or the tv or watch movie on computer, movie only or full rip. On the computer, I can turn on CC with 'WinDVD', but dont really want to have to connect a computer to the tv. I have a Dune media player and an older Phillps dvd player, neither displays CC.

Question: Do newer tv's and/or dvd players display CC? (tv from any input?)

If not, what other options are there?

-corne-

(add - Old Olevia tv, Argosy & Dune 303D & WD Live SMP media players)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 5th Mar 2016 at 11:30. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    A lot of new (and old) movies come with Closed Captioning (CC) rather than subtitles (eg, A Night in Old Mexico, The Red Baron)
    Actually they have both sub t's and CC. The CC does not 'appear' to either the media player or the tv or watch movie on computer, movie only or full rip. On the computer, I can turn on CC with 'WinDVD', but dont really want to have to connect a computer to the tv. I have a Dune media player and an older Phillps dvd player, neither displays CC.

Question: Do newer tv's and/or dvd players display CC? (tv from any input?)

If not, what other options are there?

-corne-

(add - Old Olevia tv, Argosy & Dune 303D & WD Live SMP media players)
    TVs are still required to decode and display analog closed captions. For a TV to display analog CCs, two things are necessary on the player side:

1. The player must be connected to the TV with a composite or S-Video connection. Those are the only two connections able to provide a video signal containing closed captions.

2. The player itself must transmit closed captions. Some players won't send them along under any circumstances. Other players have a setting that turns closed caption transmission in their composite or S-Video video signal on or off.

Some Blu-Ray players can themselves decode and display closed caption when using HDMI or component video connections. It isn't common for DVD players to do this.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Mar 2016 at 12:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your player accepts same name external subs or imbedded subs then you can convert the CC to subs. I use ccextractorgui to convert mine to srt. I then play the video with Potplayer and load the external srt file to see if they are in sync. If not I adjust the timing while playing to sync them up (Hold ctrl and press < or >). Once they appear at the right time it tells me the offset and I use that to calculate the adjustment needed in CCextractor. I delete or rename the srt file (seems to be buggy if you don't) and repeat the extraction/conversion step in ccextractor. There is an option to delay or advance the sub display time under "Output1" "time adjust" either positive or negative values in milliseconds. I recheck by playing and load the new external sub again. If all is ok then I have 2 options depending on how my player(s) accept the subs. Leave them external but use the same name as the original video (my Projector likes those) or remux the subs with the video (my bd player likes those). I use TS - m2ts files and/or MKV so I remux with TSmuxer or MKVMergeGui.

btw) I don't know your input files so it may be that you have to extract the cc in a separate step. With my files sometimes the cc is imbedded in the video when I capture from an OTA signal with a atsc to usb capture device and at other times it's already a separate bin (mcpoodle - google if you really want to know) when I capture the cc with an old analog bt878 tuner card while I capture the video and audio with a Hauppauge usb PVR2. In either case for me I just drag and drop the file either the cc (bin) or whole video with the imbedded cc onto the input window of ccextractorGui.

btw) Original BD or DVD are not a problem for my standalone players they always work It's only when I capture my own videos or convert something that I go through this. With age both my wife and I find it harder to hear voices over the loud music, explosions and the like in many movies so cc or subs are almost a must. We most often leave both the audio and the subs/cc on at the same time.
    Last edited by gll99; 5th Mar 2016 at 14:20.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote