VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So, this morning I woke up to no internet (because I forgot to send in a payment). Then I reached out for my personal wifi hotspot device and turned it on. When I did that and walked away, and came back, I found a strange looking tiny icon on the taskbar. So I moved the mouse over it to investigate it. It said that it was downloading a file or something and then went away. Then I went to the internet icon (the one that shows the 5 bars) and selected it and right clicked my connection to select Status. I did that to see if it was still downloading, and it was. Obviously, I am on a metered connection since my device is limited since it is a $25/1GB pay as you for wifi device.

My questions are: 1) how can i tell what is downloading, and 2) can I stop that download? before it uses up my wifi space.

I am down to 300MB the last time I checked last week.

I don't want to shut the device off bc then I will have no internet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can run netstat in a command box to see all the ip's you're connected to and then run an ip search to figure out who they are.

if you want the info netstat gives you interpreted then there are free advanced netstat type gui programs you can download like wireshark, currports, tcpview, ipnetinfo, etc.

[edited] added other programs
    Last edited by aedipuss; 4th Mar 2016 at 09:03.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use firewall and control applications rights.

Side to this it is not normal situation where unknown application doing something not expected...
    On your place i would check whole system with assumption that you have unwanted infection.
    Quote Quote  
  4. To better visualize what application is doing what you can use glasswire. It is a windows firewall frontend that will let you block specific applications.
    Process explorer and tcpview can be handy as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hope it isn't the dreaded forced stealth w10 install files download it's only about 4GB...
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anything I can do via command line to shut the chrome browser ? This is the only thing I have open right now connected, and looking at the usage, something is eating away at my minutes (of the 1GB space and i'm down to less then 200MB left since this morning)

I am at idle (except for this post) and i can see my minutes are being eaten up. I don't want to download anything at this time bc i just don't have the space left on the internet to spare.

edit: well, as it turns out, i ran out of space just as i was typing this message, my "internet on the go" device re-redirected me to my account to inform me i was out of space. my 1GB card ran out. I need a way to shut down (block) just the browser temporarily at a moments notice rather than closing the browser down because I have a few tabs that I take time to reload, plus that eats up the space on my account.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you uncheck allow background chrome processes to run when closed it might help. but chrome pretty much does what it wants, i have 1 tab open in this screenshot and chrome is running multiple versions of itself for reasons unknown.

you might be better of using firefox which doesn't do this behavior.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-05_101439.png
Views:	152
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	36008
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Enough reasons to dump Chrome.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote