VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a file which comes from a DVR recording via an AverMedia Game Capture II HD which is giving me a bit of a head scratcher.

- If I play the file as is, in MPC-HC, it's a stuttering mess. Totally unwatchable, low framerate and artifacts.
    - If I re-mux it to MKV, it's the same.
    - If I re-mux it to M2TS or TS it plays ok in terms of framerate but there is flickering on the non-still shots which to me means wrong field order.

- However, if I play the original MP4 file as is via the USB player on my Samsung HDTV it's perfect. No stuttering framerate and no flickering on panning.

I'm guessing that the field order has been switched during the capture and it should be TFF but why would it play without a problem via USB, and why the differences in container on PC? Some people have also said they can play it in Windows Media Player, but not VLC or MPC-HC.

Obviously i'd like to try and fix this so it plays perfectly in all players but I'm not sure what I can do without re-encoding or asking them to do it again? Are these media players interpreting the field order flag differently?

Here is the mediainfo:

Code:
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media
    Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size                                : 9.31 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1h 28mn
    Overall bit rate                         : 15.1 Mbps
    Writing application                      : Lavf54.63.104

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate                                 : 15.0 Mbps
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields
    Scan order                               : Bottom Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.289
    Stream size                              : 9.23 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                           : LC
    Codec ID                                 : 40
    Duration_LastFrame                       : -21ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
    Frame rate                               : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 80.6 MiB (1%)
    Default                                  : Yes
    Alternate group                          : 1
    Also here is a sample, still an MP4 exhibiting the same symptoms cut with VideoReDo -
    https://mega.nz/#!Zwh3HSjC!_uy5jur9wuHblwdV1e8-0K-HAsyELzOkHQK4ovPi-jc

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the stuttering is due to the high bitrate with the CPU being maxed.

Chances that the DVR created a mild format specific for playback in that without any regard for something else.

Re-doing it will not help. All you can do is re-encode with variable bitrate instead of constant.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It plays fine for me in MPC-HC, but it is supposed to be TFF. If there's a way to change the field order of an MP4 with AVC video without reencoding, I don't know what it is. But then, I've never had to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually that 'trim' plays fine for me in VLC (did not earlier) and WMP
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strange, I have no problem playing other 1080i H.264 videos with much higher bitrates (30+) so I'm not sure why this one would struggle. Looking at performance monitor it's not taxing my CPU at all, 5% load.

I just tried VLC as I didn't have it installed, no luck either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be the DVR. It could be the capture. It may be the quirky ISOM codec.

It could even be your system. Have you by any chance got a codec pack installed ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It could be the DVR. It could be the capture. It may be the quirky ISOM codec.

It could even be your system. Have you by any chance got a codec pack installed ?
    Nope, nothing like that. Just W10 + MPC-HC. The fact it plays ok as an M2TS but has the flickering because of the incorrect field order is also strange to me. The demuxed, raw .264 also plays in a similar manner.

I suppose the best thing to do is see if he can try and capture it again but make sure it stays TFF, that way a remuxed M2TS should be fine. Although I've no idea if the AverMedia Game Capture II HD even has such an option, it may force all of it's captures to BFF for all I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But you have to ask yourself why two people play atleast the 'trim' fine in different players whereas you fail to.

I do not know my friend's PC specs but I am still on Win7-64. Possible that Win10 is the culprit.

By all means ask about a recapture but you could always try your own re-encode. I am still suspicious about the constant bitrate which is probably down to the capture device designed more with gaming in mind rather than for general recording.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But you have to ask yourself why two people play atleast the 'trim' fine in different players whereas you fail to.

I do not know my friend's PC specs but I am still on Win7-64. Possible that Win10 is the culprit.

By all means ask about a recapture but you could always try your own re-encode. I am still suspicious about the constant bitrate which is probably down to the capture device designed more with gaming in mind rather than for general recording.
    Well indeed, that is strange in itself. Something about this file my PC doesn't like but others are ok with it, including the software in my HDTV via USB. I mean nothing about this is optimum, as you can no doubt tell this is an upscale anyway and bloated in bitrate but it's the only way he had to get it off his PVR, rather than a more ideal direct copy.

As you say that device probably doesn't give him many options, just a few pre-set profiles. He did say he might try and re-do it in 720p which might nullify the fields issue, who knows.

I was going to try a re-encode myself, just wanted to see if I could fix this first.

EDIT:

Out of interest if you guys remux this into a TS or M2TS container do you also see the flickering from the wrong field order, or not?
    Last edited by Killer3737; 1st Mar 2016 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes.

If the original is interlaced then capturing as progressive will certainly nullify the fields issue. It will also ruin the video.

I would have expected that there is a setting for field-order but not being familiar with that device I can not be sure. Seems that your friend is also tossing coins and hopes that heads come up

But would a simple field-order change work for you given your general issues with this. Better to try yourself. Even just with the trim to start with.
    Quote Quote