VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 29 of 29
Thread
  1. Nearly a year ago I posted thread on why 2016 would be the year of a new build.

    Well, just as I predicted, one can grab 4x16GB DDR4 RAM off Amazon for, yep, you guessed it, $500.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RZ618U

  2. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Nearly a year ago I posted thread on why 2016 would be the year of a new build.
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?

  3. Member bendixG15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Why would I want 64gb of RAM ????

  4. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Nearly a year ago I posted thread on why 2016 would be the year of a new build.
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?
    LOL. I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.

  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Why would I want 64gb of RAM ????
    I remember people saying 64 mb of ram was all you needed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

  6. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Why would I want 64gb of RAM ????
    I remember people saying 64 mb of ram was all you needed.
    640kB

    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Nearly a year ago I posted thread on why 2016 would be the year of a new build.
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?
    LOL. I predict the sun will rise tomorrow.
    I would not be so optimistic. The end of this world may happen anytime

  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    The 640kb was never proven that bill gates said it so i stuck to a more modern version of me own.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

  8. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    I remember my dad saying to me "What are you going to do with a (huge)1GB hard drive!!??"

  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    I remember deleting rar files on my 1 gb hdd as i was extracting files so i had enough space after.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

  10. Dinosaur Supervisor KarMa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    US
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I remember my dad saying to me "What are you going to do with a (huge)1GB hard drive!!??"
    When my mom got an IBM PS2, she got a 500MB HDD for it. A co-worker of her's told her 500MB is more than you will ever need.

    Currently I'm hurting for room with 6TB.

  11. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?
    An extreme sku with 64 gb of RAM hardly qualifies as a desktop computer, u moron. Stop trolling.

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?
    An extreme sku with 64 gb of RAM hardly qualifies as a desktop computer, u moron. Stop trolling.
    LOL You are deluding yourself or maybe just misrepresenting the facts again to save face. Just because you want to think of your build as a workstation does not make it so. You are building a high-end desktop. Intel classifies its Enthusiast lines as high-end desktop CPUs. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7ee-processor.html

    Their designated workstation CPUs are all Xeons. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e5-workstation-selection-g...ide-brief.html

    [Edit]As far as 64GB of memory, at present there are many high-end desktop motherboards with 100-series chipsets which support up to 64GB of memory. Most are intended for high end gaming systems. The Intel Extreme CPUs are also marketed primarily for gaming.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Mar 2016 at 14:23.

  13. hello_hello and usually_quiet are the same person.

  14. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    hello_hello and usually_quiet are the same person.
    Unlikely. AFAIK, usually_quiet never was harassed and banned by neuron2, to begin with.

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    hello_hello and usually_quiet are the same person.
    Unlikely. AFAIK, usually_quiet never was harassed and banned by neuron2, to begin with.
    Yes. It would be hard to ban someone from doom9 when they never joined. LOL

    SameSelf is just angry because I caught him misrepresenting the facts again.

  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    SameSelf is just angry because I caught him misrepresenting the facts again.
    lololololololol. not even. usually_quiet and hello_hello. are they the same person? let's weigh the evidence shall we? here are the facts:

    1. Both have two word handles
    2. Both use all lower case in their handles
    3. Both use an underscore to connect their two word handles
    4. Both never stop trolling me
    5. Both are morons

    no serious gamer would ever drop $$$ on an extreme sku and 64 GB of ram versus 2- or 3-way sli/x-fire when nearly every game is cpu bound these days. but i don't expect you to grasp any of that, so i am stopping.

  17. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Good.

  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Good.
    You felt compelled to say that? Why may I ask?

  19. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    SameSelf is just angry because I caught him misrepresenting the facts again.
    lololololololol. not even. usually_quiet and hello_hello. are they the same person? let's weigh the evidence shall we? here are the facts:

    1. Both have two word handles
    2. Both use all lower case in their handles
    3. Both use an underscore to connect their two word handles
    4. Both never stop trolling me
    5. Both are morons
    I think the only thing we really have in common is contempt for opinionated posters who refuse to discuss subjects rationally. All you have to do is perform a quick search on this form to discover usually_quiet and myself don't always agree on everything.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/362170-Bill-Gates-back-at-Microsoft?p=2300486&viewf...=1#post2300486

    What's next? Will you claim we're the same person with a split personality? Schizophrenic maybe?
    I hope so, because that'd be funny coming from someone who exhibits a split personality but only requires a single ID to do it.

    SameSelf: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/371589-PC-Build-for-2016?p=2387822&viewfull=1#post2387822
    So now that my dinky little phone shoots 4K video, I am thinking 2016 will be the year of a new build if I ever want any hope of editing this stuff in a sane manner. I built my current system in 2011 using Intel's Z68 chipset. While I upgraded from Sandybridge to Ivybridge and have 16 GB of RAM and an SSD for the OS, my system is simply too sluggish, especially when rendering, but even when editing. However, I am beginning to think 2016 is going to be the perfect convergence of several new techs on the horizon:

    I guess there must be several new workstation techs converging in 2016 that aren't relevant to desktops, and will never move down into the home computer desktop market, given the desktop is dead and all.....

    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    An extreme sku with 64 gb of RAM hardly qualifies as a desktop computer, u moron. Stop trolling.
    Sorry, but "DDR4 Prices Dropping Like a Rock" doesn't only apply to workstations. Two bonus points for a fairly effective red-herring, but zero points for relevance.
    Is 32GB of DDR4 cheaper than it used to be too? Can I put that in a desktop?
    Are DDR4 prices dropping like a rock unless you want to add 16GB to a desktop?

    You're confused. Nobody trolls any more. It's not 1995. The only trolls left are the trolls who troll by accusing other posters of trolling.

    Anyway.... was there another thread where you predicted 2016 would be the year of the new build ?
    Are the rest of us mere mortals desktop users while SameSelf is a workstation user?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd Mar 2016 at 02:36.

  20. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    I love watching these people self-destruct. Everyone knows that people who PRETEND to ask questions about the "rig" that they are building are actually only after one thing.....congratulations or posts of admiration about the "rig".
    This is no different.

  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Wasn't that before you predicted the death of the desktop? Is 2016 the year of the second coming?
    An extreme sku with 64 gb of RAM hardly qualifies as a desktop computer, u moron. Stop trolling.
    LOL You are deluding yourself or maybe just misrepresenting the facts again to save face. Just because you want to think of your build as a workstation does not make it so. You are building a high-end desktop.
    The way I've always looked at it, workstations are just high-end desktops. http://foldoc.org/workstation
    Now that they're mostly x86-64 based, it's very hard to find the line between them.

    Still, maybe SameSelf is correct, and the desktop is dead while 2016 is the year of the new build. My next build will still have the same components I decided on six months ago, but to be politically correct in 2016 I'll describe it as a low-end workstation..... out of respect to the desktop.... may it rest in peace.
    Unless of course hardware for low-end workstations will slowly disappear because it's been 8 years since my last build, while the high-end hardware market thrives. I'm sure SameSelf will be able to explain how that works....

  22. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    The term "workstation" becomes meaningless if any especially powerful desktop system qualifies. Intel must have a reason for classifying the i7-5960X and its predecessors as HEDT (high-end desktop) CPUs.

    I'm guessing ECC memory is one of the reasons. ECC memory is used to detect and correct memory errors. The use of ECC memory has been one of the distinguishing features of both workstations and servers, where it is important to maintain data accuracy. If someone is going to over-clock, ECC memory is out. It isn't compatible with overclocking. Also, since stability and reliability are also very important for workstations, overclocking isn't desirable. The i7-5960X is designed to allow overclocking.

    Unlike Xeons, current i7 CPUs (including the i7-5960X and other HEDT CPU's) specifically don't support the use of ECC memory. X99 motherboards, which are required for a Haswell-E CPU, do support ECC memory, but only if a Xeon is installed. This same situation is going to continue with Skylake-E and Skylake-based Xeons.

    [Edit]I decided to take a look at non-ECC DDR4 memory prices. 64GB kits with 4 memory sticks are selling for between $360 and $700 depending on the speed and whether or not an air cooler is provided with them. No wonder SameSelf backed away from his original idea of installing 128GB of RAM.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Mar 2016 at 10:27.

  23. Bonus points to the two-headed hydra that is u_q and h_h for high-jacking this thread and making it about an unrelated thread.

    Anyone else besides me surprised that DDR4 is cheaper than DDR3 now?

  24. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Anyone else besides me surprised that DDR4 is cheaper than DDR3 now?
    Once again you exaggerate. Overall, the prices are comparable for kits with the same capacity.

    What kind of idiot doesn't expect prices to fall once something becomes mainstream, without high demand, or some kind of raw materials shortage, or a disaster to drive prices up? The demand for Skylake systems is not especially high.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Mar 2016 at 12:12.

  25. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Anyone else besides me surprised that DDR4 is cheaper than DDR3 now?
    It's not.

  26. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Bonus points to the two-headed hydra that is u_q and h_h for high-jacking this thread and making it about an unrelated thread.
    What a convenient memory you have. You brought up your planned build twice before I joined this thread, and one of those times was in the initial post.

    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Nearly a year ago I posted thread on why 2016 would be the year of a new build.
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    An extreme sku with 64 gb of RAM hardly qualifies as a desktop computer

  27. more babbling from the giant two headed troll u_q and h_h

  28. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    SameSelf's reputation here has now gone from dead to worse. It has decomposed.

  29. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Time for the thread to be closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.




Similar Threads