VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    having trouble working with this unknown sourced dvd video. Seems like it's 29.97 progressive encoded interlaced (see combing). Most 5th frames are a blend. Also some dupes present, but original video plays smoothly.
    Tfm/tdecimate makes jerky video. TFM(), Deinterlacing or Bob/Srestore(29.97) plays smoothly but occasionally drops a frame. QTGMC/selectodd causes a dropped frame in the sample. Using "selecteven" avoids the drop in this sample, but creates one a minute or two later.
    Also sometimes the video plays smoothly regardless of field order, sometimes it's TFF only.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Im no expert, but I tried playing it in VLC player with its built in de-interlace using the blend method, and the footage looked fine. Is there anyway you could pass it through VLC, and then out again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    tfm(order=-1)
    srestore(frate=23.976, speed=-25)
    The source is pretty poor, and seemingly completely interlaced on top of the telecine. Normally for FILM material it would be a pattern of 3 progressive frames followed by two combed frames for telecine. But with this it's all seperate fields. But I think I managed to get most of the blending out, and restore it to NTSC FILM.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by KarMa; 29th Feb 2016 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    karma, interesting solution, but it creates a dropped frame a couple minutes later (in same spot I mentioned).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may try messing with srestores(speed=##) setting. -25 is the most detailed/slowest while 25 is the fastest, with 9 being default. I changed it because 9 was not removing all the blends in your sample.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mountains of gear vaporeon800's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    seemingly completely interlaced on top of the telecine. Normally for FILM material it would be a pattern of 3 progressive frames followed by two combed frames for telecine. But with this it's all seperate fields.
    The portion that looks completely interlaced is just "phase shifted".

Frames 0-134 are normal, then there's a duplicate field that causes the phase shift, then there's another that causes 418+ to be normal again. When I say "normal", I mean besides the mentioned frame blending.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the first sample, a dropped frame can occur when the man hanging up his coat turns his head quickly. In the later scene (2nd sample here), another drop can happen as the same man's face becomes visible behind the other guy's head.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote