VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could somebody please tell me what are the correct settings for these? I tried creating a HEVC mkv a few minutes ago but got the following error log

[*] Beginning dub operation.

[i] Dub: Input (decompression) format is: YUV420.

[i] Dub: Output (compression) format is: YUV420.

[i] VideoEnc: mkvmerge v8.8.0 ('Wind at my back') 64bit

[i] VideoEnc: Error: The file '--crf' could not be opened for reading: open
    file error.

[i] AudioEnc: ************************************************** ***********

[i] AudioEnc: * *

[i] AudioEnc: * Nero AAC Encoder *

[i] AudioEnc: * Copyright 2009 Nero AG *

[i] AudioEnc: * All Rights Reserved Worldwide *

[i] AudioEnc: * Package build date: Feb 18 2010 *

[i] AudioEnc: * Package version: 1.5.4.0 *

[i] AudioEnc: * See -help for a complete list of available parameters. *

[i] AudioEnc: ************************************************** ***********

[i] AudioEnc: Processed 0 seconds...

[E] Error: The video encoding process has prematurely exited with an error
    code of 2 (00000002). Check the log for possible error messages.
    [*] Ending operation.

And I don't know what program to put in for the MPG profile.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to put e.g. x265 as video encoder. The command needs to include a "-" to signal stdin coming from VirtualDub.
    Read through the following:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You need to put e.g. x265 as video encoder. The command needs to include a "-" to signal stdin coming from VirtualDub.
    Read through the following:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature
    Sorry but I can't understand any of that. It's all Dutch to me. I don't actually know or understand anything about video conversion. I just need to know, very simply, what steps I need to follow.

I've got 3 HEVC x265 set as the video encoder for HEVC (mkv), and here's the command argument.

--crf 24 --preset medium --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fps) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

What do I need to change?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The command-line looks correct. I think you may have actually pointed the video encoder setting to mkvmerge.exe instead of x265.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    The command-line looks correct. I think you may have actually pointed the video encoder setting to mkvmerge.exe instead of x265.exe.
    Sorry for taking so long to get back about this. Have a lot on my plate. Yes, as it turns out, you're right. I did have the video encoder pointed to mkvmerge. Corrected now. Thanks.

Having other problems though too. Can you tell me what to point to and what command-lines to use for animated gifs and mpgs?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Can you tell me what to point to and what command-lines to use for animated gifs and mpgs?
    Anyone know the answers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Can you tell me what to point to and what command-lines to use for animated gifs and mpgs?
    Anyone know the answers?
    Point it to ffmpeg.exe
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  8. Either that. Or for animated gifs you can also use the integrated feature of VirtualDub: File>Export>Animated GIF.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Anyone know the answers?
    Point it to ffmpeg.exe
    Done. I need help with the command arguments for animated gifs though. How do I write these in such a way that vdub will understand?

ffmpeg -i input.ext -vf palettegen palette.png

ffmpeg -i input.ext -i palette.png -lavfi paletteuse output.gif
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Either that. Or for animated gifs you can also use the integrated feature of VirtualDub: File>Export>Animated GIF.
    Thanks but vdub's integrated animated gif maker can't produce the quality I'm looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ffmpeg -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -f rawvideo -i - -vf palettegen palette.png
    ffmpeg -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -f rawvideo -i - -i palette.png -lavfi paletteuse "%(tempvideofile)"

The 2pass encoding isn't automated so you have to create both as separate "encoders" and also export twice. Make sure palette.png is writable, if in doubt try with a complete path like c:\writable_folder\palette.png.
    Last edited by sneaker; 24th Apr 2016 at 10:28. Reason: replaced output filename with variable
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    ffmpeg -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -f rawvideo -i - -vf palettegen palette.png
    ffmpeg -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -f rawvideo -i - -i palette.png -lavfi paletteuse output.gif

The 2pass encoding isn't automated so you have to create both as separate "encoders" and also export twice. Make sure palette.png is writable, if in doubt try with a complete path like c:\writable_folder\palette.png.
    Sorry, I don't understand what any of that means. you're talking to someone who knows nothing. I just need step-by-steps. You have to spoonfeed me. I don't know anything about any of this. I just need a single line that I can copy and paste into the command arguments section of the Edit External Encoder Profile box. You gave me two lines. I don't know how to put those in.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 24th Apr 2016 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Can anyone help out? I tried those lines in the command arguments field but all I got was an anonymous pipe error.

This is what I have under Edit External Encoder Profile.

Type: Video Encoder

Program: C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe

Command arguments: -f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vf scale=640:-1: sws_dither=a_dither -r 10 -pix_fmt rgb8 -loop 0 "%(tempvideofile)" (total gibberish to me)

Output filename: %(outputname).gif

Launch parameters: Interpret non-zero return code as error Checked
    Redirect standard output to log Checked
    Redirect standard error to log Checked
    Delete output file before starting Unchecked

EDIT: There's no space between the -1: and the sws but if I put : and s together here, I get
    Quote Quote  
  14. Can anyone help me with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should be something like this:
    Code:
    -f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vf scale=700:-1:sws_dither=a_dither -pix_fmt rgb8 -loop 0 "%(tempvideofile)"
    Make sure to change the framerate in Virtualdub prior to encoding. I changed framerate to 12 fps for this test example. And don't add a .gif extension on your save file box, just enter the name and the extension will be added when saved.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkplug.gif
Views:	319
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	36786  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    It should be something like this:
    Code:
    -f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -vf scale=700:-1:sws_dither=a_dither -pix_fmt rgb8 -loop 0 "%(tempvideofile)"
    Make sure to change the framerate in Virtualdub prior to encoding. I changed framerate to 12 fps for this test example. And don't add a .gif extension on your save file box, just enter the name and the extension will be added when saved.
    Sorry, you don't seem to have read what I've said. It's ALREADY something like that.

I want to use THESE commands INSTEAD.

ffmpeg -i input.ext -vf palettegen palette.png
    ffmpeg -i input.ext -i palette.png -lavfi paletteuse output.gif

Is there a way I can paste THOSE commands into the command arguments field so vdub will understand them because if I just paste the first command, then a space, then the second command, all I get is an "anonymous pipe" error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That will require making a two pass processing scripts. I'm not even remotely interested in this, so won't waste my time figuring it out for you. You'll have to figure it out for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    That will require making a two pass processing scripts. I'm not even remotely interested in this, so won't waste my time figuring it out for you. You'll have to figure it out for yourself.
    OK. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  19. On the positive side, I did figure out the problem I was having creating mpgs with vdub. Under Edit External Encoder Set, I had Multiplexer set to MPG. I changed it to MKVmerge and now it works fine.
    Quote Quote