VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread
  1. So I'm working on a slide show for a client that I originally created in Windows Movie Maker. I exported it to an MP4 file. The quality was outstanding and the client loved it. But she wanted DVD's made for some of her family. So I loaded up the MP4 file in Premiere Elements and created an ISO file to make DVD's. I burned the first DVD and noticed the quality was much lower than the MP4.

    I puzzled over this for a couple of hours when my son walked in. I told him what was going on and he immediately said that the resolution on DVD Video was 720, much lower than the resolution of an MP4 file.

    Duh!

    I felt like an idiot. I have a BS in Computer Science and 35 years of experience in the computer world and I completely stumbled over the obvious.

    Just had to share with you guys...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't feel stupid, we've all been there. Some of us were trying to make VHS look good on DVD back in the day.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Typical DVD-Video is 720480, which looked great in the days of analog television but is pretty ugly on a modern hi-resolution display. You probably reduced the quality further by recoding an already-compressed file. You can make a DVD directly from Windows Movie Maker if you have Windows DVD Maker (included in Vista Ultimate/Premium and Win 7 or by trial download.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Typical DVD-Video is 720480, which looked great in the days of analog television but is pretty ugly on a modern hi-resolution display. You probably reduced the quality further by recoding an already-compressed file. You can make a DVD directly from Windows Movie Maker if you have Windows DVD Maker (included in Vista Ultimate/Premium and Win 7 or by trial download.)
    I had actually thought about seeing if WMM would export to an AVI file just to prevent double compression. That was just before my son made me feel dumb...

    I can't remember why I started this project with WMM in the first place. I already had some experience with Premiere Elements which allows exporting to DVD Video.

    I'm still learning anyway...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Don't feel stupid, we've all been there. Some of us were trying to make VHS look good on DVD back in the day.
    Been there, done that, also.

    It's amazing now to see just how poor quality VHS was. Of course, the magic back then was recording live TV so we could stand mediocre video.

    I purchased an Hitachi VHS camcorder in the late 70's (I believe). Set me back $1,200. Had to balance it on my shoulder. It's unbelievable how far we've come.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    720x480 can look good on a bigger lcd hdtv as long as you have a high quality source and encode it to a high enough bitrate for a dvd video,making it anamorphic will make it look even better.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    OneIron, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    OneIron, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

    Moderator redwudz
    Point taken...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    720x480 can look good on a bigger lcd hdtv as long as you have a high quality source and encode it to a high enough bitrate for a dvd video,making it anamorphic will make it look even better.
    Thanks for that! I have a ton of old VHS tapes I plan to re-digitize as soon as I can find a good VHS box with s-video output. I'll probably be bugging you guys on the best method...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads