VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This maybe a simple Q.

Refers to DV capture of old VHS sources, and often its mentioned 'deal with the chroma noise'
    How do you identify chroma noise ? what does it look like and how do you assess for example what parameters you need in CNR2 plugin to deal with it.

For example in the John Meyer noise reduction script he has a pair of lines for VHS:

Code:
    chroma=source.Cnr2("oxx",8,16,191,100,255,32,255,false) #VHS
    denoised=MDegrain2i2(chroma,8,2,0)
    or is it a case of always applying that adjustment whenever you are dealing with VHS source material ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can view the chroma channels in isolation as greyscale images with UtoY() or VtoY().
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry to be a bit dense ... but what am I looking for .. in an image and if I use x these commands
    I am unsure what is good and what needs fixing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find the Camcorder Color Denoise filter in VirtualDub to be superior to anything that can be done in Avisynth, when it comes to chroma noise.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. DB83 - thanks .... I had done some Googling .... many posts pointed here and fixes, wanted to understand the issue and how to recognise & interpret it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I find the Camcorder Color Denoise filter in VirtualDub to be superior to anything that can be done in Avisynth, when it comes to chroma noise.
    I had been looking around and came across your post:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/565-vhs-chroma-flaws.html
    In that you describe use of CNR ..........and the add you now find "Camcorder Color Denoise filter" better, do you run from VD .... if so are default settings good enough or care to advise what are better ?

The 'readme' file gives following:

Code:
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin ("c:\Program Files\VirtualDub\plugins\ccd.vdf", "ccd",0)
    ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true)
    ccd(30,1)

but I can't find any infor as to what the values relate to .... again if you use form Avisysnth could you advise on setings (if those are not ideal)
    Quote Quote  
  8. The first value is the threshold, the second is the multithreading flag.
    Quote Quote  
  9. is it 0= non MT and 1=MT or do I need to set a number of threads?
    Can't find any details on this plugin
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can see how the values relate to the filter by using Video -> Save Processing Settings in VirtualDub. Change a setting in VirtualDub, save settings, then see what changes in the .vdscript file (it's plain text so you can read it with Notepad).

Or do it the other way around. Change the vdscript file, load settings, then see what changes in the filter.
    Quote Quote  
  11. For commercial tapes in A+ condition (i've tried on many over the years) you have to lower the threshold to 7-10 so ccd(10,1)
    in addition of ccd you can use removespotsmc it often help on chroma fluctuations that ccd can't remove (for old tapes generally)
    a typical script i use:
    avisource()
    assumetff()
    separatefields()
    input=last
    U = UtoY().RemoveSpotsMC()
    V = VtoY().RemoveSpotsMC()
    YtoUV(U, V, last)
    weave()
    ConverttoRGB32(matrix="rec601",interlaced=true)
    separatefields()
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\virtualdubmod1.5\plugins\Camcorder_Color_Den oise_sse2.vdf", "CCD", 0)
    CCD(10,1) # from 0 to 100 ; Default =30
    weave()
    converttoyv12(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can see how the values relate to the filter by using Video -> Save Processing Settings in VirtualDub. Change a setting in VirtualDub, save settings, then see what changes in the .vdscript file (it's plain text so you can read it with Notepad).

Or do it the other way around. Change the vdscript file, load settings, then see what changes in the filter.

I know this is going to be a real simple Q .... is there a way to zoom in on the image (preview - not change anything) in VD to look closely at impact .. I have looked around menus and can't find a way to 'zoom in' nothing in help file either.

Ignore .... just after posting found the way .. right click on pane .....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    I know this is going to be a real simple Q .... is there a way to zoom in on the image (preview - not change anything) in VD to look closely at impact .. I have looked around menus and can't find a way to 'zoom in' nothing in help file either.

Ignore .... just after posting found the way .. right click on pane .....
    Yes, right click on a pane and select a zoom level.

I usually prefer to use Windows' built in Magnifier tool (Start -> All Program -> Accessories -> Ease Of Access). I have it connected to the center button of my mouse. So I can zoom into anything on the Desktop by pressing the center button, another click to zoom back out. You can zoom up to 1600 percent with that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. To see the differences before/after filtering with avisynth/avspmod (as i believe you don't have superman eyes yet) you can use this:
    U = UtoY()
    V = VtoY()
    Histogram(mode="luma")
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    To see the differences before/after filtering with avisynth/avspmod (as i believe you don't have superman eyes yet) you can use this:
    U = UtoY()
    V = VtoY()
    Histogram(mode="luma")
    I think what you meant was:

Code:
    UtoY()
    Histogram(mode="luma")
    Or:

Code:
    VtoY()
    Histogram(mode="luma")
    Or:

Code:
    StackHorizontal(UtoY(), VtoY())
    Histogram(mode="luma")
    Or you can just amplify colors of the source:

Code:
    Tweak(sat=3.0)
    Or:

Code:
    ColorYUV(cont_y=768)
    Quote Quote  
  16. yeah i forgot the StackHorizontal part for U&V so like this:

U = UtoY()
    V = VtoY()
    StackHorizontal(U,V)
    Histogram(mode="luma") # or ColorYUV(cont_y=768) #.. thanks jagabo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find CCD is VirtualDub to be better, yes. CNR has its uses, but not as much these days.

I've never used CCD via Avisynth. But it's verbose. You can test in in VDub, save the settings (.vcf) then read it. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote