VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I got W 7. 'cuz its better. Took an hour to figure how to make changes w/o clicking the 'needs administrator yadda yadda to change' cuz its better? Cant figure how to change to (similar, anyway) 'classic' view. So much, so different, cuz its better. XP v W7 is like swapping the gas & brake pedals, because. Some stuff will not install, some stuff installs but wont work.

Sorry, I'm just venting here. I hope I'm not antaganizing anyone. Dont mean to.

How do yah change to classic view??

More Q's to follow!

-corne-

(edit, see signature!)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 28th Feb 2016 at 10:34. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Control Panel >> Personalisation >> Windows Classic
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Well, I got W 7. 'cuz its better. Took an hour to figure how to make changes w/o clicking the 'needs administrator yadda yadda to change' cuz its better? Cant figure how to change to (similar, anyway) 'classic' view. So much, so different, cuz its better. XP v W7 is like swapping the gas & brake pedals, because. Some stuff will not install, some stuff installs but wont work.

Sorry, I'm just venting here. I hope I'm not antaganizing anyone. Dont mean to.

How do yah change to classic view??

More Q's to follow!

-corne-

(edit, see signature!)
    You will get used to Windows 7 in time. Using XP compatibility mode may help for some things. However, any 16-bit programs you have won't run on a 64-bit OS. A 32-bit OS is needed to run them them.

Sadly Microsoft announced in January 2016 that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 won't run on systems with new Intel CPUs starting with Kaby Lake, and new AMD CPUs, starting with "Bristol Ridge" APUs. Microsoft also announced in January that it will stop supporting Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for systems with Intel Skylake CPUs, although some Skylake motherboards list some variants of those operating systems as compatible.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Feb 2016 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install Classic Shell to restore your classic start menu, and some other functions from XP.
    I have Win7 on my Skylake. Works fine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I have Win7 on my Skylake. Works fine.
    I'm sure it does. However Microsoft made it clear that after about 16 1/2 months from now, they would only be supplying some of the most critical updates for Skylake systems running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I presume they mean some of the most critical security updates. I know that for some members here that is of no consequence, but it still needs to be said.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Feb 2016 at 13:19. Reason: accuracy
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sadly Microsoft announced in January 2016 that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 won't run on systems with new Intel CPUs starting with Kaby Lake, and new AMD CPUs, starting with "Bristol Ridge" APUs.
    I don't know why you wrote "it won't run"? As long as CPU is x86-64 it will work fine with Win7/8. Backward compatibility is in CORE of x86.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    Sadly Microsoft announced in January 2016 that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 won't run on systems with new Intel CPUs starting with Kaby Lake, and new AMD CPUs, starting with "Bristol Ridge" APUs.
    No idea why you wrote "it won't run"? As long as CPU is x86-64 it will work fine with Win7/8.
    Intel and AMD are not going to release Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 drivers for new CPUs and motherboard chipsets.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's the upcoming chips that microsoft is going to lock to w10. straight from the horse's mouth "Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon." you may be able to install other ms os's but there will be no support or updates. and after july 2017 skylake chips will no longer get any updates unless they are running w10.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So is this M$'s 3 point plan ?

1. Stop supplying updates for older systems
    2. Force upgrade to Win10
    3. Charge for continued use of same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You guys all act surprised about this. Makes sense: THIS is their current (and to them, only) OS. Apple has been locking hardware to ascending baseline OS for decades. "Downgrading" has been more the exception than the rule.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can accept that there will be no Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support for upcoming CPUs and associated chipsets to be released this year. That does not seem strange, particularly for Windows 7.

It did surprise me when Microsoft decided to drop Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support for Skylake systems in spite of existing hardware support for them. I would have expected a decision like that to be announced long before Skylake was released.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Feb 2016 at 14:35. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not surprised at all at forced w10 adoption. have you guys missed how hard ms is pushing the "free" update? it's ludicrous, they went so far as to force the w10 download and have it listed as ready to install on unsuspecting people. they reset everyone's "hidden" updates so if you hid the w10 ones they reappear. personally i don't like w10, i can use win8.1 but still prefer w7.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. Since the new processors are going to lock out older operating systems, what happens to the legacy programs I need to run. So something is different with the coding of the processor. Does that mean that my legacy programs will no longer run. Are they locked out? I guess we will have to wait to see.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Sadly Microsoft announced in January 2016 that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 won't run on systems with new Intel CPUs starting with Kaby Lake, and new AMD CPUs, starting with "Bristol Ridge" APUs.
    No idea why you wrote "it won't run"? As long as CPU is x86-64 it will work fine with Win7/8.
    Intel and AMD are not going to release Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 drivers for new CPUs and motherboard chipsets.
    Trust me people will find a way to force Win7/8 to run on latest CPUs. This guy even managed to install Win98 on i5 cpu!
    https://youtu.be/0u0H7vhMiP4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've got dos 2.0 hanging around on a 5.25" floppy maybe that would run too. then i could run dbII, lotus 123 and zork...
    --
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trust me people will find a way to force Win7/8 to run on latest CPUs. This guy even managed to install Win98 on i5 cpu!
    https://youtu.be/0u0H7vhMiP4
    Running Windows 7 on Kaby Lake or Bristol Ridge systems will be impossible for most people. Very few would be willing to go to as much trouble as the person who made that video. Windows 7 is more likely to be used as a VM in a new system.

Those installing Windows 7 on a Skylake system already run into a small obstacle because Windows 7's built-in USB 2.0 drivers don't work anymore, and some can't even handle that minor problem. Installation is not not going to become easier with no CPU or chipset drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The only reason I can think of for anyone running an older OS (XP, W7/8) on newer architecture (Skylake or later) is they have some legacy software that is more costly to replace than the OS. It's a tail wagging the dog scenario that is all too real for many users.

This use to be me when Adobe announced the end of perpetual licenses and ceased updating CS (the sales tax alone cost more than Windows). Anyone not running CC is quickly becoming orphaned since CS6 is nearly 4 years old. I refuse to buy into the SaaS model but needed to find a way out of my predicament since VM just isn't an option for video editing (too slow). So I installed BMD's DaVinci Resolve.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, things are slowly getting better. Some things are really frustrating, keep getting a box (+- )'do you want this prog to change settings?' with check box 'dont show this again) <-Checking changes nothing, I guess its Bill 'Satan' Gates idea of a joke. I have 'Graphics Work Shop Professional' (works fine with 64 bit XP) does not work with 7, tried the 'compatibility' thing, actually started one time in the process, but would not start again after closing. (<- I prefer GWSP for thumbnail display/moving/copying/etc. of files), I use Paint.Net, ha, another thing, cant install newer PDN (64 bit) on this 64 bit machine. Desktop, doesnt (<-what I want) align icons to grid, finally! Cant do that with any window, any size icon. Cant make 'directory tree' (left side of box) go away. Etc. Etc.

Getting better. (me, not windows) -c-
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Well, things are slowly getting better. Some things are really frustrating, keep getting a box (+- )'do you want this prog to change settings?' with check box 'dont show this again) <-Checking changes nothing, I guess its Bill 'Satan' Gates idea of a joke. I have 'Graphics Work Shop Professional' (works fine with 64 bit XP) does not work with 7, tried the 'compatibility' thing, actually started one time in the process, but would not start again after closing. (<- I prefer GWSP for thumbnail display/moving/copying/etc. of files), I use Paint.Net, ha, another thing, cant install newer PDN (64 bit) on this 64 bit machine. Desktop, doesnt (<-what I want) align icons to grid, finally! Cant do that with any window, any size icon. Cant make 'directory tree' (left side of box) go away. Etc. Etc.

Getting better. (me, not windows) -c-
    Which version of 'Graphics Work Shop Professional'?

I'm installing Paint.Net now on 64-bit Windows 7 now. I'll let you know how it goes.

To close the Navigation Pane in Windows Explorer, open Windows Explorer. Then select Organize->Layout->Navigation Pane (uncheck)

[Edit]Paint.net installed just fine here.

Options for arranging desktop icons: http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/enableOrDisableAlignToGridDesktopIcons.php

As far as some of your other Win 7 U.I. problems, a search engine is likely to find a solution for most of them faster than using this forum will.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Mar 2016 at 10:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using 'GWSP 2' final patch. As I said before it works just fine with XP 64 bit.

With the 'new' 7, in upgrades(?) it shows I have SP-1, but does not show this on the 'properties'(?) view. <- cant install newest Paintdotnet w/o it.

With XP (both 32 & 64) I can have icons in folders not aligned to grid and not arranged in any particular order. I cant figure out how to do this with 7. Also (see pic) how to remove/not show areas pointed out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	not better-n.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	36070

-c-

(figured out classic drop-down menus, between the two ('search bar' & 'organize-include-share-etc bar, cant git rid of these two, tho)

(7 offers sooo many options for align/arrange icons, apparently they feel one must choose one of them, whether you like it or not, thats 'cause its better?

(edit/ad: Another thing, Is there a better replacement for the image viewer?? I can only view next image by (mouse) clicking the 'next' arrow. Unlike xp, where I can hit l-r, & up-down arrows to navigate/view images. This too, is better?

(I am not being sarcastic, I am being frustrated , , , , )
    Last edited by cornemuse; 8th Mar 2016 at 10:56. Reason: feng shui
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already told you how to get rid of the left-hand pane in Windows Explorer. Organize->Layout->Navigation Pane (uncheck) I tested it. It worked for me. I don't know why it did not work for you.

Did you try Classic Shell (already suggested by someone other than me). It can customize Windows Explorer to look more like what you are used to http://www.classicshell.net/ It won't let you place icons anywhere you want and it won't get rid of the lower menu bar.

There is a registry hack to turn off auto arrange: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-disable-the-permanent-au...ndows-7-and-8/

Did you try the compatibility troubleshooter with 'GWSP 2'? Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. I don't have 'GWSP 2', so I can't test compatibility, but some programs that ran with XP 64-bit just aren't compatible.

I found ALL of the above information using a search engine. If using a search engine to solve your problems is too much work, then I suggest you get used to using Windows 7 as it is. I found it easier to change my habits than to change everything about Windows 7 that was different from Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  22. For an image viewer, I'd recommend Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com/

xplorer˛_lite might also be of interest to you. It's free. http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm
    If you can picture Windows Explorer with dual panes, each pane with tabs like a browser, the layout of each tab being configurable, and with the ability to save the whole configuration so it opens the same way each time, that's xplorer˛_lite. It also has navigation and preview panes etc. You can set it up it however you like. Screenshots: http://zabkat.com/sshots.htm
    I tend to run it like this mostly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xplorer2.gif
Views:	195
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	36075
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th Mar 2016 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I already told you how to get rid of the left-hand pane in Windows Explorer. Organize->Layout->Navigation Pane (uncheck) I tested it. It worked for me. I don't know why it did not work for you.

Did you try Classic Shell
    (already suggested by someone other than me). It can customize Windows Explorer to look more like what you are used to http://www.classicshell.net/ It won't let you place icons anywhere you want and it won't get rid of the lower menu bar.

There is a registry hack to turn off auto arrange: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-disable-the-permanent-au...ndows-7-and-8/

Did you try the compatibility troubleshooter
    with 'GWSP 2'? Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. I don't have 'GWSP 2', so I can't test compatibility, but some programs that ran with XP 64-bit just aren't compatible.

I found ALL of the above information using a search engine. If using a search engine to solve your problems is too much work, then I suggest you get used to using Windows 7 as it is. I found it easier to change my habits than to change everything about Windows 7 that was different from Windows XP.
    Missed the first one (LH pane)

Classic Shell fixes a lot!

I'll try the reg hack for auto arrange

Tried compat t-shooter, 95, 98, xp, sp2, sp3, no go. It actually (GWSP) started once,dont know what I did, couldnt do it again.

For me, its not easier to change my habits, I'm gonna be 70 next b-day.

Thanks for putting up with me (everyone), , , ,

-c-
    Quote Quote