VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guilty of plugging in my router, following instructions, then stuff just magically works.. and I learn nothing. Okay, I'm a little harsh on myself, I do learn things, and probably know more than the average I think, but I feel like I should know more. For instance, people, I read that I should have my 2.4 and 5.0 bands use the same SSID and password. For many years, I just assume my device and my router will just work itself out, they will communicate and decide the best band to use. Recently, I was inside my fios settings, I realize that there are hardly and devices connected to the 5.0 ghz band. I also realize my Nexus 6 has been using the 2.4 band. So what I did was I created separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.0. I then reconnected my Nexus 6 to the 5.0 and I do indeed get better mbps.

So what gives? Is that the best way to do things? To create two separate SSIDs? Almost everywhere I've read said to keep the SSIDs the same.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    So what gives? Is that the best way to do things? To create two separate SSIDs? Almost everywhere I've read said to keep the SSIDs the same.
    IMHO no difference as at physical layer they are two, completely independent networks and same SSID name mean nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I give mine different SSIDs just so I can choose which one to connect to if I desire. Some of my devices work better on one band than the other and some get better signal on the 2.4 band than the 5 depending on how far I am from the router.
    Last edited by Poppa_Meth; 26th Feb 2016 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just learned also that 5 ghz does not penetrate walls well? I think that's what has been confusing me. For testing, I changed both band back to the same ssid, and I went to the same room as the router. Turned off smartphone's wifi, then turned it back on, it connected to the 5 ghz automatically and now I see a link speed of 400 mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    I just learned also that 5 ghz does not penetrate walls well? I think that's what has been confusing me. For testing, I changed both band back to the same ssid, and I went to the same room as the router. Turned off smartphone's wifi, then turned it back on, it connected to the 5 ghz automatically and now I see a link speed of 400 mbps.
    This could well be the issue you are having. 5 GHz is basically for areas with a congested 2.4 GHz band. That isn't as common as it use to be since most cordless phones are now DECT 6.0 and a lot of people don't use landlines anymore anyway. One big killer for 2.4 GHz though is microwaves. They also run on a 2.4 GHz frequency and can cause interference if they are leaking radiation. Bluetooth often runs on 2.4 GHz as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With regards to extenders, the bandwidth is only cut in half for the device that connects to the extender, correct? Any device connected to the original network won't be cut in half, correct?
    Quote Quote