VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Hi there, as promised here is a longer video colored by newlify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1dqH01zhU

I will upload more samples as time goes by.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I guess you chose that scene as a direct comparison to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAJVLtIf04

Is it better ? Who am I to judge. But this article when the film was first bastarsized sums it all up for me.

https://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/casablanca-gets-colorized-but-dont-play-it-again-ted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AndyK View Post

Maybe your choice of words was accidental. But maybe this film is one of your ATF's. And if it is you really should not even attempt to mess with it.

Your program might be a general improvement on what has gone before. But it still suffers from a basic flaw. Faces are still un-natural/cartoon like.

Just my 2 cents (and my last on this subject you will be relieved to know)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also you can see the shadows on the faces shifting slightly.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    Hi there, as promised here is a longer video colored by newlify:
    It looks nasty. Surely you don't think it's an improvement over the original? And why did you encode the black bars into the video you uploaded?

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But this article when the film was first bastarsized sums it all up for me.

https://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/casablanca-gets-colorized-but-dont-play-it-again-ted
    Thank you for the link to the article. It lays out the case against colorization in stark terms. In black and white, you might say.

I see freshly colorized old sequences and movies all over YouTube these days and it disgusts me. What disgusts me even more is the general praise these abominations receive. It's as bad as the conversion of "fullscreen" movies to "widescreen" using one method or another, thus wrecking the original aspect ratio. Everyone thinks they're a better director than the original one. Everyone thinks they're a better cinematographer than the original one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see freshly colorized old sequences and movies all over YouTube these days and it disgusts me.
    Me too

It's as bad as the conversion of "fullscreen" movies to "widescreen" using one method or another.
    This is even worst
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    I've been hearing about software called Deoldify which does auto-colourizing via the web. The only problem I see with something like this is that you can't really judge the quality of the actual resulting video, since you have to upload the video to a website.
    Is there any software, such as Mocha Pro, that can do it automatically without using the internet?
    This is Magnu again, who posted the above question 2 years ago. I thought I'd mention two pieces of software that colourize, but neither is perfect. One is the Colorizing tool in Vegas Pro 18. Another is a program called PixBim Video Colorize Ai.
    Vegas Pro seems to make the video too washed out of colour, with a lot of scenes being very orange or too psychedelic (If all that makes sense?)! PixBim does a far better job with the colours, but when experimenting with it I see too many ghosting effects from previous frames.

I did see another video on YouTube which suggested another Ai method using software to save each frame as an image, then using a colourising feature in Photoshop to auto-colour the first frame of each scene, then using a process to automate all the subsequent frames with the same colours. This technique could possibly be utilized to do proper colourizing by just colouring the first frame manually?

I guess the next more expensive option is to use Mocha Pro?
    Last edited by magnu; 28th Jul 2021 at 01:54.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    Hi there, as promised here is a longer video colored by newlify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1dqH01zhU

I know there are people on here who hate the idea of Ai Colourization. However, I am curious as to how long Newlify take to actually colour a B&W video (preferably in HD, and say about 30 minutes in length?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you check my 'test' of this service it took approx. 1 minute for every second of SD footage.

You would have to do your own test of a HD source (if you feel it worth the effort)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I contacted the company (Newlify) to ask about costs, etc., and received the following reply:-

Hi William,
    We can convert films in different lengths.
    The fee is 3$ per minute, but if you want to convert more than a few minutes we can issue you a discount.

Also, due to high upload times we have decided to stop using the website to upload videos, so if you would decide to color your videos I will send you an alternative upload destination.

Please tell me if I can help you in any other way.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Playing around a bit, I used the source from #59 applied SpotLess and then used DeOldify, DDColor and some merges of the two.
    In case the results are interesting to others, I attached them.

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have been trying to find out what this person is using for colorization. I'm pretty sure it is mostly automatic because you can see color bleeds during fast motion. However, for the most part, colors stay with objects as they move.

As someone who restores old movies, I really appreciate what he has done with this late 19th century movie film.

Around The World in 1896 Colorized (4K 60fps) New York, London, Jerusalem, Paris
    Quote Quote  
  13. @johnmeyer: I'm pretty sure that was mostly done by DeOldify and some filtering afterward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those are certainly sharper and more natural that previously, but do you notice the similar, limited palette? (heavy on the blue+tan)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, there was some post-processing, but the color choice and the chroma flickering looks like DeOldify to me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I got the person's email and sent him a message, asking him if he would tell me what colorization software he uses. I included links to some of my work, and mentioned my posts at doom9.org in VideoFred's film restoration threads, just to establish my credibility as a serious film restorer.

Without some sort of "AI" (whatever the heck that is), any automatic colorization results are going to look a little strange at times, and the "limited palette" Cornucopia mentions is to be expected, but the results shown in that clip I linked to above, and in the work Selur has done, are almost good enough for some people to find them more enjoyable than B&W.

(Of course, there are some of us who enjoy B&W!)

John
    Quote Quote