VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Huffyuv source
    Huffyuv installed, VirtualDub sees it.
    ffdshow also installed, reads Huffyuv via libavcodec (disabling it makes no change)

No dragging preview when file opened in Avidemux
    Playing freezes on first frame, shows all green. Dotted lighter green at top of frame.

Windows 7 x64
    Current 2.6.11 version of Avidemux

Any idea what's wrong here?

I know Avidemux is buggy as hell, but it at least opens files on other systems.
    Both 32- and 64-bit versions of Avidemux are the same.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Huffyuv comes in a few incompatible variations. I suspect the version built into Avidemux is different from the one you have installed. Try version 2.1.1 if that's not the one you're using (ie, don't use 2.2). AVI files I produce from VirtualDub with that version can be opened in AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think that's it.

I tried 2 files.
    1 was captured on another system, Windows XP, Huffyuv 2.1.1
    1 was encoded in VirtualDub on this Win7 desktop, Huffyuv 2.1.1

The capture opens fine in Avidemux 2.6 x86 on my laptop, Windows 7 x64. Saves fine.
    The capture is green on my new desktop.
    Trying to save the file results in Avidemux crashing

The old 2.6.4 version, and an old 2.5 version, have a weird grid-pattern preview. Lots of false colors, cross hatching.

I've never used 2.2 either.

It's clearly a codec problem, but I'm not sure where it is.

On another note, ffdshow seems to be 100% useless. It does nothing. I'm having a problem opening some audio as well. But one thing at a time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The laptop has 2.6.1, so I installed it here. It still wasn't working.
    The first issue is the clip was an odd number resolution. I remembered having that issue before. I only ran into due to luck.
    I had to re-encode my video to an even pixel count.
    2.6.1 and 2.5.6 now work.
    2.6.10-11 still fail.
    So the latest versions are fubar. The older ones are fine.

All of them suck for not telling me why it failed. Avidemux works great ... when it works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think huffyuv is partially at fault here. If you feed it an odd width RGB video but have it set to convert internally to YUY2 it doesn't complain. But it can't decode the video it just encoded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think huffyuv is partially at fault here. If you feed it an odd width RGB video but have it set to convert internally to YUY2 it doesn't complain. But it can't decode the video it just encoded.
    It's probably partially my fault as well. It's been a while since I encoded anything like this, so I forgot about the resolution problem. MainConcept will, at least, give me an error, reject the video, and tell me why. Not just crash or not work.

I'm still not sure what the problem is with 2.6.10 and 2.6.11. They must have changed something for the negative.

The most recent version that I can confirm as working is 2.6.4 x86, which is fine on my old XP desktop (now a VM). I'll have to look at the changelogs and see if anything significant was added or changed in the past few versions (about 2-3 years worth). It may not be worth messing with.

It's just something to add to my Avidemux guides.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't get me wrong I love AviDemux but since you mentioned MainConcept, why don't you just frameserve from VDub to Mainconcept? Is there something specific that Avidemux has that you NEED to use it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    x264 compresses better. MainConcept/Rovi has better visual quality. MainConcept was built for quality, x264 for size.

For work, or even hobby, MainConcept for sure.

But for web streaming, I want to use the smaller x264 files. (I use my servers, not Youtube. My rules and specs, not theirs.)

I could probably use other x264 frontends, but I just prefer Avidemux. I'm not a fan of Handbrake.
    Quote Quote