VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all ! I use mkv extract GUI and my MP4BoxGui but these 2 work on one video at a time only, which software does the same job without loosing any quality? I'm looking for a loss less converter which works like MKV Extractor and mymp4box.
    Please help
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffmpeg -i myfile.mkv -codec copy myfile.mp4

(provided you can use the audio without convertion.)

or MKVtoMP4 if you prefer GUI (which handle the audio conversion when needed)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I almost considered not to read your post at all, due to the nonsensical title... – "There is no best; if there was, there would be no other."

So you want to re-multiplex MKV to MP4 (in case it is possible at all, because the MKV contains only streams compatible to the MP4 container). This could be done with any converter based on ffmpeg (or ffmpeg itself if you can handle CLI tools, using "codec copy" parameters for video and audio streams); you could probably try Hybrid, TEncoder, XMedia Recode, Handbrake...
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want a GUI, try the portable version of Video To Video converter. It uses ffmpeg for most of the work.

Drag and drop a bunch of files into Video to Video Converter. A window will open with a list of conversion presets. The last "video profiles' preset is "Direct Stream Copy". Select it, then on the right choose your desired output container, and click "okay". They all be added to the conversion queue. Click "Convert". They won't be converted though, just remuxed.

Every now and then, that fails to work, Possibly because of some command-line oddness, or the phase of the moon. If it does.....
    Repeat the above process, but select the MP4 preset. On the right, change the video and audio codecs to "copy". Click okay and then "Convert". Usually one of those methods will work, and you can use the second method to copy the video while converting the audio to a different format if need be.
    Quote Quote