VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I was hoping never to see the word basically again.

Also I have a crash report attached from SM player. We now know why it is called S/M.

Crash occurred after checking the settings for add borders in full screen and start in full screen from the example screen shot.

Also exit from full screen required a system restart since the usual ESC key to back out of it failed.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Would a re-install of the program in the 32 bit mode prevent such a crash?
    When possible I use the 64 bit mode options for use with Win7 Ultimate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. An update which I feel obligated to make for any casual viewer also struggling with this subtitle problem where no preset is available follows.

The crash report above refers to mpv which is some alternative player to what is invoked at Smplayer startup called mplayer (on which smplayer is built.)

One finds this mpv.exe on Video help software. Extract the zip using 7zip (another error trap since only 7 zip opens this mpv) in the SMplayer directory and change smplayer > options > general to mpv. The instruction just says write mpv, not mpv.exe etc so that's what I did. I used the other settings by hello_hello.

The crash error was eliminated but this operation failed to put the subtitles in a black border below the image.

hello_hello said he was using srt in his sample The subs in this media I have are originals. h_h also stays on Windows XP. My OS is Win 7 x64. This may cause additional errors. Also I do not like having to use full screen with the controls popping up from mouse movement.

I will look for other solutions.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 24th Mar 2016 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPC shows subtitles to the bottom by default.

As for VLC, there is a way to do this with cropadd. Basically you will add black bars to the video.
    Now the problem with Cropadd is that it will always padd the video even if it isn't needed. And so it will be necessary to enable/disable the filter for every video.
    This has been bugging me a lot, I use vlc player because MPC is lacking in some features.
    Anyway, here's the solution:

As to avoid problems with cropadd, we are not going to use it. But instead we will use Canvas filter.

Go in Tools -> Preferences -> on the bottom select "Show all settings"
    Under "Video" expand "Filters" and find Canvas.

There in the width and height, you can enter your monitor resolution, and the aspect ratio.
    Also make sure the option "pad video" is selected. Because if it isn't the video will be cropped, and we don't want that.

Now click on "Filters" from the menu, and enable "Canvas video filter".
    Also it is worth noting that in the "Cropadd" filter settings, all values should be zero. Canvas will control Cropadd as needed.

Save the changes, and restart vlc.

Problem solved.
    Subtitles will now be shown below the image.

Also you might want to go over to "Subtitles / OSD" and change 'force subtitles position' value.
    Last edited by neseri; 23rd Jul 2016 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar issue on WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.
    When not in full screen, the subs appear on the video which is fine.
    But when I play it in full screen, the subs follow the resolution of the video and still appear on screen.
    I want the subs to stay static (appear on the black band) despite maximizing the player screen.

[Attachment 62359 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62360 - Click to enlarge]
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote