VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am in the process of rebuilding my machine. Basically, my goal is to have ONLY the software I absolutely need because I continually encounter problems. Example:

- Win7 Pro x64
    - Minimal mobo/chipset driver set up (no audio drivers as they conflict with my ASIO audio interface)
    - Minimal players
    - Minimal codecs

So here is my question. What are the essential codecs that everyone uses? For example, I need the ability to play back:

- ProRes
    - AVI
    - MPEG2
    - MPEG4
    - maybe DNxHD

I am not looking for a Swiss Army knife of players and codecs. I just want the bare minimum.

So I am appealing to you gurus. Which codecs are essential to your workflows?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't need to install anything for playback . There are "portable" versions of players like MPCHC, VLC. If you do want something installed, I would use LAV filters
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank pdr. Is that how you run your system? No codecs installed?

I confess that I am a little confused. I thought that was the whole point of codecs? For example, I can't play any of my ProRes files or load them into PP without a Quicktime codec installed on my machine. At least that has been my experience.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If a player or software requires a "system" or DirectShow codec, you'd need to install one, but MPC-HC uses LAV Filters for decoding "internally". Delete the MPC-HC folder, and it's version of LAV Filters is gone. If you want to use LAV Filters with a different player (ie as a DirectShow codec), you'd need to install it.

LAV Filters and ffdshow are capable of decoding multiple video and audio types and each type can be enabled or disabled individually. ffdshow can decode Quicktime video. I don't know if LAV Filters can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffdshow.gif
Views:	247
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	35865

MPC-HC, MPC-BE, SMPlayer, Potplayer, VLC etc all have "internal" codecs and don't rely on installed "system" codecs, although some can use either.

I don't use Windows 7 but you might need this for some 3rd party codecs:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Preferred-Filter-Tweaker

I use MPC-HC and I also have ffdshow installed because I use it's audio decoder instead of LAV Filters (so I can run a compressor DSP). In the case of MPC-HC if you disable an internal filter (ie a particular audio or video type) it'll look for a DirectShow codec instead (in my case ffdshow). Re-enable the internal filter and it'll stop using the DirectShow codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Thank pdr. Is that how you run your system? No codecs installed?

I confess that I am a little confused. I thought that was the whole point of codecs? For example, I can't play any of my ProRes files or load them into PP without a Quicktime codec installed on my machine. At least that has been my experience.
    I misunderstood - I thought you meant "playback" for "everyone" as in player software, which is why I mentioned VLC, MPCHC. But yes, you need quicktime installed for Adobe if you're using quicktime (basically anything MOV). Quicktime comes with prores decoder, but not dnxhd - it's a separate download from avid
    Quote Quote  
  6. ffplay should support most of them without need of installation anything but i assume is not attractive solution to anyone.
    I use MPC-HC and LAV Filters, have no Apple installed (Apple is evil) so it works fine for me. Good side is that this is neat and efficient solution with lot of capabilities - quicktime prores 4444 10 bit (ffmpeg created) works nice and smoothly, DNxHD - never tried but should work similar to Prores.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just a few notes:

1. I use ProRes because I shoot with an Atomos Ninja. The choices are either ProRes or DNxHD. So far, I have chosen to go with ProRes although I struggle to articulate why

2. ffmpeg in my experience does not encode truly compliant ProRes files. ffmbc is the only variant that I have found that does. Again, don't ask me why, but Adobe and especially Resolve choke on the ffmpeg ProRes files.

3. I installed Win7 Pro x64 with NO drivers, just Windows, pure and simple. And to my surprise, WMP played everything out of the box: DV-AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4, even MOV files shot on a consumer camera. The only files it couldn't decode were my ProRes files. I am trying to think why this surprised me, and the only reason I can come up with is because this wasn't the case with XP, and my migration to W7 was a quick one, never fully tested.

So as it stands, it appears that the only codec I need to install on my Win7 Pro x64 machine for both editing and playback purposes is:

- Quicktime

This list may change. But right now, I am trying to keep things as clean as possible on my machine.

EDIT: I should also add, the only player it seems I need is WMP. I don't really watch my ProRes files, they are for editing.
    Last edited by SameSelf; 25th Feb 2016 at 08:09.
    Quote Quote