VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    If you go to Slysoft.com you will now see a message stating:

Due to recent regulatory requirements we have had to cease all activities relating to SlySoft Inc.
    We wish to thank our loyal customers/clients for their patronage over the years.

There was already a news story about the possible shutdown over at MyCE. http://www.myce.com/news/slysoft-down-for-legal-reasons-78654/

But no details have been forthcoming. The Slysoft forum is still up and running.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Great, I just bought the software a few months back. It was a great piece of software that worked well with VLC.

They should just move to another country like DVDfab did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    Great, I just bought the software a few months back. It was a great piece of software that worked well with VLC.

i agree, there might be another way to keep slysoft running. Just do as DVDfab did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Theirs always Passkey from DVDFab if Slysoft dies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can still get CloneBD and CloneDVD from https://www.elby.ch/en/download.html. But no decryption then.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello, dear all.

In the worst scenarios, it may be possible no decrypting dvd /bluray programs do survive? Including DVDFab, DVDFab Passkey, MakeMKV or any other software?

In this bad environment, where we'll get any substitute for those programs? Because bluray content is always being updated concerning java protections and other ones.

DVD Decrypter was a great program, but the author of it must cease to update / develop the software. Anydvd and others will have the same fate?

I'm very worried about it!

Why does it happened? Hollywood, Sony and other big companies forcing shutdown all softwares companies like Slysoft or the defunct ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre player company?

---> https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/is-the-slysoft-download-site-down.68289/

---> https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/

---> https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/continued-use-of-anydvd-if-slysoft-is-shutdown.68301/

SlySoft is under massive pressure since 2007. From Websheriff over Irdeto, US department of Justice to AACS-LA

---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Sheriff

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 24th Feb 2016 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Why does it happened? Hollywood, Sony and other big companies forcing shutdown all softwares companies like Slysoft or the defunct ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre player company?
    Where did you get the idea that ArcSoft had to discontinue Arcsoft Total Media Theatre due to legal action on the part of the entertainment industry? They dumped the rest of their video product line too: MediaConverter, Panorama Maker, ShowBiz, MediaImpression 3 HD. ArcSoft just didn't sell enough copies of their video software to remain in that business.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    We'll see what this leads to.

Elby/Slysoft has faced these kind of problems in the past and have relocated their activities before. Maybe they'll be back in business soon...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    Where did DVDFab move from?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Its official now. Slysoft and AnyDVD are no more: https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/
    Quote Quote  
  11. You have to look at the principles, then you know what will happen. Hollywood will always give a few million dollars to such a company as AnyDVD in exchange for the company to stop selling the product. Would you take a few million dollars if that was more than you could earn from your product?
    However, since DVDFab is a Chinese company, things are different. They too will gladly take the few million from Hollywood, but DVDFab will find a way to take the money and still sell the product.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This less as a reflection of the cracking down by the powers and more decision by the slysoft owners to get out. To wit, streaming has killed ripping. Simple supply/demand economics at work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. streaming has killed ripping. Simple supply/demand economics at work

Everything will be on streaming environment for now on? Its the future? Well, and how to deal with all protections concerning about streaming content, like Silverlight, among others?

It will exist any company similar Slysoft to deal with streaming protections, if it will be the "future"? Or big powerful companies like Sony or anti-piracy entities like Websheriff will pressure at the point to become impossible to exist no more Slysoft similar companies?

---> http://www.myce.com/news/slysoft-is-gone-forever-78664/

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  14. With this ultra high definition in progress how difficult it is, just using home environment and appropriate anti-reflex screen to just capture video using decent camcorder/camera in manual mode steady on tripod. I can imagine it would get perfected, filtered and to be available for upload. I think this lobby cannot control this thing. Unless there is a total control of internet content. They pushed harder perhaps because of UHD is emerging out of shadows.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everything will be on streaming environment for now on? Its the future? Well, and how to deal with all protections concerning about streaming content, like Silverlight, among others?
    Really... You should know there is a very old and obvious method for making copies of streamed video, even though it can't be discussed at VideoHelp since there is no gray area in the law which allows it, even in theory.

Silverlight is on its way out. Microsoft is ending support for Silverlight in 2021. Streaming services are already moving to other forms of encryption. Microsoft itself has switched to using HTML5 in some cases.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Streaming services are already moving to other forms of encryption. Microsoft itself has switched to using HTML5 in some cases.
    And will be possible to deal with all that protections? Anydvd ( and some other companies / programs ) could do it on bluray content, for example, among dvd and audio discs.

But, concerning about streaming world ( if the future will go to this way), the scenarios probably will get worse? In other words: harder to break the protections or even to find programs that can handle that? Specially if big companies make pressure to shutdown any programs that they consider illegal or some kind of menace to them.

They pushed harder perhaps because of UHD is emerging out of shadows.
    I wonder if Slysoft would create ( in a long future ) some program similar Anydvd that could handle UHD content ( perhaps something like 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray) ? Now, they are closed for good, not be possible do it anymore, of course. But, who knows, if they would be able to deal with that content in a possible future? And the studios, big companies and anti-piracy organizations fearing something like that, get hard against Slysoft ( example: Anydvd ) or similar softwares / techniques that could bypass their protection.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sucks, indeed. And I see this as scary. If the pressure was enough to make Slysoft walk then who is next? There are smaller fish to fry out there who can't hold out nearly as long and I don't necessarily think have the technical expertise that Slysoft possessed.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Very unfortunate news: I've had an update subscription since 2005, just noticed an email prompting me to download v7.9.6.0, clicked the link and found the site is gone.

A total bummer for those of us who actually buy DVDs and BDs: a disturbing number of new pressings are still riddled with immediate or delayed defects which are curable only by making backups via CloneDVD/AnyDVD. Its bad enough the pressings are so poor we legit buyers are forced to make backups just to view the content we purchased, then Hollywood has the balls to shut down the last vital developer of the required software? This bunch of asshats deserve a sustained global boycott of their crappy disc output. It'll never happen, but it should.

Way to drive millions more people to torrent sites, MPAA: brilliant strategy ya got there. It didn't work in 1982, 1997, 2007, but y'all just keep throwing good money after bad lawyers, foolishly believing the lies they feed you about "billions in lost profits". The only profits you clowns have been losing is the money you burn vainly trying to frustrate your ever-dwindling supply of paying customers. Get a clue: the professional pirates who actually steal your assets don't need AnyDVD- you're in the back end of the horse costume, blind, as usual.
    Last edited by orsetto; 24th Feb 2016 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, dear all.

In the worst scenarios, it may be possible no decrypting dvd /bluray programs do survive? Including DVDFab, DVDFab Passkey, MakeMKV or any other software?
    In worst case scenarios with DVD Fab has all ready said if it come rigth down to it they just make it Free and Open Source it did all forget about what happing with web site being shut down.
    I'm not a fan of MakeMKV as I perf MP4 but as long keep it free app and not charge for it nor turn it in to commercial product there golden for now
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming services are already moving to other forms of encryption. Microsoft itself has switched to using HTML5 in some cases.
    And will be possible to deal with all that protections? Anydvd ( and some other companies / programs ) could do it on bluray content, for example, among dvd and audio discs.

But, concerning about streaming world ( if the future will go to this way), the scenarios probably will get worse? In other words: harder to break the protections or even to find programs that can handle that? Specially if big companies make pressure to shutdown any programs that they consider illegal or some kind of menace to them.
    From forum rules:
    Do NOT talk about copying rented/subscription material
    You are not allowed to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented/subscribed video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc.
    Any time you discuss keeping a copy of something from a paid streaming service, from VideoHelp's perspective, you are talking about copying rented material. That is not considered fair use here.

If you read the terms and conditions of purchase, even when somebody "buys" a movie from a paid streaming service, they don't technically own a copy of it like they would own a physical disk. They have purchased the right to view the movie as many times as they want for as long as it is available from the streaming service.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Feb 2016 at 19:34.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Any time you discuss keeping a copy of something from a paid streaming service, from VideoHelp's perspective, you are talking about copying rented material. That is not considered fair use here.

If you read the terms and conditions of purchase, even when somebody "buys" the movie from a paid streaming, they don't technically own a copy of it like they would own a physical disk. They have purchased the right to view the movie as many times as they want for as long as it is available from the streaming service.

Yes, I understand that. And do not advocate piracy too. But, I'm wonder that if only streaming devices become mandatory in future and all fair use that we have to make a backup ( not sharing or anything like that with nobody ) when we own our dvd/bluray discs using Anydvd ( or similar ones ), in streaming world it will end completely! It'll be considered illegal! Even to discuss it on foruns like here!

No more programs like Anydvd will be allowed here ( or elsewhere ), because as you point we are not allowed copy or make a back up of this, despite we paid a "copy" of it. We can only watch as long the service last. No more. Even guides here "teaching" how to use some programs or ways to defeat such protections will be considered illegal.

Well, the end of Anydvd is a very bad news for many, many people around the world. Let's see what will happen in future or if some program could "replace" Anydvd at the same high level and that big studios or big companies can't close such program as they did with Anydvd.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any time you discuss keeping a copy of something from a paid streaming service, from VideoHelp's perspective, you are talking about copying rented material. That is not considered fair use here.

If you read the terms and conditions of purchase, even when somebody "buys" the movie from a paid streaming, they don't technically own a copy of it like they would own a physical disk. They have purchased the right to view the movie as many times as they want for as long as it is available from the streaming service.

Yes, I understand that. And do not advocate piracy too. But, I'm wonder that if only streaming devices become mandatory in future and all fair use that we have to make a backup ( not sharing or anything like that with nobody ) when we own our dvd/bluray discs using Anydvd ( or similar ones ), in streaming world it will end completely! It'll be considered illegal! Even to discuss it on foruns like here!

No more programs like Anydvd will be allowed here ( or elsewhere ), because as you point we are not allowed copy or make a back up of this, despite we paid a "copy" of it. We can only watch as long the service last. No more. Even guides here "teaching" how to use some programs or ways to defeat such protections will be considered illegal.

Well, the end of Anydvd is a very bad news for many, many people around the world. Let's see what will happen in future or if some program could "replace" Anydvd at the same high level and that big studios or big companies can't close such program as they did with Anydvd.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    If everything goes to paid on-demand streaming over the Internet, then the right to record for the purpose of time-shifting and the right to make copies for personal use don't apply to that delivery system. It wouldn't be a completely unfamiliar situation to me. I remember what life was like before VHS or BetaMax arrived. It was impossible to record TV and nearly impossible for ordinary people to own a personal copy of a movie. However, I expect the rules at VideoHelp will still permit us to discuss making copies of anything we legally purchased on physical media.

Those who yearn for a perpetually neat home with fewer possessions to look after and those who put a high value on convenience will be happy.

Nobody can say how long it will take to for someone to beat the new copy protection on UHD Blu-Ray. I remember that for a few years following the arrival of Blu-Ray, it wasn't possible to rip movies. People who wanted to make a copy for personal use had to record their screen somehow.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Feb 2016 at 22:03.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that Slysoft is gone, somebody's going to reverse engineer the software (probably already have) and bring out their own version because now there's money to be made. Good old supply and demand!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Now that Slysoft is gone, somebody's going to reverse engineer the software (probably already have) and bring out their own version because now there's money to be made. Good old supply and demand!
    I hope I will find the source code on github soon....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Very unfortunate news: I've had an update subscription since 2005, just noticed an email prompting me to download v7.9.6.0, clicked the link and found the site is gone.
    You can still download it from some sites:
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/468-anydvd.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/AnyDVD-HD.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Temporarily adding it here also. And latest version was 7.6.9.0.

File removed.

Download instead: https://forum.redfox.bz/download/SetupAnyDVD7691.exe
    Last edited by Baldrick; 1st Mar 2016 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Now that Slysoft is gone, somebody's going to reverse engineer the software (probably already have) and bring out their own version because now there's money to be made. Good old supply and demand!
    I hope I will find the source code on github soon....

It will help a lot! But, the following challenge is to find some team of reliable and capable enough people to make some updates on such codes according necessity, because bluray protections is very frequently done and the way to obtain this updates, because if that happens, where somebody could distribute, store such codes ( or updated "exe" file) ?

And is hard to find a good team so skilled as Slysoft was! Let's see what will happen now!

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 25th Feb 2016 at 07:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You for that link!
    Quote Quote  
  29. See below.

---> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173234

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Granted streaming video is the future and the sad thing is not everything you want to watch is available to watch. The classic Britcoms and such are not available and geoblocking of shows you might want to watch from England even if no one is showing those shows in North America and has the rights sown up.

As for making backup of DVDs you buy it is already against the law here in Canada to decrypt and back up DVDs as our Parliament like many others around the world passed such legislation to keep Hollywood happy.

What I find sad is classic Canadiana shows such as "The Campbells", "Littlest Hobo", "Seeing Things" and "Beachcombers" are not available for us who want to watch it whether by DVD releases or streaming video. There is a gigantic amount of TV shows that just are not worth the effort to process and offer to an audience that might be interested.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 25th Feb 2016 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote