VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    7.6.9.1 2016 03 01
    AnyDVD reborn! SlySoft is dead, long live RedFox!
    This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs.
    This version can access the new RedFox Online Protection Database
    This version will only work, if already own a valid AnyDVD license
    For compatibility with 3rd party programs, AnyDVD will still use "SlySoft" for directories and registry paths
    It will replace an existing SlySoft AnyDVD installation
    New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
    Some minor fixes and improvements
    https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-hd-7-6-9-1-released.68381/
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    7.6.9.1 2016 03 01
    AnyDVD reborn! SlySoft is dead, long live RedFox!
    This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs.
    This version can access the new RedFox Online Protection Database
    This version will only work, if already own a valid AnyDVD license
    For compatibility with 3rd party programs, AnyDVD will still use "SlySoft" for directories and registry paths
    It will replace an existing SlySoft AnyDVD installation
    New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
    Some minor fixes and improvements
    https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-hd-7-6-9-1-released.68381/
    Quote Quote  
  3. In my opinions, AnyDVD is dead permanently. RedFox is not allowed users to use the purchased products, so all of the users who purchased AnyDVD can not use the product permanently.

I strongly recommended RedFox to allow users to use the product again. Otherwise, it is unfair and unacceptable for users. And I will not use the products any more.

I hope my voice will be heard by many people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Amylly View Post
    I strongly recommended RedFox to allow users to use the product again. Otherwise, it is unfair and unacceptable for users.
    Just my 2 cents. I've heard it said that the "forever" license SlySoft allowed is one of the things that killed SlySoft - that any such license, if too many people opt for it, destroys a company's ability to economically survive and maintain the R&D needed for new updates. Add to that the legal pressure on SlySoft and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

RedFox is NOT SlySoft. They're just former employees who chose to "attempt" picking up the pieces and moving forward. I've decided to adopt a "wait-n-see" attitude with RedFox ... to see if their version of AnyDVD lives up to the quality of its SlySoft predecessor - and to see if their licensing model is reasonable and workable.

Just a couple of comments. First, it boggles my mind that they chose Belize as their HQ. Belize is heavily dependent on US dollars for their survival. It occurs to me that with pressure from US interests, the government of Belize would have no problem in shutting down RedFox. Secondly (extreme Devil's advocate mode), one other country has yet to be tried as a HQ for these kind of operations. Kim Jong Un does love one thing about the USA - its films. I'm a bit surprised that North Korea hasn't yet gotten "into the biz" to reap profits from such an enterprise. Not that I'd want them to do so (grin). But it is surprising.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right On, AlecWest. There are always those who are looking for a free ride!
    Last edited by pepegot1; 26th Apr 2016 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Amylly View Post
    In my opinions, AnyDVD is dead permanently. RedFox is not allowed users to use the purchased products, so all of the users who purchased AnyDVD can not use the product permanently.

I strongly recommended RedFox to allow users to use the product again. Otherwise, it is unfair and unacceptable for users. And I will not use the products any more.

I hope my voice will be heard by many people.
    So, you're saying there was no point in downloading that final release from post #62 above, because it would just be unusable ? (I've never been an AnyDVD user, and have only followed these developments to a very small degree . . . .)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the contintion is Slysoft is "dead" (no longer in business).
    That is the information the former employees of slysoft that started a supposed "new" company have released.
    If that is true then why does my Slysoft AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD that I have lifetime licenses for offer an update from redfox ?
    I have no business relationship with redfox as I have never purchased any software from them .
    So why is my slysoft software "phoning home" to redfox ?

I purchased LTL's for AnyDVD & later AnyDVD HD .
    The software still has the same name & function as the AnyDVD HD redfox sells .
    I think if a license from redfox was purchased it would install "over" the slysoft AnyDVD HD without a "fresh install".
    That & the "phone home" don't seem like a different company .
    Also usually when a company changes its' name or sells to new owners the contracts & liabilities are part of the sale . Unless the contintion is AnyDVD HD wasn't purchased by redfox.

If that is the case does this mean Fengtao of DVDFab could start selling a software named AnyDVD HD ? To take the same advantage of an already established software name .
    Without any purchase of the right to do so from slysoft . Even closed companies usually retain the rights to their products .
    To me that means that redfox purchased or was given the rights to distribute AnyDVD HD .
    With that come the responsibility to honor former contracts . Ergo the lifetime licenses sold by slysoft.
    I'm like most purchasers of the slysoft LTL for AnyDVD HD .
    I don't have the means to start a lawsuit .
    It isn't worth the time or money for an individual .
    What I would like to see is a class action lawsuit against slysoft & redfox.
    If I see one form I will add my name to the list .
    I doubt that will happen .
    My only recourse will be to never purchase any software from redfox .
    I will watch the movies I already have & just not make backups before I purchase anything from redfox.
    Maybe I will take up a sport to occupy my time .
    That sport could be fox hunting .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    RedFox is a different company. They say they were the techs that formerly worked for Slysoft and just started a new company on their own.
    You can get one last update from RedFox, then you need to buy their new program, if I remember correctly.

If you go to the RedFox site and look to the upper right under 'News', you can read the whole explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    If the contintion is Slysoft is "dead" (no longer in business).
    That is the information the former employees of slysoft that started a supposed "new" company have released.
    If that is true then why does my Slysoft AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD that I have lifetime licenses for offer an update from redfox ?
    I have no business relationship with redfox as I have never purchased any software from them .
    So why is my slysoft software "phoning home" to redfox ?

I purchased LTL's for AnyDVD & later AnyDVD HD .
    The software still has the same name & function as the AnyDVD HD redfox sells .
    I think if a license from redfox was purchased it would install "over" the slysoft AnyDVD HD without a "fresh install".
    That & the "phone home" don't seem like a different company .
    Also usually when a company changes its' name or sells to new owners the contracts & liabilities are part of the sale . Unless the contintion is AnyDVD HD wasn't purchased by redfox.

If that is the case does this mean Fengtao of DVDFab could start selling a software named AnyDVD HD ? To take the same advantage of an already established software name .
    Without any purchase of the right to do so from slysoft . Even closed companies usually retain the rights to their products .
    To me that means that redfox purchased or was given the rights to distribute AnyDVD HD .
    With that come the responsibility to honor former contracts . Ergo the lifetime licenses sold by slysoft.
    I'm like most purchasers of the slysoft LTL for AnyDVD HD .
    I don't have the means to start a lawsuit .
    It isn't worth the time or money for an individual .
    What I would like to see is a class action lawsuit against slysoft & redfox.
    If I see one form I will add my name to the list .
    I doubt that will happen .
    My only recourse will be to never purchase any software from redfox .
    I will watch the movies I already have & just not make backups before I purchase anything from redfox.
    Maybe I will take up a sport to occupy my time .
    That sport could be fox hunting .
    Your post is so full of stupidity and just plain nonsense I don't know where to begin....sue yourself lol.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  10. I had been to the redfox website & read the news before.
    I went & read it again to see if anything had been added.
    It is still the same .
    The redfox propaganda that they want the public & former slysoft customers to accept.

There is no information on how they acquired the rights to use the name AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD for the software they now sell .
    Only the slysoft company even after closing can sell or give those rights .
    In either case the contractual obligations come with the purchase or gift .
    That is what a lifetime license is a contract .

This is an analogy :
    The Studebaker auto company .
    If an investor or group of investors decider to use the Studebaker name & started making a repro Golden Hawk. I guarantee the name is still owned by some people.
    The right to use the name would have to be bought.
    If there do still exist any contractual obligations those would also need to be met.

On the AnyDVD HD (the last Slysoft version) "phoning home" to redfox .
    If they are not the same company that shouldn't happen.

This is an analogy:
    Windows Update doesn't "phone home" to Apple .
    It connects with Microsoft the company that sells Windows & has the rights to the name.
    If a company started to sell an operating system named Windows that wasn't Microsoft they would probably have notice of an injunction by MS before the sun set the first day .
    The reason is they don't have the rights to use the name Windows .

This is no different for AnyDVD HD .

I bought AnyDVD & later AnyDVD HD LTLs .
    I didn't buy stock in Slysoft .
    I bought the software. A product with a contract .
    When redfox acquired the rights to use the name AnyDVD HD for the software product they sell.
    They also acquired the contracts made with purchasers of the AnyDVD LTL .

The reason they are getting by without honoring those contracts is it is not worth an individual's time & money to sue redfox . If a class action lawsuit was done I'm certain redfox would lose.
    That would also need to be done in several countries because what a US court would do would have no bearing on what a German court might do. & so on .
    Then enforcing the decision might be difficult .
    In the end redfox will get away with not honoring the AnyDVD HD contracts .
    Even the new ones when & if they change the company name again in the future.
    IMO that is the plan & why redfox is offering LTLs.

That is why I'm not going to purchase any software from redfox.
    "Buyer beware" as the saying goes .
    Or is it : " Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. "
    Quote Quote  
  11. Slysoft for what ever reason went out of business. Instead of paying the salaries owed to the developers they were given the rights to the program. They do not owe anything to those that chose to buy a LTL. As for a lawsuit. Who you going to sue? What country(ies) are the in? Seeing how your in the USA the MPAA would have a better chance of suing you for using AnyDVD HD to circumvent the copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't seen anything about how redfox acquired the rights to AnyDVD .
    That redfox now sells AnyDVD is an indication they have the rights .
    I believe that using those rights & selling AnyDVD attaches the contracts for AnyDVD made by Slysoft to redfox.
    That is a matter a court or courts in various countries would need to decide .

The answer to me suing is I won't . Not alone anyway .
    I don't have the funds or knowledge to start a class action suit.
    I just want it known that there are AnyDVD LTL owners that would join in a class action against redfox.

It would be attorneys hired by a group that would figure out who & where to sue .

The MPAA has no standing to sue over circumventing encryption.
    That is criminal law & a government prosecutor of federal level in the USA would need to do this.

The MPAA would sue for violating the copyright by making a copy .
    The MPAA has to be given authority by the copyright holder to do that .
    The MPAA acting as their agent.
    Only if ANYDVD was used to do the rip would it be involved .
    Decryption by AnyDVD doesn't violate copyright .
    The MPAA would be sue under civil law in the USA .

The MPAA files a complaint to a government to get a criminal case started .
    At some point a prosecutor has to decide if the case has merit .
    Then if the case is won in court by the prosecution a fine or even prison terms are given.
    The money from the fines goes to the government & not to the MPAA .

Just to note this post has more legal discussion than I had planned .
    Any complaint I have about redfox & any class action that might be started has nothing to do with the MPAA.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll bet cholla did not read his subscription agreement. LOL Typically subscription agreements state that obligations to subscrbers end if the company goes out of business. SlySoft went out of business.

RedFox didn't buy Slysoft, and isn't SlySoft operating under a new name. RedFox is a completely different entity, which merely acquired some of SlySoft assets (the software and forum) after SlySoft went out of business. In this type of situation, when a new company does honor agreements with the defunct company's customers, it's typically a good will gesture, not a legal requirement. Because Redfox is a startup they cannot afford to make much of a good will gesture. End of story
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2016 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I get your points .
    I haven't read the EULA for a long time & probably won't now.
    The implication of a company going "out of business" is products in this case software .
    Will cease to be sold also. The names of software sold by the company will cease to be used.

If redfox had renamed the software they are selling I would have much less argument.
    That isn't what redfox has done .

It would be for a court to decide whether there is a contractual agreement that still exists with the software name.
    My contention is it does . I bought a software named AnyDVD HD & that software is still being sold .
    As long as the name AnyDVD HD isn't "defunct" neither is the "subscription agreement" or EULA .
    Acquiring the software means also acquiring the agreement . Not just a "good will gesture".

Even if redfox had changed the name there might be a legal point to be decided by a court or courts but it would be a much more complicated one.

I don't insist anyone agree with me .
    I haven't seen exactly what redfox legally acquired from slysoft .
    Neither has anyone else but redfox employees .
    I believe only a court order would produce this information .
    Redfox may not have the legal rights for all anyone knows except for redfox employees .
    Probably not all of those .

I make the example I did before
    If DVDFab started marketing a software named AnyDVD HD someone would see what rights redfox has .
    That might not be the public .
    I'm certain redfox would be taking DVDFab to a court somewhere .
    Quote Quote  
  15. I think ron spencer said it best.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have some further comments regarding the RedFox Forum.(RedFox.bz Forums).
    See what you think about this:
    I had a problem with my password so I did a contact with their contact form.
    This is the response:
    Dear cholla,

I checked our forum server and do not see any reason why it should not work.
    Then I checked your forum posts and I do not see any reason why I should help you.

Kind regards,

Ivan
    RedFox Forum Administration
    The posts referred to are similar to what I have posted on this forum.
    I did manage to get the password problem fixed on my own.

If you post anything negative or want to see proof about what former slysoft & now RedFox employees have written on the RedFox website.
    You will be met with attitude especially by staff.
    Also don't call RedFox a "company".
    You will be informed it is a "source project". I don't remember if that is open or closed.

This is from the "super moderator" RedFox 1 :
    We are not Slysoft, we will not honor their licences. You can wait but I can assure you, you are going to wait a very long time. So if you don't own a V8 license, you really have no reason to be here. You can use your Slysoft V7 license forever. It still good for lifetime just not Redfox updates. Please do not bother me again. When you buy a RedFox license if have an issue you can then post on the forum for help if needed.Until then have a nice new year and please do not PM me back.
    RedFox 1
    I guess he didn't like my suggestion that RedFox.bz Forums should change it's name to RedFox Positive Feedback site.

Since he doesn't want me to PM him any more .
    I can't ask if the not having a version 8 license from RedFox for AnyDVD HD giving me
    no reason to be here.
    applies to the subforum for CloneDVD .I have a LTL for it.
    This is a sub-forum on the RedFox.bz Forums.
    Same for CloneCD(LTL) & Virtual Clone Drive(Freeware).
    I guess he forgot about those.

You can use your Slysoft V7 license forever. It still good for lifetime.
    Except there is no longer an "Online Protection Database" for version 7 to use with bluray.
    Which is one of the features purchased with AnyDVD HD.
    One more thing less than what was purchased.

IMO . Customers of slysoft have been lied to .
    Just a scam by slysoft to change the name & sell LTLs a second time.
    Same owner . Just running redfox behind the scenes.
    Given a storyline we are just supposed to accept as fact without any proof.
    With only that this saying applies: "It won't hold up in court" .
    Quote Quote  
  17. IMO, "lifetime license" for software is really stupid anyway.
    There is no way this can have any guaranty for any length of time.

@cholla, I sort of understand where you are coming from but even if your outlook is 100% accurate, you are going to have to accept the situation as it is.

You could use MakeMKV to do your blu-rays for free, hey, can't get any cheaper than that.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Belling the Cat - Aesop's Fables

"The Mice once called a meeting to decide on a plan to free themselves of their enemy, the Cat. At least they wished to find some way of knowing when she was coming, so they might have time to run away. Indeed, something had to be done, for they lived in such constant fear of her claws that they hardly dared stir from their dens by night or day.

Many plans were discussed, but none of them was thought good enough. At last a very young Mouse got up and said:

"I have a plan that seems very simple, but I know it will be successful. All we have to do is to hang a bell about the Cat's neck. When we hear the bell ringing we will know immediately that our enemy is coming."

All the Mice were much surprised that they had not thought of such a plan before. But in the midst of the rejoicing over their good fortune, an old Mouse arose and said: "I will say that the plan of the young Mouse is very good. But let me ask one question: Who will bell the Cat?

It is one thing to say that something should be done, but quite a different matter to do it."
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double Post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    IMO, "lifetime license" for software is really stupid anyway.
    There is no way this can have any guaranty for any length of time.

@cholla, I sort of understand where you are coming from but even if your outlook is 100% accurate, you are going to have to accept the situation as it is.

You could use MakeMKV to do your blu-rays for free, hey, can't get any cheaper than that.
    I'm wondering if this is a possible alternative to MakeMKV ?

https://sharewareonsale.com/s/sothink-blu-ray-copy-giveaway-coupon-sale

Anyway, it is free for a couple more days . . . .

But one would presumably still need either AnyDVD (or whatever it is called these days), or DVDFab, to pre-process protected discs.

Regardless of the merits of cholla's argument, the attitude shown by the Redfox rep is a prime example of people or companies I would not want to do business with.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  21. On their website it says a 3rd party decrypter is required. So no replacement for AnyDVD or MakeMKV.

http://www.sothinkmedia.com/blu-ray-copy.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    On their website it says a 3rd party decrypter is required. So no replacement for AnyDVD or MakeMKV.

http://www.sothinkmedia.com/blu-ray-copy.htm
    I was assuming that one would still need to decrypt them first, with one of the other products.
    So MakeMKV provides the decryption too ? I was not aware of that.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes, MakeMKV has inbuilt DVD and Blu-ray decryption.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well, I had the lifetime option for AnyDVD HD and after the whole charade was over, my lifetime license was no longer good, although the product had not reached the end of its life. So, don't tell me it was fair. But if they earn a living by producing software to circumvent copy protections, why not "circumvent" their own customers as well? Should fairness be expected?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    The best way to 'protest' to being treated onfairly by a business is to not buy their product anymore.

So, after my 'lifetime' license to AnyDVD HD lost its 'lifetimeness' when Redfox took over the brand "AnyDVD" from Slysoft, I bought a two year license to DVDFab.
    Last edited by vtpeters; 26th Dec 2017 at 07:32.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by vtpeters View Post
    The best way to 'protest' to you being treated unfairly by a business is to not buy their product anymore.
    Agreed. Then again, DVDfab is currently in a lot of legal trouble in the US, so although they keep selling lifetime licenses (and even plan on hiking up prices), I am just not sure how long that 'life' is going to be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by r1p.d34m0n View Post
    Originally Posted by vtpeters View Post
    The best way to 'protest' to you being treated unfairly by a business is to not buy their product anymore.
    Agreed. Then again, DVDfab is currently in a lot of legal trouble in the US, so although they keep selling lifetime licenses (and even plan on hiking up prices), I am just not sure how long that 'life' is going to be.
    That maybe so but didn't Dvdfab all say if they push there luck to far they would just open source and then it will next to impossible for them kill it off LoL
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Originally Posted by r1p.d34m0n View Post
    That maybe so but didn't Dvdfab all say if they push there luck to far they would just open source and then it will next to impossible for them kill it off LoL
    DVDFab is made by a Chinese company. I don't believe the US governments' arm is long enough to shut them down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab is made by a Chinese company. I don't believe the US governments' arm is long enough to shut them down.
    I know where it made at vtpeters but you forget that if the Chinese governments get enough pressure then that the end of there party.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They moved to:https://forum.redfox.bz/
    Quote Quote