VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lady friend has a Dell XPS 8700, running Windows 8.1.

She started burning a lot of DVD-R discs but is getting verify errors on about 1 out of every 20 or so burns at 8x and even 4x burn speeds. The burn verify errors happen using Imgburn or the Windows 8.1 ISO burner. She is using Verbatim DVD blanks that she bought from amazon. I think the problem is the internal DVD optical drive that came with the XPS 8700.

Any suggestions for a very reliable burner for DVD-R discs that she can buy? I can install it for her. (DVD-R because she already bought 200 Verbatim DVD-R blank discs.)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD burners, they are mostly the same, IMO. Never had any problems with various brands.

But I still recommend Pioneer for the most dependable, though I haven't tried the newest model, maybe a Pioneer DVR-S21LBK.\

One source: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6UM2TN6843&cm_re=pioneer_dvd_burne...6843-_-Product
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Are they Verbatim AZO discs, or Verbatim Life Series discs? The Life Series are plain old CMC Magnetics, and hit or miss on quality.

If they are AZO, then virtually any drive should be able to burn them reasonably well, especially a desktop burner. ImgBurn should be able to tell you the make and model of the drive you have now, and even the current firmware.

There aren't any outstanding drives on the market today outside of a few Blu-ray burners, like the Pioneer 209 or the LG WH14NS40 or LG WH16NS40. Those are much more expensive than the plain DVD drives however. If choosing from the DVD burners, there really isn't much difference in quality. The Asus drives are rebadged, and probably made by LG with different firmware. Lite-on and Samsung have traditionally been less picky about media, so you might try one of them. None of the DVD burners is very expensive (outside of that Pioneer linked by redwudz...whoa).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    For DVD burners, they are mostly the same, IMO. Never had any problems with various brands.

But I still recommend Pioneer for the most dependable, though I haven't tried the newest model, maybe a Pioneer DVR-S21LBK.\

One source: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6UM2TN6843&cm_re=pioneer_dvd_burne...6843-_-Product
    Thank you for your recommendation. Will check it out.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Are they Verbatim AZO discs, or Verbatim Life Series discs? The Life Series are plain old CMC Magnetics, and hit or miss on quality.

If they are AZO, then virtually any drive should be able to burn them reasonably well, especially a desktop burner. ImgBurn should be able to tell you the make and model of the drive you have now, and even the current firmware.

There aren't any outstanding drives on the market today outside of a few Blu-ray burners, like the Pioneer 209 or the LG WH14NS40 or LG WH16NS40. Those are much more expensive than the plain DVD drives however. If choosing from the DVD burners, there really isn't much difference in quality. The Asus drives are rebadged, and probably made by LG with different firmware. Lite-on and Samsung have traditionally been less picky about media, so you might try one of them. None of the DVD burners is very expensive (outside of that Pioneer linked by redwudz...whoa).
    They are AZO discs. Good info that Asus drives are rebadged. And thanks for the Lite-on and Samsung info about being less picky about media.

Mike
    Quote Quote