VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi I have just purchased this vcr with this odd fault. When you plug the unit in, the video head drum spins up and does not stop. Has anyone heard of this problem and how it may be repaired? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Could be a bad sensor and/or the microprocessor has gone insane. Is there a reset button anywhere on the unit?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could also be a mechanical problem where the loading gears are out of alignment.Unless it's a top end vcr just return it or get another one.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the help. Yes it is a top end vcr, I purchased it with this fault, it was so cheap I thought I would give it a go since this is a really nice unit.
    I will have to examine it closely when it arrives. Maybe the unit thinks there's a tape still in it? might be a bad sensor or a mechanical problem like you say. Nice avatar is that Muppet Angel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jawasmell View Post
    Nice avatar is that Muppet Angel.
    Ya,it's from the episode where Angel gets turned into a muppet.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    So I had a look at this unit today. When you first plug it in the head drum spins up to a huge velocity, and carries on for about 15 seconds. It then goes into standby mode displaying error E9. Then if I press the power on button it spins up again for about 5 seconds then stops then a couple of short bursts. then it goes normal operation plays a tape, and everything operates normally. I had a look at the service manual and it says, serial clock transmission error. Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	35922Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	35921Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	35920
    Quote Quote  
  7. In your original post, I wasn't 100% sure whether you first ran the unit before opening it up. There are several sensors in many VCRs that measure light, and they are fooled by the lights around your workbench. Someone who works on these all the time knows what sensors to cover to stop these "malfunctions," but you'd have to be familiar with each unit. So, does this problem happen when you put the cover back on?

Also, if the unit eventually operates, maybe you should just live with the quirk and use the VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately it does it with the cover on too, not sure this is the kind quirk you should really ignore, if it does it say with a tape in it could be bad. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I stripped it down today re-greased, cleaned the mode switch checked all connections checked the sensors they all are giving an reading. Put it all back together, still does it. Also had a look at the power supply there where some dry points fixed them, still does it. But i did notice a bulged capacitor esr was 3 should be about 0.1 started to wonder about the rest of the caps in there. Maybe this is the problem it's not supplying the right voltage to the controller of the head drum when it is first turned on but as soon as it warms up it goes fine again. Do you think this could be the cause? I am thinking about recapping the power supply to see if this fixes the problem. Possible?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Finally managed to fix it, stripped down again removed every ribbon cable to clean the contacts removed the front display dioxit was used on the switches capacitors checked all good on front panel, suspect solder joints were repaired. Power supply caps replaced and all bad solder joints repaired. 9 out 0f 15 of the caps were reading high esr. So now she is working well. but because of all that I cannot say for sure what the problem was but its results that count. Right? Thanks for your help everyone.
    Quote Quote