VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a video with an identically named srt file together in the same folder but I cannot get subtitles to show. If I right click on the video while it's playing, Subtitle Track is greyed out. I don't have the same problem with other media players, like GOM Player or Daum Potplayer, but MPC-HC just will not show the subtitles.

PS I've just discovered MPC-HC won't show embedded subtitles either.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go into settings, "Playback"->"Output" and:
    1. Select "Internal Subtitle Renderer" as "Subtitle Renderer"
    2. Select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" below "Direct Show Video".

Note that "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" is not available on every system. If you have Windows XP you may need to install .NET runtime 3.0 and/or latest DirectX, on an "N" version of Windows you might need the "Media feature Pack" from Microsoft. As an alternative you can select another video renderer from the drop-down list, like "Overlay Mixer Renderer" or "Video Mixing Renderer 9". Just make sure it has the green cross for "Subtitles".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Go into settings, "Playback"->"Output" and:
    1. Select "Internal Subtitle Renderer" as "Subtitle Renderer"
    2. Select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" below "Direct Show Video".

Note that "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" is not available on every system. If you have Windows XP you may need to install .NET runtime 3.0 and/or latest DirectX, on an "N" version of Windows you might need the "Media feature Pack" from Microsoft. As an alternative you can select another video renderer from the drop-down list, like "Overlay Mixer Renderer" or "Video Mixing Renderer 9". Just make sure it has the green cross for "Subtitles".
    Sorry for taking SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to get back about this. That worked perfectly, thanks! I have Windows 8.1 so EVR (cp) wasn't a problem.

I'm now having another problem though. I have a video with an identically named .SUB file together in the same folder but I cannot get subtitles to show. If I right click on the video while it's playing, Subtitle Track is greyed out. I DO have the same problem with other media players, like GOM Player or Daum Potplayer.

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Have you tried clicking Ctrl L while the movie is playing?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Have you tried clicking Ctrl L while the movie is playing?
    Just tried that, and double-clicked the .sub file, but Subtitle Track was still greyed out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is this the graphics-based SUB file? If you open it in Notepad you see gibberish and it will be several MB in size if for a whole movie. Or is this the text-based SUB file which when opened in Notepad shows the dialog and is 100 KB or thereabouts? If graphics-based it needs the corresponding IDX file to work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Is this the graphics-based SUB file? If you open it in Notepad you see gibberish and it will be several MB in size if for a whole movie. Or is this the text-based SUB file which when opened in Notepad shows the dialog and is 100 KB or thereabouts? If graphics-based it needs the corresponding IDX file to work.
    GREAT! Thanks! Problem solved! When I opened it in Notepad, it was gibberish. And it's 4.41 MB. I don't have the IDX file but at least I now know what was causing the problem. Thanks again.

EDIT: Found the IDX file, put it in the folder, and now the subtitles are working perfectly. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 25th Apr 2016 at 16:32.
    Quote Quote