VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I am trying to capture video in MP4 format using my Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus. Currently I am capturing recordings off of DirecTV. The problem I am running into is that almost every capture is either cut short or starts late. When I hit record in the program it appears to be recording the entire time. However, when I hit stop and go back to check what was recorded a clip that should be 4 minutes may have only recorded for 3 minutes 30 seconds. The time that is cut seems to be completely random and can happen at the start, end or both. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if more info will help here. Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by undrtkrajt8 View Post
    Hello, I am trying to capture video in MP4 format using my Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus. Currently I am capturing recordings off of DirecTV. The problem I am running into is that almost every capture is either cut short or starts late. When I hit record in the program it appears to be recording the entire time. However, when I hit stop and go back to check what was recorded a clip that should be 4 minutes may have only recorded for 3 minutes 30 seconds. The time that is cut seems to be completely random and can happen at the start, end or both. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if more info will help here. Thanks so much.
    What software are you using to capture, WinTV, Hauppauge Capture, or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. I am using the Hauppauge Capture software that came with the device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TS is the native capture format for the HD-PVR 2. What happens if you capture to TS instead?
    Quote Quote  
  5. The TS files capture the entire clip but I was running into an issue with the video editor than I am using...Wondershare Filmora. That issue seemed to be resolved by using MP4s and I would settle for capturing MP4s if there was a way to ensure the entire clip got recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by undrtkrajt8 View Post
    The TS files capture the entire clip but I was running into an issue with the video editor than I am using...Wondershare Filmora. That issue seemed to be resolved by using MP4s and I would settle for capturing MP4s if there was a way to ensure the entire clip got recorded.
    As far as I know, direct to MP4 capture has never worked well for the HD-PVR 2 with any capture software that supports the device. Hauppauge Capture has an Export to MP4 option which repackages the video and audio from the TS to an MP4 without re-encoding. Have you tried that? Does it work properly?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I have tried that and it results in the video being cut off at the beginning and/or end as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a Hauppauge Colossus rather than a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2. I recorded in TS format because I had seen posts here warning that MP4 capture was problematic for all Hauppauge's HD capture devices.

To be honest, I have never tried VideoPad. I was already using VideoReDo Plus for editing TS files from my ATSC TV tuner card, and when I saw that VideoReDo TVSuite was recommended as a good choice for editing the Colossus's TS files, I upgraded to VideoReDo TVSuite. It has an H.264 MP4 option for saving edits, although I don't use it. I don't have any hardware or software players that dislike TS files, other than DVD players (which don't play any media files in most cases).

I found this ffmpeg command line, which copies the audio and video from a TS file to an MP4, although I don't know if it will work any better than MP4 export from Hauppauge Capture
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i x.ts -c:a copy -c:v copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc x.mp4
    Quote Quote