Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello guys
    i am sure this is comon problem
    but i follow many settings in vegas to get good quality
    in video
    but still i get blurr
    i read problem may be frame as i record in one frame rate and encode in other
    i think this may be problem
    i record in camtasia at 30fps, and encode in vegas at 29.970fps
    please guys, can this be problem for blurry?
    spasibo
    Quote Quote  
  2. It could very well be the reason -- though it's more accurately called "blending." Do you have any particular reason not to keep the frame rate the same as the source?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The default in Vegas is to perform frame rate conversions by blending frames/fields. Turn off the "smart resample" option if you don't want that.

Of course, we don't know what else you're doing so there may be other reasons for the "blur".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no reason, just that i can't change camtasia fps to 29.970
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i turned off resampling in vegas also

raw video is uncompressed avi, from camtasia at 30fps and fraps at 29.970

in the encoded video, should not the raw video recorded at 29.970 be crisp also, seeing i'm encoding at the same fps?
    while the video at 30fps appear blurry?

or does the encode somehow screw everything up in the length of the full video, regardless of originals?
    Last edited by ricmetal; 17th Feb 2016 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's not blending, it might be chroma subsampling. If you've screencapped in RGB mode with fraps, but exported in some 4:2:0 format, the "sharp" color edges will become "blurry"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling#4:2:0

Look at the pictures - is that what you mean ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post
    no reason, just that i can't change camtasia fps to 29.970
    Yes you can change the framerate. But if the fraps was at 30.0 - are those sections "blurry" as well?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I suspect your blurriness if srom chroma subsampling. Are you talking about small colored text or other small colored objects? Video is normally encoded with chroma subsampling which blurs colors. For example a 1920x1080 RGB screen recording may be converted to YUV 4:2:0 resulting in the greyscale image (Y) being 1920x1080 but the colors (U and V) being encoded at 960x540. So small colored objects become blurry, especially small text with single pixel thick strokes. Example:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319360-DVD-LAB-PRO-color-map?p=1977264&viewfull=1#post1977264
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im sorry but the images in the wiki all look very similar to me

here's is a sample of the encoded video from the 30fps raw video recorded in camtasia. no blur.

here's a sample of the encoded video from the 29.970fps raw video recorded in fraps. major blur. especially noticeable on the text.

weird turn of events it seems
    the second screenshot, was recorded at the same fps (in fraps) as the encoded video's fps, and is blurry
    the first screenshot, was recorded at 30fps (in camtasia), a different fps as the encoded video, and does not look blurry
    so is the difference from 30 to 29.970 not enough to create a visible distinction?

what does this mean overall?
    does this have to do with the rgb settings? in fraps, i recorded the video with the lossless RGB capture de-selected btw.

and how do i get camtasia to record at 29.970?
    it only allows me to input 3 digits, with no symbols like a coma
    i found the setting in the screen recorder, then: tools, options, inputs.
    Last edited by ricmetal; 17th Feb 2016 at 09:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The kind of blur that Vegas would cause with resampling would only effect moving objects and will look like double exposures.

The blurring from chroma subsampling will happen with colors in any video. Your game image seems to have more blur than I would expect from that though. What does the original image look like? Was the game being played at 1920x1080? And captured at 1920x1080?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is an image of the original video recorded with fraps
    https://i.imgsafe.org/b78e110.jpg
    as you can see it looks perfect

the video was recorded in 1920*1080, so is the resolution of the game..

these are my vegas settings - just as a point of interest
    https://i.imgsafe.org/0dd026c.png
    the bitrate is over the top, i know, but i tried to get rid of the blur by messing with settings.
    Last edited by ricmetal; 17th Feb 2016 at 10:36.
    Quote Quote  
  12. There's definitely something more than chroma subsampling going on with your Vegas image. Are you sure you're not down sizing somewhere in the processing? Did you start with a 720p project?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    let's see:

my project properties in vegas is 1920*1080
    https://i.imgsafe.org/ad5d04e.png

my vegas render settings is 1920*1080
    https://i.imgsafe.org/0dd026c.png

my original fraps video is 1920*1080
    https://i.imgsafe.org/41a0285.png

the final video's setting is 1920*1080
    https://i.imgsafe.org/3a23ec2.png

i wouldn't know where else i could be down sizing...

edit: i don't know if i started with a 720p project, but i assume i can change the project's properties to another resolution without interference, or no?
    Last edited by ricmetal; 17th Feb 2016 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not sure what's going on and why only the fraps footage is affected (despite it being the correct frame rate) .

(It's not a frame rate / smart resampling issue because only some frames are blended, and you said you disabled it anyways)

What do the sections with fraps footage look like within vegas's preview before exporting ? Have you tried disabling GPU/CUDA on export and/or tried other export formats ? Try uncompressed AVI for example (just render a small section for a quick test). And what does mediainfo (view=>text) report on the exported file that looks bad?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, the preview video actually looks like crap. i never noticed it because i had the video resized to fit and looked way better.
    it looks pretty much like the exported video.

no, wait..

https://i.imgsafe.org/617721d.png
    i don't know what that preview button does, but setting it to anything else other than preview, full, gives that blur we see in the exported video.
    Last edited by ricmetal; 17th Feb 2016 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did you have the preview set to full / best quality ? If the preview is already "crappy" then the problem likely occurs before exporting (all the things like encoding settings etc... probably aren't relevant)

If you start a new project , 1920x1080 progressive, and drop some fraps footage onto the timeline, look at the preview set on best - what does it look like ? What if you import that fraps footage into something else like vdub ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    updated the post above, sorry.
    preview set on best looks like crap
    Quote Quote  
  18. Can you answer the other questions (I edited the post above, maybe before your last reply)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes,
    importing a fraps video into a new project gets me a good quality in preview, best, full.
    and in vdub it looks good too.
    i havent tried disabling cuda but the problem doesn't appear to be that, right - but ill give it a go to see the results.
    also, i'm only using uncompressed avi.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Not sure why if it works fine in a new project...that suggests it's a project specific problem. Check to make sure you haven't done something like scaling, blur filter etc...Try reloading the footage (you can even move them or rename the folder and relink them to force vegas to re import)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i'll try to reload the footage
    but on a side note, every encode mode in vegas rendered blur video, within this new project as well
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post
    ok, i'll try to reload the footage
    but on a side note, every encode mode in vegas rendered blur video, within this new project as well
    Tackle one problem at a time . If the preview is accurate and already blurry, then no export settings tweaking will make much of a difference . That type of blur on export might be different - the chroma subsampling or "color blurring" that was mentioned earlier depending on what you exported
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, but i rather not have to reload stuff just yet, it sounds like my plan b, even because,
    i think there is a discrepancy between vegas' project settings and the video,
    because when, in a new project, i adjust vegas' project settings to match the fraps video,
    the preview looks fine
    but,
    if i don't match the project settings with the fraps video,
    the preview looks like crap

there are a lot of settings to be seen

one that pops out right in the main ui is

something to do with the resolution:
    the video says 1920*1080*24
    while the preview and project say: 1920*1080*128
    and there's a display info on resolution that says 1920*1080*32

these are different numbers that i don't like
    what are they and do they make any difference?

https://i.imgsafe.org/dbd3f25.png
    Quote Quote  
  24. 32 and 24 aren't relevant, it's just RGB24 and RGB32 (one with alpha channel) .The 128 is bizzare - not sure what that is

But your field order= upper field first means it's being deinterlaced. That for sure will cause it to look blurry. Make sure the clips are interpreted as progressive (right click the clip, properties)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    omg! thank yooou!
    this has got to be the worst fail in history - not me though, vegas!
    i would half expected the program to match the video's field order with the project settings' field order!
    anyway, thanks again man. this blur has been tormenting me for some time!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes I'm not sure why vegas would "think" it's interlaced. Mediainfo reports progressive for example
    Quote Quote  
  27. Under the project properties in Vegas you do have the option to automatically match your project settings to any footage you select.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix, i do do that, but the files in the media section dont get the settings from the project.

poison, you said i can change the frame rate in camtasia to 29.970.
    how do i do that?
    i'm the settings (in the recorder) "tools", "options", "inputs", "screen frame rate" but it won't allow me to insert this specific value..
    Last edited by ricmetal; 20th Feb 2016 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  29. hmm I though you could change the framerate to fractional/drop frame values in camtasia but it doesn't work... sorry. You can change the frame rate in vegas
    Quote Quote