VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a noob and am having a nightmare trying to edit the mp4s that my phone creates.

If I could edit them in windows movie maker I'd be happy but it doesn't like the files. I read that I should convert them to WMV in Handbrake but Handbrake doesn't have this option for export. I converted a few to M4V but movie maker just crashes and it won't even open the MKV converted files.

I also have a demo of Sony Platinum running which accepted the m4vs ok but I cant compile the movie now that it's edited.

I've tried renaming the files as .mov but nothing likes them when I do that!

Can anyone just give me an idea of what (and how) I should convert these files so that I can edit my home movies without tearing out any of the little hair I have left?

Any help very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although I don't recommend it, you can convert your phone mp4's into wmv with XmediaRecode. Personally, I would just use a better video editor. See if this converted clip will play well in you video editor.
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Step 1 would be to download MediaInfo, and post the information it finds about one of these files you are having trouble with.

Should produce something like http://pastebin.com/D381HZv9

You can post you info here, I just used pastebin as it's long and just an example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also sounds like complications due to VFR. Use a converter that properly supports vfr input (while creating cfr output).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I don't do any video stuff with my phone, and so would not be familiar with whatever sort of MP4 files they may create. That said, I have been editing a fair amount of MP4 files lately with Machete (but not the Lite version that is free, which is more limited re file formats support), and this has been quite satisfactory. Keyframe-based edits only however, no frame-accurate editing -- which has not been that much of a sacrifice to me, so far. I'm favoring the ease-of-learning / ease-of-use factor right now.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Never mind, sorry.
    Last edited by pandy; 16th Feb 2016 at 02:01.
    Quote Quote