VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a starting point to resolve a DVD authoring problem.

Here's what I'm doing:
    1. I have many commercial VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVDs before my VCR dies. For most of them, I play them into a capture device to digitize and then use DVD Styler to convert and burn them to DVD. This works well.
    2. Since this is time consuming, I "cheated a bit". For some, I've downloaded a copy from the internet. (I justify that since I have purchased the VHS tape). I then use DVD Styler to convert and burn to a DVD.

My Problem:
    For some (but not all) downloaded videos, the resulting DVD will freeze every 3 to 10 minutes. It will only restart if I press "skip" then "play".

In part, here's what I have done:
    1. Used MediaInfo to look at the downloaded videos. There is no total commonality but most are MPEG-4 (Base Media) with an AVC video stream.
    2. I've converted some of the downloaded videos that originally failed to MPEG-2, then used DVD Flick to convert them to DVD and used CD BurnerXP to burn the DVD.
    3. Some DVDs are OK others still freeze. Again, I can't find any commonality in the file format for the failures.

I'm using Memorex DVD-Rs from a 100 spindle. I've used about 80 of these DVDs on the same DVD burner for other projects and not had a single failure.

My default is to use to digitize the original VHS tape but I'd like to find the problem (for my education if nothing else).

Does anyone have a suggestion where I might look for the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. It's not okey to download videos even if you own the VHS.

You should buy the VHS, DVD, BLu-ray and soon Blu-ray 4K!!!!

Or else use AVSTODVD instead of the old dead dvdflick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a guess....lower the bit rate quality setting
    Old 4:3 VHS video will take up less space
    If you are using max bit rate to fill the disc
    You have a bit rate that is too high
    keep VHS conversion keep bit rate below 4k, 2500>3000 should work well for what you are doing

I agree use Avs2dvd,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    No. It's not okey to download videos even if you own the VHS.

You should buy the VHS, DVD, BLu-ray and soon Blu-ray 4K!!!!
    I understand and my conscience is bothering me a bit. However, I don't see the difference between digitizing the VHS tape which I have purchased and downloading a video that someone else has produced. In either case, I get a copy of the movie that I have already purchased. As I understand it, in purchasing the VHS tape I have paid a royalty to the originator. It seems a bit overkill to buy the DVD too and end up paying the royalty twice. In the end, I'll only be using one copy.

To sooth my conscience, I'm thinking about the old Borland Quattro Pro licence. That licence allowed you to copy the program to as many devices as you wanted as long as you were only using one at a time. They equated it to buying a book and loaning to someone else to read.

Am I rationalizing too much?

BTW I've downloaded AVS2DVD and will try it.

Thank-you
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i can understand how you feel
    but you'll get no sympathy from the moderators, they are bound by rules, they can not change
    its a subject best left unspoken
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    i can understand how you feel
    but you'll get no sympathy from the moderators, they are bound by rules, they can not change
    its a subject best left unspoken
    Done!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the issue about the download is quite straight-forward(in my eyes). The person who has shared that has violated the copyright since the encode is no longer for his own use.

By downloading it, you encourage more violation.

Strictly speaking, ownership of the VHS does not allow you to do anything but play it. That is your licence. But there exists this convention (unwritten ?) of 'fair-use' which the site supports of format-shifting/backup. As long as you do not share and simply do for your own use.

And the site can not do anything else to help else it is seen to encourage copyright violation and could get in to serious trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I get the message.

I'll give up on the downloaded videos and digitize my VHS tapes. It will take more time but at least that should conform the the fair use view. It will probably solve my DVD burning issue too.

Sorry to have raised such a controversial issue.
    Quote Quote