VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry if this has been answered, but I have searched and did not find my answer, in short, witch vcrs have a digital tuner?
    I am looking at just using an old second hand vcr/dvd player/recorder or just VCR to use as a tuner, and record some off air shows.
    I have seen several "used" Toshiba/Sony/ ETC. vcr/dvd combos for sale but they dont show if they are ATSC "digital" tuners, is there a list of models that would show that? or a list of models by year? because I could figure it out by year if I knew what model was mfg. in what year.
    Thank you for any help, and I have searched Google for such a list and I came up empty, so I would really appreciate any info.
    PS, I have a Tablo, 3 Roku's and a PC with HDMI capture card in my living room & br's for my Dish set up, this is for my garage, and yes I am adding an additional network Access point close to my garage to add another Roku but still want the tuner as I have an extra antenna there.
    Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There may be more, but the only DVD/VCR combo units with ATSC digital tuners that I can recall are the Magnavox ZV450MW8, JVC DRMV150B, LG RC897T, Panasonic DMR-EZ47V and Panasonic DMR-EZ48VP-K. There were no VCRs with digital tuners.

Unless you really want to record on DVDs or VHS casettes, you might be better off with one of the new converter boxes with the ability to record to an external hard drive (not included) like the Mediasonic HomeWorx HW-150PVR, Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB, or Viewtv AT-163.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Feb 2016 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ....and I believe the Panasonic models mentioned won't allow you to record from the digital tuner to VCR, only from analog channels or line inputs to the VCR side. I could be wrong but if thats important to you, you should really verify it works to VHS.
    Truthfully if you wanted to record from a digital tuner to VHS I'd just get a VHS recorder and CECB or digital tuner. Feed the CECBs line output to the line input of the VCR and record, easy peasy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. usually_quiet,
    Thank you so much, I have been looking for an inexpensive way to record ATSC signal and all I had seen was the Tablo and it is expensive, it has 4 tuners and is great with my Roku but these usb recorders you showed me are perfect for my shop.
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Quote Quote