VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Ubuntu 14.04

I'm in the process of converting movies from .MKV to .MP4. I convert some, then once completed, remove the .mkv file, leaving the .mp4. As the .mp4 file is slightly smaller than the .MKV, my free space should be the same, or slightly more, however, I'm losing space i this process. for every 10GB's of files I convert, I lose 10GB's of space. So my question is....does avconv/ffmeg create temp files while processing movies, and if so, how can I find these to clean them up and reclaim my disk space?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. exactly how did you "remove the .mkv file" ? Those numbers are suspicious for you forgetting to empty the trash folder (permanently deleting the mkv)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I would agree, and hope that's the case...as Linux is not my forte. However, I've looked for /home/your_username/.local/share/Trash and it is not there. The part of the path shown that i can get to is /home. Looking around, people have said that the Trash folder may not exist until you delete something, but as I have, shouldn't it be created?

I'm using "rm" to delete the mkv's

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try creating a new directory, set the batch file to save the outputs to the new directory, then manually delete the old directory when finished.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. The first place to look for temp files is /tmp, you can try
    list files including hidden ones
    Code:
    ls -lah /tmp
    get the total size of /tmp or any directory
    Code:
    du -sh /tmp
    To check your free space
    Code:
    df -h
    To check for files above 500 MB that are not mp4 or mkv, iname means case insensitive so mkv and MKV will be excluded. Tweak to your liking.
    Code:
    find /your/path/ -type f -size +500M  ! -iname "*.mp4" ! -iname "*.mkv"
    Last edited by ackboo; 14th Feb 2016 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Created a folder: /user/home/test cp a file movie*.mp4, rm to delete the movie and checked for "Trash" folder...still not there.

Code:
    ls -lah /tmp
    total 16K

Code:
    du -sh /tmp
    20K /tmp

Code:
    df -h
    /dev/sda1 2.0T 1.5T 463G 77% /
    *...this was 497GB I converted 30GB of movies from MKV to MP4 and was at ~437GB, delete3d the .MKV's and shortly after returned to 463GB.

Code:
    find /your/path/ -type f -size +500M  ! -iname "*.mp4" ! -iname "*.mkv"
    This showed a few files that are still avi, and one that is named ".mkv.IF6Jkf", so not sure if this is a remnant of an interrupted process and is the temp fiel that avconv/ffmpeg creates and if so, where would the other ones be (just a guess)

thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  7. rm to delete the movie and checked for "Trash" folder...still not there.
    rm deletes files, period, it doesn't put files in the trash. Try to reboot the machine and do a df -h afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This showed a few files that are still avi, and one that is named ".mkv.IF6Jkf",
    Assuming this is a remnant and that the naming is consistent try
    Code:
    find /your/path/ -type f -name "*.mkv.??????"
    If nothing is returned try running this on the root directory, this will require the use of sudo so be very careful.
    Code:
    find / -type f -name "*.mkv.??????"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Well, now it's a complete mystery to me.

I used
    Code:
    find -type f -iname ".*" -ls
    followed by this
    Code:
    find -type d -iname ".*" -ls
    Neither one showed me anything I hadn't seen before. I install "tree"
    Code:
    tree -h -A /videos > /videos/ouput.txt
    I brought the list back over to my desktop, imported into Excel, filtered and started scanning...I noticed there were multiple instances of the .mkv and the .mp4 for the same file. Went back to the terminal to see how hard it would be to locate them, and now they are showing in the directory. I then ran
    Code:
    df -h
    and I'm back up to 493G free.

So as I said in the first line...a complete mystery to me. I had avconv running yesterday for 5 hrs straight till I killed it. Has it taken this long for Ubuntu file system to catch up?...
    Quote Quote  
  10. I guess it has to do with this
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/332629/rm-not-freeing-diskspace
    Maybe plex was still trying to read the files and delayed the free space recovery.

Another possibility is that your hdd or filesystem is dying.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the help everyone, greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote