VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could anyone please tell me why my home video files, when played as a playlist within VLC, go from playing perfectly to then having the video breakup?. The files were played from my external harddrive, and I was trying to find a way of playing the files within the folder in a playlist, so that each individual video would play one after the other. I was also trying to the use the record button within VLC to record so they would be recorded as a single file. Is it a problem with the hard-drive not being able to keep with playback, or it could be something else such as the files may be corrupted, or maybe VLC?. The files are in HD (1080p, 720p) .mts. The videos play very well at first, which it should as it is a new laptop with 8GB RAM and Quad Core Processor, but after about playing 5 or 6 files the picture starts to break up quite abit.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried another player and see if you get same problems? Like Potplayer or Smplayer?

Or do just want to use VLC? With the recording function then.

And this is not any capturing. MOving you to our software player section.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Feb 2016 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What breaks up, what is playing, or the recorded file
    Have you checked the recorded file to see how it play's at that point in time

And why are you doing a play and record to combine them
    Why not use an editor program and combine them
    And how long are these files
    I'm guessing they are short anime episodes, if you are wanting to combine them

Best guess as to the actual problem you are experiencing, is thru put problem, data flow each way is exceeding the buffer capacity of the hard drive
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    What breaks up, what is playing, or the recorded file
    Have you checked the recorded file to see how it play's at that point in time

And why are you doing a play and record to combine them
    Why not use an editor program and combine them
    And how long are these files
    I'm guessing they are short anime episodes, if you are wanting to combine them

Best guess as to the actual problem you are experiencing, is thru put problem, data flow each way is exceeding the buffer capacity of the hard drive
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I played back the file the recording only recorded one file within the playlist. It must've stopped recording after the first video played. I played back one of the original files seperately, and it seemed OK though looked abit choppy but not as bad. On my old laptop, alot of these files dont play very well, but which is understandable given thats its an older laptop with only 3GB RAM and slower processor, but my new laptop seems to play them well (when played seperately that is). The reason I tried this was just as an experiment to see if I could record the HD files in VLC as a playlist and record the sequence. I kind of gave up using AVS-DVD because the last time I tried the software (converting files to an iso/UDF format), for some reason, AVS didn't complete the conversion; I had imported 64 files (which was the limit, apparently), but it had only converted 23, despite there being plenty of HD space and memory. There was no message saying the process had been completed.

I think you could be right about the buffer and data flow of the hard drive possibly causing the problem. Maybe I should copy/transfer the files onto the internal HD. The files are quite large, but vary: some are about 250mb, whilst others are about 40mb. Lengths vary: some are a few seconds long and others are about 2 or 3 minutes long.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK not animae
    by editor, i mean video file editor, NOT create DVD, not avi2dvd
    virtualDub, aviDemux, womble, videoRedo, and other such programs
    used for editing video content BEFORE conversion to dvd or other media
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by technicality1 View Post
    I kind of gave up using AVS-DVD because the last time I tried the software (converting files to an iso/UDF format), for some reason, AVS didn't complete the conversion; I had imported 64 files (which was the limit, apparently), but it had only converted 23, despite there being plenty of HD space and memory. There was no message saying the process had been completed.
    AVStoDVD creates a log file in the same folder as the DVD files. If there is a log file for him to examine, _MrC_ can help you figure out what went wrong.

Originally Posted by technicality1 View Post
    I think you could be right about the buffer and data flow of the hard drive possibly causing the problem. Maybe I should copy/transfer the files onto the internal HD. The files are quite large, but vary: some are about 250mb, whilst others are about 40mb. Lengths vary: some are a few seconds long and others are about 2 or 3 minutes long.
    In your other thread, you said your files were in MTS format. You can easily fit quite a few files on a DVD if all are between 40MB and 250MB in size. Even the best regular DVD media, Verbatim AZO DVD+R or DVD-R, is still relatively inexpensive, so you can use many DVDs without putting yourself in the poorhouse. Burn more than one copy for added safely, or use an external HDD as a secondary backup. You would use ImgBurn's "Write files/folders to disc" setting to burn your files as data. A DVD player won't play these discs, but a PC can, and it is possible some Blu-Ray players would as well. Try burning one data DVD as a test.
    Quote Quote